Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Swamprat  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:55:07 AM(UTC)
Swamprat

Groups: Registered

I have a hidden bake element and it needs to be changed out. Do I go in from the bottom of the stove, or do I completely take the back of the stove right off. Remember this element is hidden.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Swamprat  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:56:49 AM(UTC)
Swamprat

How do I change out a hidden bake element. From the bottom or from the back of the stove?
Gene  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:18:48 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The model number you posted does not come up. Verify and repost it. If this not American model then post some pictures of the oven - it might help.

Gene.
smith162  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2021 3:57:52 PM(UTC)
smith162

Canada

This reply is many years after the original post, but it took this long for my oven to finally break down. I am guessing this Kenmore model was popular across Canada with perhaps hundreds sold, so hopefully someone else can find this post helpful.

In my case, the model C880 665020L0 is a Kenmore glass-top electric range, purchased in 2004 (Ontario, Canada).

The lower bake element (hidden) died spectacularly with a loud voltage shorting sound, and the lights briefly dimming throughout the house.

At first we didn't realize it was the oven. We were still cooking for a couple of meals but noticed that the food was not cooked, and finally noticed that the oven was warm but not hot. This oven model actually uses the broil element and bake element at the same time to heat up, so it wasn't initially clear that the bake element was dead.

I did the initial tests:
- Temperature sensor impedance ok (access through back panel).
- Voltage reaching the bake element when turned on (access described below).
- Bake element - infinite impedance (bad).

On this model, the bake element access is fortunately simple. Viewing from the front of the stove, the bake element is accessed by removing the right-hand side sheet metal panel. No need to remove anything at the back or the glass-top. The side panel is only held by 3 screws (one underneath near floor level, inside by the drawer) and two at the back. Slide the panel slightly forward and it should separate.

Next, at the split in the insulation batting, the two wires and connectors attach to the bake element prongs. The connectors pull off (carefully, not by pulling on the wire). One of my connectors actually melted or broke off from the wire when the bake element shorted, so I had to crimp on a new one. Lift the insulation to see two screws holding the bake element, and the sheet metal wall of the bake element tray. A large section of the tray wall comes out with another screw. The bake element can then be slid out. My bake element had a gap where it had recently melted.

The next trick was finding a similar element. If you found this post, you probably already know that information is almost non-existent for these Kenmore stove models. Fortunately, the bake element metal plate had a model number and rating information:

LR66863, and another number E75856
And specs: 250V, 2500W

However these turned out to be virtually useless on a web search. This element has odd dimensions (~ 13" wide x 21" long) and nothing that came up looked remotely similar.

Finally by searching for the dimensions themselves, I found it - seemingly the perfect match:

WP9752294

The look, dimensions, and wattage were the same.

It was available from many appliance parts sites, so I found the best price and had it shipped.

I have installed and tested the oven once. It seems to be back its normal operation.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 5, 2021 4:01:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified