Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ShadeTree231  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2014 5:02:51 PM(UTC)
ShadeTree231

Groups: Registered

Ok, I have had this Maytag washer since fall 2011: # MVWC300XW0. It's only been used lightly at maybe 6-10 loads per month is all (bachelor). For some reason Best Buy at the time had it pretty cheap at $365, quite a bit discounted off its regular price of $500. Then I got a $100 rebate from the energy company since it's an HE machine. So, I have $285 or so into it is all with tax.
I had gotten used to its quirks, mainly it's had an inconsistent wash time that can finish in as "little" as 60 minutes or as long as 75-80 and even nearly 90 minutes on rarer occasions.
So after 2 years and 9 mos. of "trouble-free" operation (other than the occasional unbalanced load-it's been very sensitive about how the load is balanced), what's been happening now is that it won't finish the spin cycle and it just cuts power to the drive motor and at the same time the spin light & door lock lights begin flashing. After a few minutes the lock light stops flashing and just the spin light stays on solid. So I've had to cycle stop it and then switch the controller over to drain and spin for it to finish. But even now lately that doesn't seem to work well.
So I accessed the tech's service guide manual taped to the inside of the front cabinet. I verified that the green LED was lit up on the processor. I then went through the sequence to pull the processor's codes and found it has 3 codes: 1) main control fault, 2) a basket unknown speed fault, 3) as well as some kind of key code fault? I then went through all the "manual" checks that tests all the machine's functions as well as a tachometer test of the basket. Seemed to all function fine. I also pushed-in and wiggled all the electrical connections I could find on the machine. Once I get time I plan on doing the electrical checks relating to those codes since it's still apart. If nothing comes up with those checks, I wonder if replacing the main controller (not cheap) would be the fix since one of the trouble codes points to it...or maybe I should simply bail on this machine since it may become a repeat offender at breaking down? :(
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ShadeTree231  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:31:37 PM(UTC)
ShadeTree231

Thought I'd update this thread. Using my dvom, I went thru the electrical checks for the main control system. Right off the bat the voltage for the optical speed sensor circuit where its harness plugs into the main control were way off. This sensor is mounted on the shift actuator's housing and is an integral part of that assembly. The circuit instead of reading 13+ v. only had 2.15 v. I unplugged the harness off the main control and it then had 13.2 v. inside the control board's terminals. So, I'm guessing the solid state circuit is ok in the main control as it's supplying the 13.2v needed. So I checked that wiring harness some more and verified that it had no resistance or shorts to ground down to where it connects to the shift actuator. I then plugged it back into the main control and re-checked the voltage and it now read 12.23 v. Hmm....maybe it'll work fine now even though it's still reading a bit low?

So, I then went ahead and recalibrated the washer and then let the washer go thru it's automatic test cycle. It did ok and finished. I then did a manual low spin and high spin manual test as well as the wash actuate tests and they did fine. The shift actuator's motor was obviously working ok. So, for kicks, I went back to re-check the voltage at the main control where the harness comes from the optical speed sensor and it was now back down to 2.15 v. as it was when I first tested it. So, I again unpluggged that harness and the main control still supplied 13.2v. So, I'm guessing the optical speed sensor is faulty and sapping the main control's voltage supply to it and it'll need to be replaced. So, I ordered one off ******** for ~$37 shipped and it's on its way as I type this. BTW the local Maytag/Whirlpool dealer wanted ~$56 + tax for that actuator-but they did have it in stock which was nice to know if I needed it asap, but I can wait a week or so and save $20+ in the process. Hopefully all will be fixed afterwards....
ShadeTree231  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 8:51:59 AM(UTC)
ShadeTree231

Well another update, with only a 2 day wait on the part, I got the new optical speed sensor/shift actuator assembly installed today. I did some preliminary testing on its optical speed sensor to see if there were any changes in volt readings vs. the old one. Needless to say, I got an even lower reading of 1.81V (vs. the old one's 2.15V) with the new unit installed and plugged in to the main control. The manual calls for a 13V reading! So, I was beginning to wonder either I got a faulty new unit, there's something wrong with the main control's power supply circuit for that sensor, or the simply that the manual's test procedure calling for a 13V reading with the optical speed sensor plugged into the main control is incorrect. After checking that, I cleared all the trouble codes & then had the machine calibrate itself before then starting it.
Before starting it though, I wanted to observe the wash load in the machine as it was running. The only way I could do this was to remove the door lock latch off the door and plug it into the door lock unattached to the door. I held it in place with tape so it wouldn't move around in the lock either. This would allow me to lift the door at any time, or to prop it open to look at it continuously.
I ran two loads of wash thru it-with the first load a fairly medium size, and the second load a heavy, more typical, load. The machine did fine with both loads, finishing in at ~70 mins. for both. Everything went smoothly as far as I could tell. I then afterwards checked for trouble codes and there were none. So, perhaps other than replacing with a known good one, there is no real accurate way of testing a for failing (ie not completely dead) optical speed sensor?
Hope my experience helps someone out...
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply