Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fixit-teer  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:58:06 PM(UTC)
Fixit-teer

Groups: Registered

My Centennial is making a continuous ratcheting sound during the wash cycle and sometimes a short(1-3 seconds) loud, off balance knock during the spin cycle. The agitator does seem to be moving, but tangles itself with the clothes; no matter the size of the load. I have replaced the agitator dog ears with the complete kit to no avail. Are there any other options for repair other than the transmission? Could it be the bearing? :confused:

For future purposes, what is the most recommended washing machine on the market today? I prefer a top loading machine but any machine with reliability, superior cleaning ability, low operating sound and speed will suffice. I am willing to pay for a higher end model, but I know top price doesn't top value or performance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 4:34:05 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Does the lower agitator only go in one direction during agitation cycle? If so, then the transmission is bad. The only decent top loader today are the Speed Queen models. They run around $800-$900 but are well built and worth the price.

Eric
Fixit-teer  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 7:27:15 AM(UTC)
Fixit-teer

Groups: Registered

I am unable to see if the agitator is moving in both directions due to the safety feature which stops the agitating when the lid is lifted. The agitator does move both directions manually when the machine is empty!:D

Instead of replacing the entire transmission, could it be possible to replace internal plastic gears/parts inside the gear case?

What are the most common causes of the transmission failing (coupling, internal agitate cam, clutch, etc)?

What determines if any of these are the causes other than obvious inspection for wear or damage?

Thanks for the recommendation of the Speed Queen.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 3:03:57 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Temporarily bypass the lid switch so you can see the lower agitator. The washer will agitate without water if you set dial to last 2 minutes of agitation cycle (just before drain) in the heavy duty cycle only. There may be a mark on the dial for this.

Lid switch bypass: Lid switch bypassing Whirlpool direct drive washer - YouTube

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply