Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<2021222324>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dh1200s  
#211 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:31:24 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: copiercop Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dick,

I am looking to replace all the bearings and the clutch pulley. I finally removed the tub last night. I have tried everything to remove the spinner nut with no luck. I've got the nut pinned with a socket but I can't seem to get the spinner to break free. I am turning the spinner CW as the nut is locked in place. I've soaked it in PB Blaster but am getting nowhere. Any thoughts?

Johnny

You are removing just as Pic #25 in the SM shows. I used the locking ring on the nut and the spanner wrench they show in Pic #25. Others have used the method you are using with success.......scratching my head.

Edit to my response. I believe I removed the Spinner Nut with my 1/2" air impact reassembled with the Maytag tools, locking ring and spanner. I found my 1.75" Tractor Supply socket in the tool bag with my Maytag locking ring and spanner.

Edit again see the post dated 02-04-2011, 01:38 AM this forum member removed the same way.....1.75" Socket and air impact.

Memory has faded need to rebuild my Series 18 machine this winter. Virtual repair is no match for hands on...........Dick
1982jj  
#212 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 12:44:52 PM(UTC)
1982jj

Hey Dick,
I forgot to mention since I have an 18 series washer and did not need that same reverse bearing that goes on the clutch like in a 10-11 series, I have that extra piece unused in case someone needs one.

JJ
dh1200s  
#213 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 1:00:02 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

Thanks JJ I'l note on my server so I don't lose track of that.

I should have one also when I rebuild my series 18 later this winter. It's hard to hear the TV when that thing spins up.

I have my spare series 10 that I did the rebuild on few years ago....just need my son and son in law to help me move it up to the laundry room.

That will be my first hands on a rebuilding FAV6800 with that special Lower Outer Tub bearing with the One-Way bearing.

I have to look back and see what you used. Hope the machine is running well for you..........thanks again for the heads up........Dick
copiercop  
#214 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 3:59:24 AM(UTC)
copiercop

Originally Posted by: dh1200s Go to Quoted Post
You are removing just as Pic #25 in the SM shows. I used the locking ring on the nut and the spanner wrench they show in Pic #25. Others have used the method you are using with success.......scratching my head.

Edit to my response. I believe I removed the Spinner Nut with my 1/2" air impact reassembled with the Maytag tools, locking ring and spanner. I found my 1.75" Tractor Supply socket in the tool bag with my Maytag locking ring and spanner.

Edit again see the post dated 02-04-2011, 01:38 AM this forum member removed the same way.....1.75" Socket and air impact.

Memory has faded need to rebuild my Series 18 machine this winter. Virtual repair is no match for hands on...........Dick

Hi Dick,

Edit....Still can't budge the spinner NUT. I may be doing something wrong. I referenced the 2nd pic in permalink #106....the only difference is that I had already removed the transmission so the spinner shaft is not in the way. Is this correct?

Johnny
dh1200s  
#215 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 5:08:26 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Johnny,

You would think that should work I had purchased the locking ring and spanner wrench and what I seem to remember is I could not get enough torque to break loose the Spinner Support.

You are trying to spin the Spinner Support in the nut to break loose as per the SM.
I used my 1/2" air impact and 1.75" socket.

Any chance to borrow an air or electric impact? Maybe take the Outer Tub to a local garage and have them break loose the Spinner Nut.

Dick
copiercop  
#216 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 5:19:04 AM(UTC)
copiercop

Originally Posted by: dh1200s Go to Quoted Post
Johnny,

You would think that should work I had purchased the locking ring and spanner wrench and what I seem to remember is I could not get enough torque to break loose the Spinner Support.

You are trying to spin the Spinner Support in the nut to break loose as per the SM.
I used my 1/2" air impact and 1.75" socket.

Any chance to borrow an air or electric impact? Maybe take the Outer Tub to a local garage and have them break loose the Spinner Nut.

Dick

Hi Dick,
I will purchase the locking ring and spanner wrench and try to go that route first and see where that gets me. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all your help,
Johnny
copiercop  
#217 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 3:30:54 PM(UTC)
copiercop

Hi Dick,

Finally!...I've removed the spinner nut referencing permalink #106. I removed the sleeve from the old tub seal. Do I simply tear off the old tub seal? It seems to be on pretty good....brittle of course. I notice a wire type elastic around the top of the tub seal about two inces in diameter. Is that supposed to be there? I have not seen that mentioned on this thread.

The bearings seem to be ok....going to replace anyway. Does the shaft that has the two weep holes at the bottom come out?

Also, how does the shaft from the spinner tranny, 2nd pic in permalink #4 come out?

Thanks again,
Johnny
dh1200s  
#218 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 6:02:25 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

&#8220;&#8221;I removed the sleeve from the old tub seal. Do I simply tear off the old tub seal?&#8221;&#8221;

Yes

&#8220;&#8221;It seems to be on pretty good....brittle of course. I notice a wire type elastic around the top of the tub seal about two inces in diameter. Is that supposed to be there?&#8221;&#8221;

Not sure what you found without a pic of it. As you lift the Spinner Support out of the Outer Tub the Tub Seal will probably remain in the tub just pull it out.

&#8220;&#8221;The bearings seem to be ok....going to replace anyway. Does the shaft that has the two weep holes at the bottom come out?&#8221;&#8221;

The Spinner Support should lift out or fall to the floor if you have the Outer Tub upside down. Just follow the Spinner Support disassembly steps. You do have the inner tub removed correct? If you have the Outer Tub turned upside down have something soft to cushion the Spinner Support as it falls to the floor as you remove the Spinner Nut.

&#8220;&#8221;Also, how does the shaft from the spinner tranny, 2nd pic in permalink #4 come out?&#8221;&#8221;

That is the agitator shaft just slips out from the top of the Spinner Support, it rides in a ball bearing 6002-2RS top of the Spinner Support and a SCE-910 caged needle bearing on the Clutch Pulley drive end of that shaft. The male spline on that shaft mate with the female spline of the Tranny.

Dick
copiercop  
#219 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 4:00:02 AM(UTC)
copiercop

Hi Dick,

I've attached a pic of the wire elastic ring I had mentioned, 3rd pic. The last pic shows where it was located.

How do I remove the shaft in pic 2? Seems loose, don't want to yank on anything.

For that matter, how do I access the bottom bearing, 6002rs, in pic 1? It looks pretty rusted. Do I tap on the bearing side?

The 6207 bearings look and feel pretty good....still going to replace them. Is there a gentle way to tap them out?

Thanks again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge in describing these parts.

Johnny
copiercop attached the following image(s):
IMAG0625.jpg
IMAG0626.jpg
IMAG0628.jpg
IMAG0629.jpg
dh1200s  
#220 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 5:00:55 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Originally Posted by: copiercop Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dick,

I've attached a pic of the wire elastic ring I had mentioned, 3rd pic. The last pic shows where it was located.

[COLOR="Black"]That is the Transmission O-Ring you need to order that with the Tub Seal [/COLOR]

Quote:
How do I remove the shaft in pic 2? Seems loose, don't want to yank on anything.

Just pull it out of the Tranny I hope that's as easy as it sounds. No other owners in this thread have reported issues to remove. That's the shaft that drives tranny/splined end.

Quote:
For that matter, how do I access the bottom bearing, 6002rs, in pic 1? It looks pretty rusted. Do I tap on the bearing side?

I used a pice of drill rod to slip thru the bottom caged needle bearing to punch out 6002-2RS bearing out. Then my long 1/2" socket extension thru the top of the Spinner Support to punch out the caged needle bearing...... SCE-910 replacement.

Do you have any experience installing bearings. If not seek out someone to help......it's hard for me to describe.......if you go back to the front of the post I describe how I did it.

Quote:
The 6207 bearings look and feel pretty good....still going to replace them. Is there a gentle way to tap them out?

Just took what I had and punched them out. Upper Outer Tub beariing first. The lower bearing is a bit more challenging you are working inside the tub be careful with hammer blows so you don't damage the tub especially the molded in motor mounts. If you break/crack the motor mount .........game over.

Have some help when you remove the Outer Tub bearings to steady the tub. I did it by myself and it was a PITA trying to protect the tub from damage.

Review the front part of the thread the first two guys that did a complete rebuild/bearing replacement had some good comments and pics on the process.

Dick
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply