Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<2223242526>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mhewitt56  
#231 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 5:43:47 PM(UTC)
mhewitt56

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: dh1200s Go to Quoted Post
Micah,

Do you have the Service Manual "SM" for the machine if not Google "FAV6800A/FAV9800A Service Manual" or "16022808 Revision 0 December 2003".........the first hit on either search string will take you to the SM.

Have you read the first several pages of this thread? That will get you started on tear down to remove the Outer Tub.

I feel your series 17 machine will use the second generation Outer Tub design.

That design shifted the Upper One-Way bearing ring that sits above the Clutch Pulley on older series to a new/different Lower Outer Tub bearing which includes a ball bearing assembly combined with a One-Way bearing. I have not rebuilt a second gen Outer Tub that uses the lower combo Outer Tub bearing. Forum member Ferris came up with a replacement bearing for second gen Outer Tub machines. Google CSK207 bearing.

You will find forum members who rebuilt those Outer Tub machines with the CSK207 bearing had success.

As far as parts needed all info is in the thread first several pages minus the CSK207 bearing. The first two owners rebuilt older series machines like my series 10 machine. Going to tear down my original series 16 machine and a series 17 that is in service now ($0.99 bid win) like yours this winter. Those machine will need the CSK207 Lower Outer Tub bearing.

If you decide to take on the project I will try to help and I'm sure other owners will chime in..........Dick

Yes I have the SM, also was does CCW and CW mean, I have read a lot of the first couple pages of the post. This is what I have for parts right now
1 tub Seal 25001090
1 Tub O ring 25001105
2 Outter tub bearing 6207-2rs ( Do I only need one since I need the CSK207?)
1 upper spinner support 6002-2rs
1 Lower shell shaft bearing SCE-910
1 Clutch Pulley 25001169

I didn't pay anything for my washer, my mom didn't want to fix it and just got a new set. So whatever I have into the washer is a great deal for a matching set
dh1200s  
#232 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 2:50:54 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Quote:
Yes I have the SM, also was does CCW and CW mean, I have read a lot of the first couple pages of the post. This is what I have for parts right now
1 tub Seal 25001090
1 Tub O ring 25001105
2 Outter tub bearing 6207-2rs ( Do I only need one since I need the CSK207?)
1 upper spinner support 6002-2rs
1 Lower shell shaft bearing SCE-910
1 Clutch Pulley 25001169

I didn't pay anything for my washer, my mom didn't want to fix it and just got a new set. So whatever I have into the washer is a great deal for a matching set

CCW = Counter Clock Wise direction of rotation
CW = Clock Wise direction of rotation

Quote:
Do I only need one since I need the CSK207?

Correct When you tear down your outer tub you will see the factory installed bearing that the CSK207 will replace.

As I mentioned my series 10 machine used 6207-2RS type bearings. That machine used the Upper One-Way bearing ring.

When you install the CSK207 you need to make sure it is installed to allow the Spinner Support to rotate CCW for Spin Cycle operation. Maybe one of the forum members that used that bearing can chime in for support.

The CSK207 bearing has to support two functions. It allows the Spinner Support shaft to Spin CCW during Spin Cycle with Clutch Pulley CCW rotation and lock up to prevent CW rotation of the Wash Basket during wash/agitate cycle Clutch Pulley CW rotation.

I looked at the specs on the CSK207 it is the same bearing thickness 17MM as the 6207-2RS so no shims are needed to torque down the Spinner Nut.

Torque down the Spinner Nut to the SM spec I did a WAG no torque wrench on hand.

Take pics if you can of your work.

I'm slow to respond at times and I encourage all previous owners who have completed the Outer Tub rebuild to jump in for support/comments.

Have you installed bearings in any past projects? If so that is a +. Take your time especially when removing the clamping ring/spinner bolts I sheared off one during my rebuild. A heavy soaking with PB Blaster/Liquid Wrench did not help me. An 1/2" impact driver can come in handy......for me a must have to remove the Spinner Bolts and the Spinner Nut.......Dick
dh1200s  
#233 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 8:55:38 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Quote:
I looked at the specs on the CSK207 it is the same bearing thickness 17MM as the 6207-2RS so no shims are needed to torque down the Spinner Nut.

Error on my part I believe there are shims needed when using the CSK207 bearing. If I can find the posts of of owners that used this bearing with shim used I will point out. Need to get ready for work.........Dick
dh1200s  
#234 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 9:03:59 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Just found forum member berrytc post on final comments his Outer Tub rebuild. Forum member Ferris comes to mind he to had success using the CSK207 bearing. The bearing is not cheap look for best price.

Quote:
Dick

Upon receiving the correct "one-way" lower bearing (CSK 207) I ordered, I reassembled the machine and it has just completed its first wash/spin cycle without incident. More importantly, it no longer sounds like a freight train is coming though my house. I did have to use four shims (got them at my local bearing supply) in the spindle shaft/drum bearing assembly to get the bearings in the correct position (the replacement bearing was not as thick as the original), but it seems to work fine. After having done this repair, I believe I could easily do it again in an hour or two, and with far less disassembly than I did (unless one just wanted to clean up the machine a little more). It appears that simply removing the drum assembly from the cabinet, removing the motor and clutch assembly, and removing the spindle nut will allow you to take the inner drum out in one piece and replace both of the outer drum bearings without taking anything else apart. I wish I had taken more photos, but I was trying to get the machine back together before my wife got home! Thanks again for your assistance and for helping me save over $1,000 to repair this "irrepairable" machine!

Read more: http://forum.appliancepartspros...nt-20.html#ixzz2h9Op4chC
http://forum.appliancepartspros.com
Fenris  
#235 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:03:10 AM(UTC)
Fenris

Just found forum member berrytc post on final comments his Outer Tub rebuild. Forum member Ferris comes to mind he to had success using the CSK207 bearing. The bearing is not cheap look for best price.

Boca Bearing is the only place I found with that bearing. It's not cheap, but it's much cheaper than a new washer. The CSK207 is the same thickness as a 6207 bearing, but the original one-way upper bearing on the later model washers was thicker than the 6207 by a few millimeters. To make up the difference, I used one or two M36 washers which have a 36mm inner hole and about a 1mm thickness. The amount that it is tightened is somewhat important: it needs to be tight enough to hold together, but not so tight that you mis-align the bearings and cause them to bind up. The spacers are important because there is only so much of the spindle that is threaded and you need to make up the extra height of the old bearing.

Expect to have to re-build in a few years anyway. The seals are only good for so long, and eventually will start to fail. Then soapy, dirty water will leak down the shaft into and through the bearings. The clutch bearing will see the worst of it since water will collect there, but the soap will eat at the grease on the way down (which is why I try to pack bearings and seals with white waterproof grease wherever possible). Preventative maintenance of re-packing the clutch bearing with white grease every year might help, but honestly, who remembers or takes the time?
dh1200s  
#236 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 7:47:24 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Fenris,

Thank you sir for the feed back. I agree with the PM on the machine and the extra steps to save the Clutch One-Way bearing.......solid advice.

I did get a p/n for Clutch Pulley One-Way bearing from another forum member in this thread......I bought the bearing back sometime ago. May try to press that a Clutch Pulley down the road. It was reasonable cost as I remember.

My comments about the care of orientation of the CSK207 install to allow CCW spin action of the wash basket.........any thoughts to add from your install/rebuild?

Thank you again for your feedback.........sorry for misspelling your user name I should have looked back further in the thread.........Dick
Fenris  
#237 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:54:04 AM(UTC)
Fenris

Fenris,

My comments about the care of orientation of the CSK207 install to allow CCW spin action of the wash basket.........any thoughts to add from your install/rebuild?

Thank you again for your feedback.........sorry for misspelling your user name I should have looked back further in the thread.........Dick

Just pay attention to which way it spins before you take the shaft assembly apart. You could try using a Sharpie marker on the ouside of the tub to indicate which direction rotation should occur so you don't get it backward. I think I put mine in backward the first time and had to remove the bearing and flip it. In theory, you could use the 6002 in the upper position and the CSK207 in the lower position if that makes installation easier. In the long run, this might be a much better idea as well. The upper bearing is probably more prone to failure as it is closer to the leaking water, so the less expensive and less critical 6002 might be better here.

Also, I borrowed bearing pullers from my local auto parts store - they usually let you borrow them for free if you leave your credit card number as collateral.

A 2' long, 1/2" ratchet extension was very useful for pounding out old bearings.

Instead of the "proper" Maytag tool to keep the shaft from rotating, I just found one of my sockets that was about the right size and used it as a wedge to prevent rotation.

Give yourself plenty of space to work and use a tarp because a washer and it's parts take up alot of space once broken apart and can drip water and gunk everywhere. Keep you parts and tools organized (I like to use smaller plastic "Ziplock" brand food tubs or shoebox sized plastic bins), print out the service manual for reference, and take your time. It will take a while to figure out the tricks of how it's put together and goes back together, but afterward you'll be an expert and could re-do it in 1/4 the time.
dh1200s  
#238 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:16:38 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Fenris excellent feedback thank you!

OK mhewitt56 you should be good to go on installing the CSK207 lower Outer Tub bearing and some very sound best practice notes on tear down and reassembly.

Hope you have a good experience......Dick
actonguy  
#239 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 9:11:23 AM(UTC)
actonguy

hello,
i have been reading this thread with great interest since finding it. i to am suffering the same trouble as everyone else w/ my series 13 maytag. first i would like to extend a grateful 'thank you' to all who have taken the time to post all the great info. i have completed the tear-down & clean-up of the parts. all went pretty smoothly. have ordered a complete set of bearings. only had to go to 2 sources; amazon, & boca bearings. ordered the m36 washers from mcmaster-carr industrial supply. the parts person i chatted with on this web site must not look @ the forum much, since did not have clue that bearings could be replaced. kept trying to sell me the whole outer tub.

only question i'm throwing out is whether the main 2-part seal, & large o-ring are universal to all serial nos.? those are the last pieces i need to order, and just wanted to double check.

clutch assy. was damaged, but fixable. de-greased & acid washed rusty bearings, then re-lubed. inside spring pin had fallen out, but no damage to spring. the alum. reinforce ring in the outer tub was pretty corroded, but acid scrubbed it & it cleaned up nicely. have very hard water here in so. cal., so bad deposits. am going to have that ring powder coated to prevent future corrosion. was hard to get out. will be using synthetic marine grease to re-lube things. looking forward to getting thing back together soon. thanks again to all.

lynn
dh1200s  
#240 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 2:35:31 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

Quote:
only question i'm throwing out is whether the main 2-part seal, & large o-ring are universal to all serial nos.? those are the last pieces i need to order, and just wanted to double check.
The Tub Seal/sleeve and Tranny O-ring are for FAV6800A and FAV9800A all series.

Quote:
the parts person i chatted with on this web site must not look @ the forum much, since did not have clue that bearings could be replaced. kept trying to sell me the whole outer tub.
Parts folks would not be tuned into this DIY fix. You won't find any repair folks that go this route just to much labor cost. For the owners that can handle some down time and has a desire to give it a try it you can add to the service life of the machine but it's not a path for everyone.

Clutch Pulley has gone up considerable. My first was $56 delivered to the house.

One forum member I believe in this thread actually picked up a One-Way bearing for the Clutch Pulley and pressed it in. I picked up that bearing and will give it a try at some point.

Good luck with your rebuild and if I can't help you with a question someone will chime in for sure.......Dick
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply