Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mdauer2002  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2013 1:28:01 PM(UTC)
mdauer2002

Groups: Registered

Put dishwasher in January, 2013 in kitchen island. Drain hose goes under floor to sink air lock and garbage disposer (and yes I knocked the hole out of the disposer). Total length of hose pipe is 12 feet which this model said it could pump. Has worked great until this last weekend. Now it is not draining all the way. Checked the screen and basket - was kind of clogged with snotty gunk. Thought that was the issue so cleaned that, put it back in and hit "drain" button. Motor runs, kind of clicks (maybe always sounded like that, never really listened that closely) and small amount of water comes through air lock on sink (again never looked before, but seems to be less than I would have expected). Got underneath and disconnected drain tube from pump. Water freely exits pump once disconnected and I am able to blow air through waste pipe to sink (although seemed harder than expected). Ran a half gallon of vinegar through drain. After a run there is still 3 inches of water at bottom of tub. I can hit drain button and small qty does pump out through air lock, but takes two or three times of hitting the button for tub to drain out completely. Does it seem more likely that it is a hose issue or a pump issue? Could the pump have burned out because the strainer basket was so clogged? Previous posts talk about a check valve, I couldn't find on in the drawing for this model. Any other way to check whether the pump is working without disconnecting it completely?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:04:07 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
This is a difficult one.
I personally would not run a drain line 12 feet and have never done this so all I can do is give a few suggestions.

"snotty gunk" dose not bode well as it sounds like something is growing in your unit and if it is there it will also be in the drain tube.
If you are using liquid or the pucks I would switch to powdered detergent.

If the drain line you are using is the type that has the ridges I would replace at least the portion under the floor with non ridged hose or pipe. The ridges will slow down water flow and also grab stuff.

Does your place have a basement?
If it does then I would try to tap into a drain line in the basement.
You just have to be sure that there is a trap between the sewer line and the dishwasher drain. you could form the trap out of the flex drain line. Also that the drain can handle the flow.
For instance if you are above your utility room you could drain into the stand pipe of the washing machine. After it's trap add a T and the two stand pipes one for the washer and another for the dishwasher.

You will probably have to pull the drain pump just to be sure that it also does not have gunk in it.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
mdauer2002  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:01:46 PM(UTC)
mdauer2002

So I checked all the lines, from the pump to the air lock - no clogs, no buildup, drained them and able to blow through perfectly easily.

I will consider moving it to drain down to basement (washer/dryer right there and probably won't even need new hoses, just could go right into the washer p-trap). Maybe that will pervent this from happening again in future.

Still doesn't seem to address the slow drain though. Could it be the sensor? It reliably shuts off with the basin full of water. I can push drain, and it drains for a good minute or so, but the water is still up to the top of the basket. A second push of "drain" gets it all the way down. It seems so weird that the pump would work, but only at about 50% capacity.

Maybe I just need to get the pump out of there and clean the impeller? How do I get the drain pump off to see in there? Can I do it without taking the d/w out of the cabinet?
mdauer2002  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:03:51 PM(UTC)
mdauer2002

So I checked all the lines, from the pump to the air lock - no clogs, no buildup, drained them and able to blow through perfectly easily.

I will consider moving it to drain down to basement (washer/dryer right there and probably won't even need new hoses, just could go right into the washer p-trap). Maybe that will pervent this from happening again in future.

Still doesn't seem to address the slow drain though. Could it be the sensor? It reliably shuts off with the basin full of water. I can push drain, and it drains for a good minute or so, but the water is still up to the top of the basket. A second push of "drain" gets it all the way down. It seems so weird that the pump would work, but only at about 50% capacity.

Maybe I just need to get the pump out of there and clean the impeller? How do I get the drain pump off to see in there? Can I do it without taking the d/w out of the cabinet?
denman  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 1:17:20 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Below is the pump
Part number: AP4320199
Part number: AP4320199

Click on the picture for more views /info.
Looks like it has a clip and then twists off.
I am not sure if you will be able to reach it with the unit in place.
Often it depends on how good you are working blind as you probably will not be able to see much once you get your arm in there. Also how tolerant you are to scrapes and scratches at least I usually end up with a couple.
Below is a video that should help.
Drain Pump Replacement (part #661658) - Whirlpool Dishwasher Repair - YouTube

If you decide to re-route your drain I would loop it up some before going through the floor.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply