Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cricket2  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 11:26:37 AM(UTC)
Cricket2

Groups: Registered

My washing machine will not drain. When it first happened, I found it mostly drained but stopped at spin/rinse cycle. I restarted it at the beginning and now it won't drain at all. Instead of starting to drain, it just makes a 3 very soft clicking noises and then stops. It does this on all cycles (pre-wash, perm-press, ultra clean, 2nd rinse, etc.) The timer does advance.

I've done some troubleshooting. It is not the lid switch. When a similar issue happened a few years ago I bypassed the lid switch. (There are no young children at home, so I don't need that safety feature). I've taken off the pump but nothing is stuck inside it.

It used to make more noise at the end of the cycle before it started draining. Sort of like a pop. Now it just makes 3 very soft clicks. Could it be the clutch or transmission? If so, how do I troubleshoot that? Thanks so much.
Cindy
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 12:09:40 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
So, I assume it won't spin either? Does it agitate ok? Did you check the integrity of your lid switch bypass?

Eric
Cricket2  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 2:11:14 PM(UTC)
Cricket2

[FONT=&quot]Hi Eric,
Thanks for replying so quickly. No, it won't spin either. It agitates perfectly. I did look at the lid switch bypass. I taped it up with electrical tape when I did it and it is still taped up the way it was. It don't think it is that. I've watched a couple of repair videos and am wondering if it might be the transmission clutch or the coupler. I'd appreciate any advice about how to troubleshoot from here.
Cindy
[/FONT]
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 2:27:14 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

I would check that bypass connection. The lid switch circuit only affects drain and spin. The clutch, motor coupler and transmission have nothing to do with the drain function.

Eric
Cricket2  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 5:09:53 PM(UTC)
Cricket2

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
I would check that bypass connection. The lid switch circuit only affects drain and spin. The clutch, motor coupler and transmission have nothing to do with the drain function.

Eric

Eric,
You are right! It looked fine on the outside but was corroded on the inside on one side (the side with the grey wire. I can't get the connector clean enough to reconnect. I'm not sure what to do now. My mechanical capabilities are limited to moxie and what I learn on forums and by watching videos. I think I need to connect the two outside wires. Maybe pull both the outside wires out and connect with a wire nut? If so what do I do about the middle wire? Not sure about this. Any ideas? Thanks so much
Cindy
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 7:33:27 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

I would suggest replacing the lid switch. The middle wire is the ground connection for the cabinet. Without the lid switch connector plugged in, you won't have a good cabinet ground which means you have two safety violations. 1) no lid switch, 2) no cabinet ground.

Eric
Cricket2  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2015 5:51:07 AM(UTC)
Cricket2

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
I would suggest replacing the lid switch. The middle wire is the ground connection for the cabinet. Without the lid switch connector plugged in, you won't have a good cabinet ground which means you have two safety violations. 1) no lid switch, 2) no cabinet ground.

Eric

Eric,
Thanks for the info about buying a new lid switch. However, because of my past lid switch bypass, one wire of the connector (that I used to make the jumper) is now corroded. How do I clean it so I can use it when I buy a new lid switch? Thanks so much.
fairbank56  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2015 6:51:50 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

How about a photo of what you have done to the wiring/connector?

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply