Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jenlyn  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 4:00:51 PM(UTC)
jenlyn

Groups: Registered

Fridge stops working.When I unplug it for 3 hours, then plug it back in ,it works for about 3 days. I was just wondering if it could be the starting relay or or maybe the temperature overload is opened.I
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 1:51:46 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Need more info on what exactly is happening>
Is the compressor on/off/cycling normaly/cycling quickly?
Is the condenser/compressor fan on. Note that if it is on the compressor should also be on as they are wired in parallel. So if it is on and the compressor is off it will be a compressor or a compressor start device problem.
Is the evaporator fan on?

Have you tried unplugging it for less than the 3 hours?
Have you tried just moving the cold control up/down a bit?

If everything is off then it is probably a cold control or a adaptive defrost board problem.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
jenlyn  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:01:44 AM(UTC)
jenlyn

No, lately it has not been cycling rapidly.When I pulled It out the compressor was not runnind but the fan beside it was and the the fan at the top was also. Yes, I did turn the temp. down a little on the dial before I plugged it back in back in.Now it will run for a few days like it did before.What do you suggest suggest hon?
jenlyn  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:57:34 AM(UTC)
jenlyn

Denman,I appreciate you helping me. I don't have much $ and I don't have any help .I pretty handy ,I've had to be.! I don't think its the compressor. Its running .All fans are working.How expensive would it be to replace the starter relay.I heard you could use a universal one for cheaper.Someone also said it might be the temp.overload staying open.What can you do about that? All I know is that the compressor is getting hot .
denman  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 3:46:04 AM(UTC)
denman

Now I am confused

You said "When I pulled It out the compressor was not running but the fan beside it was"

But in the next post said " I don't think its the compressor. Its running"

Not sure which is correct or was the second post after the compressor had cooled down.

Does it seem that the condenser/compressor fan is running full speed and are it's fan blades clean?
Are the vents in the kick plate and the rear cover clean?
Are the condenser coils clean?

When you say the compressor is running can you feel it vibrating?
Also how hot is hot? For the temperature overload to kick out then the compressor has to be so hot that you can hardly keep your finger on it.

There is no good way to check the starter so you have to swap it out to check it. This also applies to the capacitor.

Below is the start device, click on the picture for more info on it.
Part number: AP5306469
Part number: AP5306469

Below is a link on how to check things if you have a meter.
How To Fix a Refrigerator - Appliance Repair Guide - ACME HOW TO.com

Note that both the capacitor and the compressor tests are not definitive.
In other words the test will tell you if the part is bad but does not tell you that it is good.
The capacitor may only fail when supply voltage is applied to it.
The compressor may have winding to winding shorts or may have internal mechanical problems.
jenlyn  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 5:25:23 AM(UTC)
jenlyn

When I unplugged it, nothing was running. The top of the compressor was warm, but you could place your hand on top of it. I left it unplugged for three hours, then plugged it back in, the compressor and fans started working. Everything that you mentioned, is clean. Yes, when it is working, the compressor is working, it does vibrate. I'm sorry that I confused you... Once again, thank you for all your help.
jenlyn  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 5:27:30 AM(UTC)
jenlyn

Also wanted to mention that after I plugged it back in this time, it running pretty cold, which is good, just afraid that it will quit, as it did before.
denman  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:45:41 AM(UTC)
denman

OK lets back up.
If the when them problem occurs the compressor fan is off then it is not a compressor or it's start device problem.

The compressor is wired in parallel with the condenser/compressor fan so when the fan is on the compressor should be on (vibrating). If not then we have a compressor or starter problem.

If the condenser fan is off then it is not getting power and so the compressor will also not be on.

The most common things that hold the power off to the compressor is the temperature control thermostat and the adaptive defrost board.

Control thermostat. The next time it happens turn the control up and down (not to off). If the compressor and fans fire up then that is the part I would replace as odds are it is sticking open.

If the above does nothing then unplug the unit for just a couple minutes. If when you plug it back in the fans and compressor start then I would replace the adaptive defrost board as odds are that it is getting stuck in a defrost cycle and unplugging it reset the adaptive defrost board.

Note that I am assuming the problem is that the compressor never comes on when the problem occurs. It is normal for a fridge to shut off for half an hour or so every 8 hours or so as this is the automatic defrost cycle.
jenlyn  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2014 5:56:52 AM(UTC)
jenlyn

Denman, you are so kind to give me all the information that you did. Now it is doing ok.If and when it stops again I will try everything you told me to do. Thanks again
jenlyn  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:18:13 AM(UTC)
jenlyn

I just looked up some parts, I found a temperature control at Sears, is that the same thing that you previously mentioned as the control thermostat? I also found a defrost control thermostat, would either of these be the part that you mentioned? I couldn't find the part that you named. Thanks again..
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply