Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<2223242526>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
loppster  
#231 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:11:59 AM(UTC)
loppster

Groups: Registered

I started hearing the clicking noise on my GE fridge yesterday. The model number is tfx25jpcgww and serial number az248605. The freezer and fridge are getting cold, just not cold enough. I took the back panel off and cleaned the dust off of everything, but the click continues. Can you advise on what I might need to look at?

Thanks,

Jeff
Gene  
#232 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 12:16:05 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Jeff,

Your refrigerator is an old classic style without any computers which is good. I believe replacement of the compressor start relay and the overload should fix that clicking, especially because it's still cooling.

- The start relay Part number: AP4367793
paulroyce  
#233 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2011 3:35:45 PM(UTC)
paulroyce

I also replaced the 2 470uf caps. This took care of the clicking noises and the compressor and condenser fan started right up. This also cured the problem that I was having with the ice cube/crushed dispenser.

Thanks to this site and all of the posters to this thread! :)
syz  
#234 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:06:28 PM(UTC)
syz

Hi there,

Looks like a great forum so far

I have the same or similar issue with my refrigerator
Model: PDS22MBSABB
Im going to say its about 5-6 years old. Provided by the home builder.

A few weeks ago the fridge started to click when it wanted to turn on. It seems that with time, the longer the problem exists the longer it take for the clicking to stop and the fridge to finally catch on.

I have called GE and they right away said that it is the main board. It was funny to hear that right away but I can understand if this is a very known issue to them.

However, I have called a few service/repair guys to see if they can give away the answer over the phone. Some have said that its possible that it is the board, or thermostat, or ever the compressor.

Today I took the back panel off and I can feel one of the relays making the clicking noise, I can 99% point out the one making the noise. the relay that is making the noise is the Omron G8P-1C4P-DC12 or (G8P-1C4P-12VDC). The on that is not a perfect rectangle. Odd shape.

My question is. Can I simply buy a replacement relay and solder it onto the board or do I have to buy a new board.
OR can it be something else (compresor or thermostat)
IF is it something else, how can I further troubleshoot the issue. What can I disconnect or bypass to rule parts out that the culprit.

The reason why I don't want to call someone in to look at it is cause I am a service tech myself for a dental company but deal more with IT. I believe I can fix the problem if I can figure out which part(s) need replacement. This is why I am referring to the internet for advice.

Hopefully Gene can see this post and chime in.
Gene  
#235 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:43:31 PM(UTC)
Gene

syz,

Check for 120 VAC at the connector J7-9 to the terminal J8 on the main control board.

If the reading is correct, replace the compressor start relay and overload.

If the reading is incorrect, replace the main control board.

- The start relay Part number: AP3796509
syz  
#236 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:59:08 PM(UTC)
syz

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
syz,

Check for 120 VAC at the connector J7-9 to the terminal J8 on the main control board.

If the reading is correct, replace the compressor start relay and overload.

If the reading is incorrect, replace the main control board.

- The start relay Part number: '); return false; " style="text-decoration:underline;" href ="http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch.aspx?pn_=
Part number: '); return false;

- The overload Part number: '); return false; " style="text-decoration:underline;" href ="http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch.aspx?pn_=" target="_blank">Part number: " target="_blank">Part number: " target="_blank">Part number:
Part number: " target="_blank"> Part number: " border="0" alt="Part number: " target="_blank">Part number: " title="Part number: " target="_blank">Part number: ">
Part number: ">

- The overload Part number: " target="_blank"> Part number:

- The overload Part number: " border="0" alt="Part number:

Thank you for your response Genere.
So I have tried what you suggested. And I have 2 different scenarios.

If I have connector that plugs into the J7 unplugged and I test the J7-9 and J8 Terminal I get a reading of 115VAC and NO clicking noise.

If I have the connector plugged into the J7 ( I take it this is the connection from the compressor?) and I test the link from J7-9 and J8 I get a various readings on the Multimeter as low as 0.8 VAC to about 4.X VAC and no higher than 13.x VAC and at this point I do hear a clicking sound.

What do you suggest I replace.

I have been putting this off for far too long. Not only is the sound annoying but I need to have a working fridge as I have family to feed from it. I cannot rely on the "Oh, its working today" option anymore. My next idea is to use the Canadian weather to my advantage and store things outside if this thing really just craps out.

Thank you again in advance.
Gene  
#237 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 2:16:29 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: syz Go to Quoted Post
...If I have the connector plugged into the J7 ( I take it this is the connection from the compressor?) and I test the link from J7-9 and J8 I get a various readings on the Multimeter as low as 0.8 VAC to about 4.X VAC and no higher than 13.x VAC and at this point I do hear a clicking sound...

J8 provides hot line to the compressor. J7-9 is neutral. The J7 connector should be plugged in while the wire from the J8 has to be removed.

Gene.
syz  
#238 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 4:09:13 AM(UTC)
syz

Thanks again. I tested the line as indicated above and it turns out that I have a faulty main board.

replaced the board and fridge is working like new.

p.s. I mean to say Gene and not Genere in my previous posts
Gene  
#239 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2011 6:51:15 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome. I'm glad you were able to fix it.

Thank you for the feedback.

Gene.
photovan  
#240 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:25:56 AM(UTC)
photovan

I've got the click! Is the current board part# wr55x10942 AP4436215?

Model GBS22KBSABB
serial RH054332

Thank You!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply