Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<2425262728>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gene  
#251 Posted : Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:17:33 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lawsracing Go to Quoted Post
my ge frig was making clicking noises, and then the water, ice, and light in my door quit working. When you push one of those buttons, you will hear a clicking noise in the back of the frig in the control panel. Do I need a new main control panel? If so which one?

Model# gss25sgrfss

Serial# dh229163

Very likely the problem is a bad main control board on the back of the refrigerator.

- The main control board Part number: AP4436216
olimazi  
#252 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2011 1:28:27 PM(UTC)
olimazi

Groups: Registered

Hey all,:D
I too had the infamous clicking noise from the back of my GE profile refrigerator (bottom freezer model).
Model # PDS22SFSBLSS
I called GE Consumer Relations and they said I was on the "Motherboard Program" - my unit was installed in 2006.
They offered to have the control board installed for $100 field visit.
I had them overnight the board to me instead.
I installed it today w/out issue - one thing in the instructions asks to cut 2 green wires, but I had to skip those steps as I didn't have those wires - even easier.
So far so good, no clicking (fingers crossed).
The Control Board model # was WR55X10942.
Thanks to this forum I was able to save time and money - cheers.
Oh and I will change the capacitors on the old board to keep it as a backup - the 2 big capacitors in the old board were indeed bulging.
John
kip42  
#253 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:37:15 PM(UTC)
kip42

Our fridge has started to make the clicking noise as well. I called GE (800-386-1215) and they said they never heard of the problem and we don't have a GE representive in the area. So they would have to send out a tech from somewhere else. I don't want a tech to come out because by the way it sounds I can probably do it myself. Where is the best place to get this or should GE be sending me one? Here is the model numbers and serial number.

S/N - AL045513
Model - PDS22MISWW

Motherboard
Model - 0158-06-03
UL Model - R-101
GE - 200D5837G004
Service- WR55X10416
olimazi  
#254 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:51:50 AM(UTC)
olimazi

I have an update for the control board I replaced;

The good news is that the clicking noise the fridge was making when trying to start the compressor is gone.

The bad news is that there is a loud resonating/howling sound coming from the refrigerator now when it kicks on. Seems like when the the fan reaches a certain speed it starts resonating.

I don't know which fan this may be - probably the evaporator fan?

I also noticed when I hit "TurboCool" and the fan spins faster the noise goes away.

I don't know if it's a faulty board or that the new model board works the fan at such a speed that is causes it to resonate.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
John

Originally Posted by: olimazi Go to Quoted Post
Hey all,:D
I too had the infamous clicking noise from the back of my GE profile refrigerator (bottom freezer model).
Model # PDS22SFSBLSS
I called GE Consumer Relations and they said I was on the "Motherboard Program" - my unit was installed in 2006.
They offered to have the control board installed for $100 field visit.
I had them overnight the board to me instead.
I installed it today w/out issue - one thing in the instructions asks to cut 2 green wires, but I had to skip those steps as I didn't have those wires - even easier.
So far so good, no clicking (fingers crossed).
The Control Board model # was WR55X10942.
Thanks to this forum I was able to save time and money - cheers.
Oh and I will change the capacitors on the old board to keep it as a backup - the 2 big capacitors in the old board were indeed bulging.
John
dryden3  
#255 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:15:15 AM(UTC)
dryden3

My 6 year old GE GSS22QGPH WW fridge was clicking. I called 800-386-1215, went through prompts for "all other concerns", talked to a girl, told her about the problem I was having and what I'd found in this forum and how some people had gotten new circuit boards sent to them for free, gave her my model and serial#, she put me on hold to see if my fridge qualified for get the board sent to me for free, and it did. She offered to schedule for a repair guy to come put it in, but I told her I could do it myself, so she sent the board to my house. I just got it today, put it in, and now my fridge is working again!! I'm very thankful that I found this forum and very happy that GE recognized the circuit board capacitor problem is widespread so they're taking care of their customers by sending them the boards for free. I wanted to let everyone know.
TheresaFell  
#256 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2011 12:44:52 PM(UTC)
TheresaFell

i called the number noted above, gave model and serial number, they said I am eligible for new board, and shipped overnight. WIll post again after I install!
pisquelli  
#257 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:04:01 PM(UTC)
pisquelli

:) You've probably allready resolved your issue, but I'd like to share my experience for others. Clicking on the motherboard was caused by cheap capacitors from the manufacturer. Mine were smaller 25V, 470 microfarad. Look for swelling on the top of the caps. $5 fix if you can identify and soder. Good luck!

TheresaFell  
#258 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:19:22 AM(UTC)
TheresaFell

Originally Posted by: pisquelli Go to Quoted Post
:) You've probably allready resolved your issue, but I'd like to share my experience for others. Clicking on the motherboard was caused by cheap capacitors from the manufacturer. Mine were smaller 25V, 470 microfarad. Look for swelling on the top of the caps. $5 fix if you can identify and soder. Good luck!

GE sent a new motherboard overnight, no charge, and it too me about 15 minutes to change out the whole thing! A few of the connections were pretty tight...Works like a charm, and ice dispenser is even working again, which I didn't realize what part of the same problem. There was swelling on some of the capicitor caps though....
Bum  
#259 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2012 8:33:11 AM(UTC)
Bum

You're lucky. They told me that my six-year-old fridge is out of warranty (which is five years-- how convenient) and said they could send a tech out. Minimum service call charge: $80. Cost of circuit board: $193.
Gene  
#260 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2012 11:23:00 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bum Go to Quoted Post
You're lucky. They told me that my six-year-old fridge is out of warranty (which is five years-- how convenient) and said they could send a tech out. Minimum service call charge: $80. Cost of circuit board: $193.

What exactly is the problem with your refrigerator?

What is the complete model number of the refrigerator?

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply