Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<282930
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Llamas  
#291 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 11:55:18 AM(UTC)
Llamas

Groups: Registered

The temp readouts on my PDS22SFSBRSS were flickering for a while (not sure how long, since I had been away until a week ago), and then the clicking started (and the temp displays went from rapid dim-full flickering to on-off flickering in time with the clicks). I isolated the clicks to control board, searched the internet, and found this thread.

I was able to get a replacement board quickly, but it wasn't a new one (newest model number, just not a new board). I plugged it in, and... click...click...click.

Great, the replacement's bad, too.

The old board doesn't have any obviously bad solder joints or burned out components, so I plugged it back in. One click, and the condenser kicked in. Loose or corroded connect, maybe? It didn't look like it. At some point overnight, the clicking started again. So much for the miracle fix.

I got a little more methodical at this point. I didn't want to get yet another control board if it was actually some other component causing the problem indirectly. I started checking voltages, and found that the J2-3,8 voltage was 11.7 V. Pulling off the access panel, I could see that the condenser fan was not turning on with the condenser. I swapped in the newer board, and the clicking returned. However, with each click the fan turned a fraction and the voltage on the J2-3,8 circuit was 13.something V.

I wasn't sure about the timing of my different efforts, but started to wonder. Could the old board's only failure is be the fan voltage? If the condenser overheats, would the overload shut it down, causing the click/fail cycle until the condenser's temp falls again? I pointed a fan at the coils (panel still off) after the clicks started again early this morning, and after a while the condenser started. Not sure if it's related though. To check some more, I swapped in the newer board (leaving the fan running throughout the process) to see if it would work with known-to-be-cooled parts. No such luck. Click...click...click.

At this point, I'm looking at either two bad boards (with the old one being right at the edge of the click-of-death) or an off-board issue that affects the two board's differently (different tolerances to line levels?), or one of each...

Before I get another (new) control board, I may try to swap out the capacitors on the original board when I get home tonight. Which caps are associated with the relay circuit, and which (if any) are associated with the condenser fan circuit? The two resistors look ok (haven't taken a meter to them, though...). Any other components to consider?

Thanks,

--Mike
Llamas  
#292 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 10:37:10 AM(UTC)
Llamas

Well, I replaced the same 470uF capacitors that apmp945 did (mine had a slight visible bulge). I pulled one of the 47uF caps, but it tested out ok, so I didn't replace those.

The result? Meh. No clicking (in the initial 15 minutes I was there, at least), but no fan, either.

The supply voltage at the J2-8 pin is now up in the good 13.7 V range, but the fan still isn't turning. I measured the J2-4 circuit (evaporator fan)at 12.2 V and the J2-5 circuit (condenser fan) at less than 3 V.

In the absence of an obviously bad component, it will no-doubt be easier to replace the board, but I'll poke at it over the weekend to see if I can figure it out (or free the magic smoke).
pascal01  
#293 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:02:03 PM(UTC)
pascal01

Same problem here on a GE GDS20KBSAWW here is a picture of capacitors

What capacitor should i use to replace them ??

Thanks!

UserPostedImage
sprite  
#294 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 4:29:53 AM(UTC)
sprite

Hi All,

I also have a GE Profile Fridge, 2007 model...dont have the model # with me. I starting hearing the clicking noise a few days back then fridge eventually stopped cooling. I changed the main board yesterday...$200..and 24 hours later the fridge is still clicking and not cooling.
Just beaware, everyone is sating its the main board but in my case it wasn't
jimboat  
#295 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2016 6:47:17 AM(UTC)
jimboat

I have a GE model GDS20SBSBSS, constant clicking from the main board. compressor doesn't turn on, fan doesn't turn on. is the same problem with the main board? Refrigerator was purchased in 2005. Would the replacement board be still covered by the policy? is it possible that the compressor has been damaged too?
#296 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2023 5:39:02 PM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
EGcZhExY
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply