Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Russ  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2007 8:31:00 PM(UTC)
Russ

Groups: Registered

Gentlemen/Techs, I came home the other night and found the ice melting from the automatic icemaker holding tray. The temperature is a constant +44 degrees in the freezer compartment of a double door side by side Amana 7 yr. old unit. The Compressor continues to run constantly but appears to be running at half capacity as the discharge line is very warm but you could keep your hand on it. If I turn the unit off for two to three hours and then turn it back on it will come on and run perfect taking the freezer down to -5 deg. The temperature at the discharge of the compressor is hot, you could not keep you hand on it. It will make ice and produce cold water from the door faucet. After returning to the unit after work its back to running at about +44 degrees in the freezer, the ice is of course melting and I noticed that the door faucet will not produce any water when it is running in this mode. I've tried this a number of times and its the same results. I 'm sure the compressor is good and their are no freon leaks. I feel as though the problem is somewhere in the control circuit and its probably a minor component causing the problem. I don't have a wiring diagram and Amana told me that they didn't have one either. I find that a little hard to believe. Any suggestions, advice to get this thing running right would be greatly appreciated as I've been operating like this for over two weeks now.
Regards, Russ Stevens
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kawfeeman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2007 8:44:38 PM(UTC)
kawfeeman

Groups: Senior Expert

just curious if you see / hear the evaporator fan motor in the freezer running ??? how is the condenser fan motor ( beside the compressor ) and are the condenser coils clean... in most of the AMANA's, if the termination defrost t-stat remains open, the evap fan wont turn ... check the back wall of the freezer to see if there is ice buildup .. ( should check frost / ice pattern on evap ( both after leaving it off for a while as well as after it's running for many hours...
Russ  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 4:10:47 AM(UTC)
Russ

Evaporator fan is running when the system go's down to -5 deg. Evaporator fan not running when the temp go's back up to +44. However, the compressor is still running at what appears to be a lower output. Condenser fan is running fine. Condenser coils are clean. Does not appear to be any frost buildup on back wall.:confused:

Russ
kawfeeman  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 5:02:42 AM(UTC)
kawfeeman

if your unit is 5-10 years old, compressor runs at one speed ... problem is with your evap fan not circulating air ... either fan is getting hot and slowing to a stop , or def t-stat is opening and not sending power ( 110vac ) to the evap fan or or ice is accumulating and hindering rotation of evap fan motor... ( should view evap coils specifically )
Russ  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 6:26:58 AM(UTC)
Russ

Dear Jim, thanks for taking the time to try and help me with this problem. When you refer to "def t-stat" are you refering to "Timer,def" Part # AP98191, manufacturers #10530703 made by Maytag? I got these #'s from APP's part search. Would you be willing to discuss this problem with me on the phone? If so please email me at snevets4411@comcast.net and I will give you my phone # or you can give me a phone # to call you and not cause you any expense. That way neither of the #'s will be exposed on the forum/internet. Please advise. Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
Regards,
Russ Stevens:confused:
kawfeeman  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 6:41:59 AM(UTC)
kawfeeman

def t-stat, also called termination def t-stat is a little bi-metal type device with 2 wires ( most often ) and on Amana's can have a molex plug ( as opposed to some other brands where you need to splice it in ) ... have you check if the evap fan motor is free ( even after it is running for a while ? ( remember, evap fan only runs when compressor is running [ unless def t-stat is open and temp in freezer is warm ] ... )
abbie  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:27:12 AM(UTC)
abbie

Sounds Like A Compressor Problem, Can You Take An Amperage Check Of The Compressor,if So It Should Be Not Running Over 10%over Factory Spec,s.
kawfeeman  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:00:57 AM(UTC)
kawfeeman

original thread said temp gets down to -5 deg farenheit.. what would be moving the refrigerant if the compressor is the problem ?
abbie  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:13:45 AM(UTC)
abbie

YA WHEN HE FIRST STARTS IT. THEN AFTER A WHILE IT START,S TO ACT UP, COULD BE OVER HEATING, BACK PRESSURE COULD START RISING CAUSING NO REFRIGERATION HOW CAN A BI-METAL CAUSE THIS PROBLEM.BY THE WAY HERE IS MY LICENSE #88-859 domestic and commercial .. only doing the trade for 29 years,
Russ  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 7:31:35 AM(UTC)
Russ

If I turn the frig off for a couple of hours it will run perfect (after turning it back on) for almost a whole day. Then it goes into this mode where the compressor is running, condenser fan is running. I have taken notice that when its in this mode running @ about +44 deg. freezer temp., the evaporator fan is not running and the water faucet on the door does not work. Whatever is controlling the evaporator fan, I think is the problem. Not having a wiring diagram, non available from Amana, makes it difficult. I've been dealing with this now for a couple of weeks along with my wife passing away on 12-9-07. Things have been difficult around here to say the least. I really can't afford a new Frig. at this time so any help getting this thing running will be very appreciated. Regards, Russ Stevens :(