Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<2425262728>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pauloconnor98  
#251 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 10:59:41 AM(UTC)
pauloconnor98

Groups: Registered

My washer is still holding up, and I tried to fix the washer again.

Do the spinner bolts need to be removed? Looking at the pictures, it looks like those bolts only hold on a ring-like metal disc, that sits on top of the spinner, but they don't secure the spinner to the inner or outer tub.

I was thinking that if I just undo the spinner nut, I can disassemble the spinner without having to remove the spinner bolts, and still replace the inner tub seal and bearings.

So I attempted the socket trick, and ended up not succeeding. I was able to keep the spinner nut in place with a socket, but I kept dinging up the spinner support shaft to the point that my wrench couldn't apply much torque to the shaft. I was mindful of needing to turn the shaft clockwise. I did try rotating CW-CCW-CW to try and break the nut free, and did use some PB blaster. I filed the shaft dings down and re-assembled to washer for use for now.

I was thinking of buying the spanner wrench and Plate-Loc. But wasn't sure if I was unsuccessful because the spinner bolts were still in place. Does anyone know if it is necessary to take out the spinner bolts in order to take out the spinner nut?

Also, are there any alternate part sites (or part numbers) to buy the spanner wrench and Plate-Loc? I see that part numbers AP4022235 and AP4022967 are not available on the appliancepartspros.com site.
dh1200s  
#252 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 1:59:06 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

Quote:
My washer is still holding up, and I tried to fix the washer again.

Paul what has failed?
Quote:
Do the spinner bolts need to be removed? Looking at the pictures, it looks like those bolts only hold on a ring-like metal disc, that sits on top of the spinner, but they don't secure the spinner to the inner or outer tub.

The Spinner Bolts with that Clamping Ring secure the inner wash basket to the Spinner Support.

If you are replacing the Tub Seal and Outer Tub bearings I feel you could but what a job. I could be wrong……….to many virtual repairs with only one rebuild under my belt but yes I feel you could remove the 1.75” Spinner Nut and lift the inner tube as one assembly out of the Outer Tub……..have some friends over to help with the lift.

Maybe some forum members that have recently completed an Outer Tub rebuild can chime in on the question. You would not be able to replace the Tranny O-Ring or Spinner Support bearings.

Quote:
Also, are there any alternate part sites (or part numbers) to buy the spanner wrench and Plate-Loc? I see that part numbers AP4022235 and AP4022967 are not available on the appliancepartspros.com site.

If I can track down a parts supplier with the spanner and locking nut plate I will post back with that info.

Do you have access to a ½” air or electric impact tool and 1.75 socket?

That is the quick way to remove that 1.75" Spinner Nut...........Dick
pauloconnor98  
#253 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 3:16:02 PM(UTC)
pauloconnor98

Thanks for the help Dick!

Originally Posted by: dh1200s Go to Quoted Post
Paul what has failed?

My best guess is that the inner tub seal has failed, and subsequently one of of the spinner support bearings has also started to fail. I posted earlier a month ago (this same thread), about my belt burning out. I was able to disassemble the unit down to the spinner bolts, but stripped two of the bolts (just like in 2nd pic of post #2). I didn't have the tools capable of pulling the stripped studs out, so I just put the unit back together. The bearing in the clutch pulley was stuck (rusted from the tub seal leak), but I was able to refurb it back into working condition. I then covered the clutch pulley cover with tape and marine grease to keep the leaking water out of the clutch as a stop gap measure to keep the washer working through the holidays (50+ cycles so far). With these measures in place, the washer works, but is very loud during spin cycle, even though I have the washer balanced. Also small amounts of water leak out from under the tub after every cycle. During the disassembly, I did not see any corrosion past the transmission o-ring (unlike pics 1 and 7 of post #106) the , so I don't think that seal failed. I did replace that seal regardless.

The Spinner Bolts with that Clamping Ring secure the inner wash basket to the Spinner Support.

If you are replacing the Tub Seal and Outer Tub bearings I feel you could but what a job. I could be wrong……….to many virtual repairs with only one rebuild under my belt but yes I feel you could remove the 1.75” Spinner Nut and lift the inner tube as one assembly out of the Outer Tub……..have some friends over to help with the lift.

Yes - I have some friends to help with the lift. I have already been able to remove the outer tub (with the inner tub still in place), and flipped it upside down so I could attempt to remove the spinner nut.

Maybe some forum members that have recently completed an Outer Tub rebuild can chime in on the question. You would not be able to replace the Tranny O-Ring or Spinner Support bearings.

Ok. So this is good to know, as I'm pretty sure it is one of the Spinner Support bearings that also need to be replaced (I was planning on replacing both while I was in there). I was able to replace the tranny o-ring already (first picture on post #104), with the spinner bolts still in place. But if I can't replace the spinner support bearings, then I think I'll just pass on buying the tools. My hope was that I could lift the outer tub off the spinner support plate after I removed the spinner nut. And even though the inner tub (or spinner as I just realized that's what the Service Manual calls it) was still attached to the other side of the spinner support plate, I thought I would have free access to the spinner support bearings in the outer tub.

If I can track down a parts supplier with the spanner and locking nut plate I will post back with that info.

Do you have access to a ½” air or electric impact tool and 1.75 socket?

That is the quick way to remove that 1.75" Spinner Nut...........Dick

Unfortunately I don't have access to an air/electric impact tool, or a 1.75 socket. I was able to find a maytag spanner wrench on ******** for $30, and that seems like the cheaper tooling option at this time. I'll call around some tool rental places and see if they rent out the impact tool and socket.

Thanks again for the help and insight!
LeahOT  
#254 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:07:23 AM(UTC)
LeahOT

Hi,

I also have the Maytag Neptune TL FAV6800 and my machine does the same thing, shuts off at 12 minutes flashing Dc.

I have read some of the information. I am a single mother and am trying to find a friend to do the repairs for free. It seems in reading there are a few possibilities. Can someone tell me if the person who helps me should just plan on cleaning the clutch or whether there are parts I should have on stand by? How will I know what to order? I just want it up and running the fastest.

It's a 9-10 year old washer…how long can these things expect to last??

Your help is so appreciated…….

Leah
dh1200s  
#255 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2014 9:29:57 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Hello Leah,

Quote:
It's a 9-10 year old washer…how long can these things expect to last??

You can order the Clutch Pulley assembly thru this forum;

Whirlpool 12002211 Pulley & Clutch Assy - AppliancePartsPros.com

That is really good service if you have never had the Clutch Pulley replaced for DC or UC unbalance errors.

Have your friend read through the beginning of the post and remove the clutch pulley and inspect. If possible let us know if the clutch pulley has the upper one-way bearing ring used as part of the clutch pulley assembly. You will get that part as part of the replacement clutch pulley if you order it.

There are pics that point out that upper one-way bearing ring. If your series FAV6800A has that part installed from the factory then you have what I refer to as a 1st generation outer tub design for the FAV6800A and FAV9800A machines. If you elect to do an Outer Tub rebuild parts are a bit cheaper and the rebuild is a bit easier.

When you remove and inspect the clutch pulley you will find the issues causing the DC unbalance error code. The One-Way bearing in the clutch pulley hub will more than likely show signs of wash water contamination caused by tub seal leak.

If you can take pic’s and post of the condition of the clutch pulley that would help.

If are going to rebuild the Outer Tub down the road I will try to help as best I can from here………Dick
gwagner  
#256 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 2:39:16 AM(UTC)
gwagner

Wanted to see if anyone on here had a complete list of every bearing and seal needed to do the bearing replacement on, and best place to get everything. Have read alot on this my tub has locked has lot of new parts now but have seen differnt part # for bearings on here . Any help would be great .
Email : scorepions@yahoo.com
Model# FAV6800AWW
SER# 11205363EP
dh1200s  
#257 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:11:37 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Originally Posted by: gwagner Go to Quoted Post
Wanted to see if anyone on here had a complete list of every bearing and seal needed to do the bearing replacement on, and best place to get everything. Have read alot on this my tub has locked has lot of new parts now but have seen differnt part # for bearings on here . Any help would be great .
Email : scorepions@yahoo.com
Model# FAV6800AWW
SER# 11205363EP

All parts are called out in this thread for both Outer Tub designs. By that I mean 1st generation Outer Tub design = your machine uses the Upper One-Way Bearing ring above the Clutch Pulley.

2nd generation moved the Upper One-Way bearing ring functionality to the lower Outer Tub bearing assembly using this type of bearing.....Google CSK207.....that is the type of bearing used in the lower Outer Tub. Upper Outer Tub bearing uses a standard 6207-2RS.

All info is in this thread for both Outer Tub designs. I prefer to stay in the thread for support so others can benefit from other owners support........Dick
GluckMySock  
#258 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:42:07 PM(UTC)
GluckMySock

Hi. I just finished reading all 26 pages in this thread. whew! I replaced the bearings and seals in my series 10, 2 years ago. Well recently, the clothes in knots returned and I figured I needed bearings and seals again. Well, I have it apart and in looks like the only failure was the seal at the top of the agitator shaft. The seal was ruined by rust on the shaft. Soo, I need a new shaft, but can't seem to find one. I found the Spinner support assy, on here, but I only need the shaft. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Great info BTW.
Agitator shaft
dh1200s  
#259 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 6:47:52 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

""the clothes in knots returned"" Ya lost me.......tumblers wash action always leaves the wash load twisted up.

Only an O-Ring between bottom of transmission Spinner Support so that failed?

""The seal was ruined by rust on the shaft. Soo, I need a new shaft, but can't seem to find one.""

What seal are you describing? Can you post s pic?

As far as I know the agitator shaft comes with the Spinner Support as an assembly. I sold off my spare Spinner Support a while back. It was new picked up off a bid site for $50 shipped to the house.

Can you clean up the agitator shaft or is it severely pitted?

Your pic link to your agitator shaft did not work for me....may be an issue on my side.....can you navigate OK to the pic when you click on that link?

Glad your series 10 machine or any series FAV6800A/FAV9800A used the One-Way Upper Bearing ring. Make the Outer Tub rebuild a bit less of a PITA.

Yea the thread is long not a clean DIY guide.

Some pics attached so others know what we are discussing.
Dick

Edit........Looks like I need to log into your host site. Attack a pic here on this site it easier for all to comment about.
dh1200s attached the following image(s):
Agitator shaft.JPG
Agitator Shaft Spline.JPG
Transmission mounted to Spinner plate.JPG
GluckMySock  
#260 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 10:00:05 AM(UTC)
GluckMySock

The seal is the one inside the transmission that the shaft splines go through. I will post a pic when I get home. The shaft is pictured here. Sorry, wish it was a better photo. But yes, it is pitted really bad. I have a friend that is going to try and machine the shaft down and build it back up with weld and then machine it back to it's original size. I am looking for one in the meantime, just in case. Thanks again for your help.
GluckMySock attached the following image(s):
shaft.jpg
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply