Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<1415161718>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fenris  
#151 Posted : Friday, July 6, 2012 5:08:20 PM(UTC)
Fenris

Groups: Registered

Dick, when I spin the basket CW, the motor spins as well, so the bearing is locking up, it's just that because the motor spins there is no apparent resistance. Locking the motor prevents rotation.

The mesh bag PREVENTS clothes knotting, so the load balance is better. The next time the wife does a load, I'll watch.
Fenris  
#152 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2012 12:59:34 PM(UTC)
Fenris

Dick,
I watched the last few loads of laundry. The agitators spin when the basket spins in the CW direction. They don't spin in the CCW direction. I think the problem is small loads and lots of long sleeve clothes that knot up easily. It may be compounded by loose struts, but I'm not sure how much play or how easily the basket is supposed to move.
dh1200s  
#153 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2012 8:47:49 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

""The agitators spin when the basket spins in the CW direction.""

As I mentioned in past post the Wash Basket should never, ever rotate CW only CCW the spin direction. The later Outer Tub design used the Split bearing assembly pic below. The One-Way bearing that was part of that split bearing assembly in your series FAV6800A prevented CW rotation of the Wash Basket in wash/agitate cycle; Clock Wise rotation of the Clutch Pulley.

The earlier machine series used the The Upper One-Way bearing ring to prevent CW rotation of the Wash Basket by locking up with CW rotation of the Clutch Pulley the wash/agitate cycle. If I remove the Upper One-Way bearing ring on my series 10 FAV6800A I can rotate the wash basket in both CCW the Spin direction and CW....BAD

If I run a wash load with the Upper One-Way bearing removed and start a wash cycle and peer into the wash basket after the water fill cycle and the wash cycle begins I see the wash basket rotating CW and the tumblers rotating. I feel in this mode you could be taking unbalance wash tub swings which could trigger a TDS off ballance signal to the Control Board and stop the wash cycle wit a DC or UC unbalance error.

You have the Upper One-Way Bearing ring installed after the Outer Tub bearing replacement with standard 6207-2RS ball bearings (I think you used a better sealed bearing type) for upper and lower Outer Tub bearings.

Remember I mentioned that the HF3520 bearings you had pressed in are install senstive. If installed correctly in the Upper Bearing ring that One-Way bearing will allow the Spinner Support shaft to rotate CCW the spin direction.........and Lock Up Solid in the CW direction preventing CW rotation of the wash basket. The ears on the Upper One-Way bearing ring fit into the slots of the Lower Outer tub.

So here is what you have if I did not miss read your post to date.

You are using the Upper One-Way bearing ring…..old ring with new HF3520 bearing pressed in.

You are using your old Clutch Pulley with new HF3520 bearing pressed in.

After the Outer Tub rebuild you can rotate the wash basket thru the lid in both the CCW spin direction/Clutch Pulley CCW rotation and the CW direction BAD. When you start a wash cycle you see the Wash Basket rotating CW maybe slow rotation rate and the tumblers rotating which is normal for Wash/Agitate cycle.

Spin Cycle works as designed by that I mean the Wash Basket will spin up to .85 in service mode 850 RPM or very close to max RPM.

To me from a distance it seems the Upper One-Way Bearing is allowing rotation in both directions. CCW the Spin direction which correct operation but is allowing the Spinner Support to rotate CW in wash/agitate cycle…..CW rotation of the Clutch Pulley which it should not.

I’m no expert and I’m troubleshooting from the Key Board.

I know this is a PITA but I would remove the Upper One-Way bearing ring and insert the Spinner Shaft Coupler my name for it in the bearing and see if that HF 3520 spins freely in one direction with Spinner Shaft Coupler rotation and Locks Up with opposite Spinner Shaft Coupler rotation. If the Spinner Shaft Coupler rotates in that One-Way bearing in both directions spray the bearing with WD-40 then check that the Spinner Shaft Coupler rotates in one direction and locks up in the opposite.

If the HF 3520 was pressed in the bearing ring correctly for proper Spinner Support Shaft rotation you should be good to go.

If it's pressed in wrong and the bearing is locking up correctly you may have belt screech/Motor lock up. From what you mantioned in a previous post you feel that bearing was installed correctly. The Clutch Pulley One-Way bearing seems to be installed correctly. I would hit that bearing with a WD-40 wash then lint free cloth wipe down. Lube with Slick 50 One Lube if you have or any light oil. If all you have is WD-40 then lube with that. I would never recommend any type of bearing grease be used in these One-Way bearings.....just me.

Hang in there I feel the issue is fixable. I would not replace the struts unless they sag or do not return to level Wash Tub condition when you fully compress the struts.

Did you read thru the Strut compression checks I had forum member gowest4552 do in this post; Maytag Neptune load unbalance

Dick
dh1200s attached the following image(s):
SERIES~1.JPG
SERIES~3.JPG
SERIES~2.JPG
SERIES~4.JPG
thorning  
#154 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2012 5:37:15 PM(UTC)
thorning

Which model is easier to repair -the TL or front load when the bearing fails
dh1200s  
#155 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2012 6:16:23 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

I'm an owner with hands on with my FAV6800A and some knowledge of the FAV9800A, these machines are TL's.

Try asking that question in the washer forum and do a search of this forum.

Got a model in mind?

Quick Google search may give you some insight like this; MAYTAG NEPTUNE BEARING REPLACEMENT REVISITED PART 1. - YouTube

Good Luck..........Dick
thorning  
#156 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2012 7:57:28 PM(UTC)
thorning

The washer I am concerned with is the FAV6800 TL model with a bearing under the tub that is apparently seized up. My question is which one of the Neptune units is cheaper to repair, the top load or the front load ?
davidgg  
#157 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2012 10:13:05 AM(UTC)
davidgg

Dick can i do a outer tub bearing replacement on a maytag neptune top load fav6800 ser#17 on a tub without the notches ? Thanks David
dh1200s  
#158 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 4:44:23 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Originally Posted by: davidgg Go to Quoted Post
Dick can i do a outer tub bearing replacement on a maytag neptune top load fav6800 ser#17 on a tub without the notches ? Thanks David

David I have not done a bearing job on my series 17 machine only my bid win on a series 10 which used the Upper One-Way Bearing ring and had the notches in the outer tub bottom/Upper One-Way bearing ring installed from the factory.

The purpose of that Upper Bearing ring is to prevent the Spinner Support from rotating CW during CW rotation of the Clutch Pulley the wash/agitate cycle. It allows CCW rotation so the Spinner Support will spin the wash basket in spin cycle.

So my answer/opinion is no. If only owners could find and replace that split bearing assembly for the lower Outer Tub bearing. I gave up looking for that bearing assembly see the pics a few post back. Maytag eng. I feel made a big mistake in the Outer Tub design when they moved the fuctionality of the Upper One-Way bearing ring to that lower Outer Tub split bearing assembly.

If other owners or appliance tech's know different please chime in.

I believe some of the series 17 and 16 machines made it thru the production cycle with the notches in the bottom of the Outer Tub without the Upper One-Way bearing ring installed. Sounds like your Outer Tub is not one of those.

Good luck David................Dick
Fenris  
#159 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2012 5:31:21 AM(UTC)
Fenris

Dick, the freewheeling 6207-RS can be replaced with the CSK 207 one way bearing, they are the exact same size. I fixed my washer by doing so and have had no problems with it for several months. The only place I could find the bearing was from Boca Bearings.
dh1200s  
#160 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2012 6:28:47 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Originally Posted by: Fenris Go to Quoted Post
Dick, the freewheeling 6207-RS can be replaced with the CSK 207 one way bearing, they are the exact same size. I fixed my washer by doing so and have had no problems with it for several months. The only place I could find the bearing was from Boca Bearings.

Fenris great find!

This may be the fix for folks with a machine that has the redesigned Outer Tub with no notches in the bottom of the Outer Tub for the Upper One-Way bearing ring.

Did your machine use the Upper One-Way Bearing ring?

If not did you use two CSK207’s One way bearings flipped in the races of the Outer Tub to support proper lock up for Spin Cycle and Wash cycle?

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/One-Way-Bearings/19261/35x72x17-CSK207

Thank you for your feedback………………Dick