Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<23456>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dh1200s  
#31 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 9:01:21 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: rambler2411 Go to Quoted Post
Here's a second try at the pic upload

That's down right nasty. No saving that Clutch Pulley.
dh1200s  
#32 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 9:24:52 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

Mike, Andy, heads up.

""We also have the water in the washbasket. I have not had a chance to see how the water got in or how to get it out.""

That I believe is a saline solution to help dampen out tub oscillations installed from the factory, don&#8217;t fix that&#8230;.. it&#8217;s not broke.

Like Mike mentioned there will be some resistance to turning. I have not seen any trannys go bad in the many hundreds of post on four different forums I have been on. The drive motor in this machine seems to be real solid also.

You gents are making some solid headway two new FAV6800A GURU&#8217;s welcome to the club and spread the knowledge. You both will have a real good working knowledge of the machine when this is all over.

Keep your eyes open for machines that folks are junking and grab them up. It&#8217;s good to have a spare Control Board, Console, and Motor Controller for troubleshooting.......Pulling the plug I just got home from work and I'm dragging tonight.

You can extend the service with the PM's you guys are doing. The Left Hand Lid Lock will cause some issues I believe I mentioned it in this post. But first things first the Outer Tub rebuild.........Have a good one gents.......Dick
dh1200s  
#33 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 9:38:09 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

Andy,

I see you are on line can you give me a quick ping on my e-mail
Tnx,
Dick
dnmll  
#34 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 10:20:50 PM(UTC)
dnmll

Hey thanks for the heads up Dick. I might have drilled a hole and let it out or something.lol I'm glad I was gone most of the day.I still have to read your post on the lid lock too.Thanks
Mike
dh1200s  
#35 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 10:32:26 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

No problem when I pulled my inner tub out I scrached my head.... what the :confused:

I guess Andy is passed out at the keyboard see him on line.....well his computer is awake.

I wanted to chat with him about his Clutch and the p/n we discussed.

Pulling the plug for sure now.
rambler2411  
#36 Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2011 4:18:44 PM(UTC)
rambler2411

Hi Guys,

Today I got the tub bearings out, cleaned up the races with a wire brush on my drill, lightly greased the whole thing, and put in new bearings. I used the old bearings as buffers between the hammer and the new bearing, and that worked fine. I found that if I put the bottom bearing in first, I tended to knock it back out of the race when I tapped in the top bearing, which has no stop in its race. So, I flipped the tub over and finished by bottoming the bottom bearing in its race. Now, the spacer is snug between the two bearings, an I wonder if I should have packed the space between the spacer and the housing with grease. This is an area where the grease from the bearings ends up. The more I look at the tub seal, the more it looks like the old bearing cup from one of my early autos, and I am tempted to pack it with grease, too.

Would that cause grease to leak into the washer?:cool:

I wish I had scrubbed some of the crud off the tub while I had the bearings out. Once I had that back together, I didn't feel like getting water into the bearing housing, so the tub stays cruddy.

I'm cleaning up the Spinner Support Assembly, and that part bothers me. I think there is supposed to be a watertight seal formed between the Tub Seal and the inner radius of the portion of this assembly that holds the shaft. It appears to be a cast aluminum pat, and there are some nicks and aluminum oxide flowering in this area. I am going to try to smooth and polish it, trying not to cross that sealing surface with any scratches.

I missed the post on the $77 clutch and wasted an extra $16. Oh well.

Dick: Good Luck to the Steelers!

Andy
dh1200s  
#37 Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2011 6:03:46 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

Andy,

Did you remove the old Tub Seal sleeve from the Spinner Support?

“”I wonder if I should have packed the space between the spacer and the housing with grease.”” I vote no for that but let’s have Mike chime in.

“”This is an area where the grease from the bearings ends up.”” The bearings are sealed so I’m not sure I follow.

“”The more I look at the tub seal, the more it looks like the old bearing cup from one of my early autos, and I am tempted to pack it with grease, too.””
I used nothing extra and the tub seal I had came pre greased.

“”I'm cleaning up the Spinner Support Assembly, and that part bothers me. I think there is supposed to be a watertight seal formed between the Tub Seal and the inner radius of the portion of this assembly that holds the shaft. It appears to be a cast aluminum pat, and there are some nicks and aluminum oxide flowering in this area. I am going to try to smooth and polish it, trying not to cross that sealing surface with any scratches.””

Andy the scoring/pitting you are describing is that the area I have highlighted in red on the Spinner Support that slips into the Tub Seal?

Do you have a Pic?
dh1200s attached the following image(s):
Spinner Support Tub Seal location.JPG
rambler2411  
#38 Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2011 6:12:48 PM(UTC)
rambler2411

Hi Bill,

Yeah, you're picture shows the spot. I can't see how that tub seal makes a good watertight seal there. The spinner basket rotates, so the Spinner Support must rotate inside the tub seal sleeve, right? (I did remove the old sleeve). The upper bearing inside the Spinner Support assembly on my washer had a lot of rusty buildup caked against it. I think I can clean up those bearings but I want to make a better seal.

Go Steelers! I can't believe - you must be writing during commercials.

Best,

Andy
dh1200s  
#39 Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2011 6:37:55 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

''"Go Steelers! I can't believe - you must be writing during commercials.""

Yep it's all over now.:(

""The spinner basket rotates, so the Spinner Support must rotate inside the tub seal sleeve"

The metal sleeve seemed to be a tight friction fit on the Spinner Support and I think that it and the Spinner Support spin inside the seal.

I never gave it very much thought except the Tub Seal system seemed very lean in design for such an important function.

Dick
dnmll  
#40 Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2011 9:10:05 PM(UTC)
dnmll

From what I can see the tub seal sleeve fits tight against the shaft and spins inside the rubber part of the seal. I think the reason it failed is because it got hard over time. It seems like a poor design but mine lasted over 6 years so maybe that'd be ok if they made it easier to fix and not tell you to junk it and buy a new washer. I dont have the new seal yet so I'm guessing you want to make the shaft as smooth as possible and I would think using vaseline on all rubber seals would be good. That's how you do it on pools and spas. I think they should have a different drive system without making spinning part go through water. Just think how long it would last. Oh yeah they wouldn't like that much would they? Lol. As far a packing the area between the bearings with grease I dont see any benefit to it. I do think the holes in the outer tub in that area are vents to reduce heat in there. Just my 2 cents.
Mike