Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages<12345>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dh1200s  
#21 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 8:19:10 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Groups: Registered

Mike,

While you are waiting for parts you may want to look at that Left Hand Lid Lock as a PM measure see this post. FAV6800A/FAV9800A Left Hand Lid Lock issues
rambler2411  
#22 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 10:06:39 AM(UTC)
rambler2411

Dick,
I am finally disassembling and have hit a couple of possible issues. First, I cannot rotate the Spinner so the arrow points toward the back (12 o'clock). It just won't rotate. So, I've taken the tumblersand tumbler bearings out while the arrow points to about 7 o'clock.

Next issue is only the "L" tumbler had a toothed Jounal - the part shown at the top of page 39 in the SM.

I'm proceeding with tranny removal. What is the upshot of doing this aligned at 7 o'clock, and is there supposed to be 2 Jounals, one on the back of each Tumbler?

Thanks,

Andy
dh1200s  
#23 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 11:02:31 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

&#8220;&#8221;I am finally disassembling and have hit a couple of possible issues. First, I cannot rotate the Spinner so the arrow points toward the back (12 o'clock). It just won't rotate.&#8221;&#8221;

It sounds like the Spinner Assembly is locked up in the Outer Tub bearings. You can&#8217;t rotate the wash basket CCW is that correct? If so I would just continue with tear down.

&#8220;&#8221;Next issue is only the "L" tumbler had a toothed Jounal - the part shown at the top of page 39 in the SM.&#8221;&#8221;

&#8220;&#8221;and is there supposed to be 2 Jounals, one on the back of each Tumbler?&#8221;&#8221; If you mean this see pick below Journal Lock

We are talking about these parts AP4009556 it looks like someone tried to pull the tumbler before.

&#8220;&#8221;I'm proceeding with tranny removal. What is the upshot of doing this aligned at 7 o'clock,&#8221;&#8221;

I think you are refering to the resting posistion of the wash basket because can't rotate the wash basket to the posistion as shown page 39? If so go forward with tear down.

I have to leave for work shortly 3:30PM to 12:30AM Tue thru Sat. Maybe Mike can jump in here and help if you have questions he is moving right along with his project. I did this two years ago and have only a poor memory and some pic's to fall back on. Will drop back in after work tonight.

Dick
dh1200s attached the following image(s):
Journal Lock.jpg
dh1200s  
#24 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 11:10:02 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Link did not come thru go to FAV6800AWW parts break down and view this AP4009556

Or click on this URL
Part Details - WHIRLPOOL Lifter flange bearin, part number: AP4009556
dnmll  
#25 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 11:23:04 AM(UTC)
dnmll

Hi Andy
I think if I understand correctly you have some bearings locked up. If that's the case just proceed with tear down. You dont need to worry about the timing until you put it back together. I would keep trying to spin the basket at each stage of disassembly. Take the clutch off first and spin, then tumblers and spin, transmission and spin, etc just to get an idea what part is locked up. Mike
rambler2411  
#26 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 1:26:29 PM(UTC)
rambler2411

Hi Mike,
Good suggestions. I didn't check for spin after I took out the tumblers, and one of them was missing its Journal lock - the part pictured in Dick's post from earlier. There was some spin scoring on the Tumbler Bearing beneath the one Journal Lock. I've ordered a new set.
I took the Spinner out and have also taken the tub out. The bearings are okay, but I'm going to replace them anyway since they're getting a little rough.
The Pulley Clutch looks like a bomb went off in it. I'm going to try to attach a picture. The sheet metal springs are bent and the SS pin is loose and rolling around inside. I don't know if I can salvage it.

Andy
rambler2411  
#27 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 1:41:17 PM(UTC)
rambler2411

Here's a second try at the pic upload
File Attachment(s):
Pulley Clutch.pdf (57kb) downloaded 211 time(s).
rambler2411  
#28 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 3:23:35 PM(UTC)
rambler2411

Well, it looks like the pulley clutch bearings completely failed. The white teflon housing was covered with a greasy black film, and when I drove the coupler out it was caked with a burned-on grease mess. The roller bearings don't look like they'll ever roll again.

I'll post a pick later.

Got the big 1.75" nut off using a spud wrench, which I tapped CCW while holding the spindle with the handle of a spanner.

I'll replace the tub bearings tomorrow and order a new clutch assembly ($93!) and some Journal Locks.

Andy
rambler2411  
#29 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 7:22:38 PM(UTC)
rambler2411

Dick,

It looks like the culprit was a seized bearing in the pulley clutch. Once that froze, the clutch spring apparently got mangled, as you can see in the pdf I posted earlier. I'm going ahead with the tub bearing replacement while I wait for a new pulley clutch assembly, since they feel a little rough.

My spinner bolts came out with some effort, but they were not too bad. That Journal Lock thing is called a Lifter Bearing assembly and you gave me the right number, thanks. It looks like an order of 1 gets you 4 pieces- 2 for each Tumbler (Lifter).

A plumber's spud wrench ($10) can be used on the big 1.75" nut, if you put the handle of a wrench in the slot of the spindle, hold them both with one hand while tapping the spud wrench with a small hammer. It takes time - the nut turns with difficulty for about the first full 1-2 turns. I don't have an impact driver.

The spinner basket seems to have water in it, and I haven't figured out how to get it out. I'd like to drain it and somehow seal it against any more water getting in, if possible. Do you know if/how that can be done?

Is there a way to tell if the tranny is still good? Should the gears be a little resistant to spinning?

A lot of questions, I know. I really appreciate all the help you've given me. This has actually been kinda fun so far.

Best,

Andy
dnmll  
#30 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 8:12:27 PM(UTC)
dnmll

Hi Andy,

Good job on the tear down. It kind of sounds like someone might have tried to repair it before and didn't do a good job of it.

We also have the water in the washbasket. I have not had a chance to see how the water got in or how to get it out.

Did they give you the part #'s for the parts you need, such as the clutch, bearings, and seals? If not, let me know. I still have the info since I just ordered all mine yesterday.

The transmission should be a little resistant to spinning. If you look through the plastic while you turn it, you should be able to see the oil slowly slosh back and forth. If it moves quickly, then it means you have water in there.

Good luck,
Mike
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply