Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gkaprelian  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 3:37:17 AM(UTC)
gkaprelian

Groups: Registered

What drives the defrost cycle, the defrost thermostat or the defrost timer. I have a fridge that keeps turning the compressor off and won't always come back on. any suggestions on narrowing the problem down?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 4:11:31 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for AMANA ARS2667AW Ref - SXS/I&W | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is the tech sheet
http://www.servicematters.com/maytag_library/docs/T13055R1.pdf

And a manual
http://www.servicematters.com/maytag_library/docs/S130_4R1.pdf

[COLOR="Blue"]What drives the defrost cycle, the defrost thermostat or the defrost timer.[/COLOR]
The defrost timer (Item 1541 in Section 12) drives the defrost cycle.
The defrost thermostat just turns the defrost heater off once the ice/frost is melted off the evaporator coils.
[COLOR="Blue"]
I have a fridge that keeps turning the compressor off and won't always come back on.[/COLOR]
If the evaporator fan also is off then odds are that the main temperature control thermostat is sticking open. If you can get it to come back on by fiddling with the temperature control then it is the likely culprit.

If adjusting the defrost timer cam gets the unit running then it is the likely culprit. Note: According to the manual defrost comes on every 8 hours of compressor run time.

If the compressor is off but the compressor/condenser fan is on it could be the start device.

Here is a good site with additional troubleshooting info.
Refrigerator Repair Guide: How To Fix a Refrigerator - ACME HOW TO.com
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
gkaprelian  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 4:37:06 AM(UTC)
gkaprelian

Okay, what would make my freezer operate around 18 degrees, but the fridge is fine (about 35 degrees)? GK

------------------------
Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for AMANA ARS2667AW Ref - SXS/I&W | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is the tech sheet
http://www.servicematters.com/m...ibrary/docs/T13055R1.pdf

And a manual
http://www.servicematters.com/m...ibrary/docs/S130_4R1.pdf

What drives the defrost cycle, the defrost thermostat or the defrost timer.
The defrost timer (Item 1541 in Section 12) drives the defrost cycle.
The defrost thermostat just turns the defrost heater off once the ice/frost is melted off the evaporator coils.

I have a fridge that keeps turning the compressor off and won't always come back on.
If the evaporator fan also is off then odds are that the main temperature control thermostat is sticking open. If you can get it to come back on by fiddling with the temperature control then it is the likely culprit.

If adjusting the defrost timer cam gets the unit running then it is the likely culprit. Note: According to the manual defrost comes on every 8 hours of compressor run time.

If the compressor is off but the compressor/condenser fan is on it could be the start device.

Here is a good site with additional troubleshooting info.
Refrigerator Repair Guide: How To Fix a Refrigerator - ACME HOW TO.com
denman  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 4:55:01 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Okay, what would make my freezer operate around 18 degrees, but the fridge is fine (about 35 degrees)
Cannot say without more info.

Now I am confused!!
Is the problem that the compressor will not come back on sometimes OR is it cycling but the freezer temperature is too high?

Also how long has it done this?
This can happen if you have a defrost problem but over a couple of weeks the ice/frost will build up to the point that you need to manually defrost the unit to get it working again.

Since the compressor is not running constantly I think you can rule out a low freon problem. This can be confirmed by letting the unit run a couple hours and then looking at the evaporator coils. If the frost pattern on the coils is even then freon levels are OK. Usually low freon shows up as the compressor running constantly and there is only frost in one area of the coils.

Does sound like he thermostat is the problem but you have to do more troubleshooting.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
gkaprelian  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:23:28 AM(UTC)
gkaprelian

Sorry it took so long to get back, just got back from vacation. To answer your last questions:
How long has this been doing this? Since July 5 we noticed the ice maker was not making much ice. When I checked the freezer temp. I noticed the temp was around 20 degrees. That’s when I set the freezer control a little colder. The freezer responded to that but only got down to 10 degrees. That’s when I cleaned the coils on the bottom of the fridge. That did not seem to help any. I noticed the compressor wasn’t running and that’s when I found the defrost timer and moving the red knob that kicked on the compressor. During that day, every time we checked, the compressor it was running (don’t know if it ever went into defrost mode), this would have been July 7 now. The next morning the freezer temp was around 15 degrees and the compressor was working. I turned the freezer control a little colder (between 6 and 7 on the control) and the compressor kicked off. It took about 20 minutes to pass before I could get the compressor to kick back on with the defrost timer (don’t know if that was coincidental). In the 20 minutes the compressor was off, the freezer temp went from 15 to 30 degrees. From that point on, the freezer temp ranged from 15 to about 25 degrees. On July 9, we emptied the freezer and refrigerator and went on vacation. We came back on July 13 to find the freezer temp below 0 degrees. After checking the temperature a few times, the freezer went up to 15-20 degrees. I replaced the defrost timer last night and this morning the freezer temp was at 10 degrees. But after opening the freezer and fridge doors a few times the temp rose to 25 degrees. As a note, when the freezer is around 10 degrees, the fridge temp is around 33 degrees. When the freezer temp gets to 25-30 degrees, the fridge temp gets up to 40-42 degrees. I do know now that the compressor is cycling on and off consistently.
Is the problem the compressor will not come back on or the freezer temp too high? The freezer temp is too high. After coming back from vacation, it seems the freezer can get cold enough when no one is opening the doors, but as soon as the doors open a few times, the temp climbs. Also I noticed when the unit is not running, the temp rises rather quickly, from 15 degrees to 20-25 degrees in a matter of 20 minutes. Seems like it should maintain temp better than that.
I did a continuity check on the old and new defrost timers and they both performed the same (no continuity between connectors 1 and 3, and continuity between 1 and 4, and 1 and 2 when the timer knob was turned).

Not sure why the unit cannot maintain the freezer around the 0 degree mark anymore. Seems like it cannot keep up with the demand. I removed the rear panel of the freezer last night and noted the top half of the evaporator coils frost up. Reading up on the material you provided indicates there is a refrigerant leak. Do you think it is worth getting this fixed on a 10 yr old fridge, considering I still have an extended warranty on the compressor? Where is the most common place for the refrigerant to leak out from on an Amana?.