Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rescue31  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2013 6:17:03 AM(UTC)
Rescue31

Groups: Registered

Hello,

This is going to be a bit long but please bear with me. We've had this unit for 4 to 5 years. While it was still under warranty the compressor had to be replaced. 3 months ago the fridge quit cooling and I troubleshot the problem to the defrost thermostat using a digital VOM. Everything worked fine again until 3 days ago when the coils started freezing again and the fridge quit cooling. This time I used the temperature controls in the fridge to check the diagnostic codes. Everything checked out fine. I then used the controls to force a "short" defrost and it defrosted the coils enough to start cooling the fridge again. (There is still a lot of frost on the rear of the freezer though) I am unsure where to look next. I'm thinking that if I can manually check the inputs and and manually trigger the defrost cycle (from the controls) then it may be the control board??? My reasoning behind this is that the inputs are getting to the control board and the board isn't working correctly to auto trigger the defrost cycle. On the service sheet giving the instructions for the diagnostic codes it says to only force a short defrost and that the long defrost is only used in the factory. I think if I force a long defrost it will clear the back of the freezer of the ice and I can use the fridge until I figure out what is going on. Is it ok to force a long defrost cycle to do this? Have you ever run into this problem? What would you check or do next? BTW, I am an aircraft mechanic by trade and am comfortable with mechanics and electricity.

Thank you for your time,
Bob aka Rescue31 :confused: :confused: :confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2013 8:35:42 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I agree with you that the board is probably toast.

I cannot see a problem with running a full defrost (tech sheet seems to indicate that it will be about 25 minutes).. Once the ice has melted off the coils then the defrost thermostat should open killing power to the heater.
i would check it every 5 minutes or so just to be sure it is not doing any overheating.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Rescue31  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 9:46:25 AM(UTC)
Rescue31

Just a quick update. Since I have forced a defrost, the fridge has been working fine except that there is still some frost on the back panel of the freezer. I'm really stymied as to why if froze up though. Hopefully I won't have the problem again. I guess for now I will go with the, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." approach.
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:59:28 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I will keep my fingers crossed but odds are that the problem will re-occur.
Depending on how often doors are opened and the humidity in your area, it can take a couple days to a couple weeks for frost to build up on the evaporator coils to the point where it causes cooling problems.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Rescue31  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 3:57:50 AM(UTC)
Rescue31

Yes. I will be surprised if it doesn't happen again. I hate intermittent faults. I almost wish it was a hard fault so I could say, here's the problem and fix it. Thanks for your help. I'll be back if the problem returns.