Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

25 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gowest4552  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 26, 2009 6:42:35 PM(UTC)
gowest4552

Groups: Registered

All of a sudden, my washer will not spin because the load unbalance keeps making it reset. Small load or large about the same.
Will spin & unload water if no clothes are in it.
Any help out there?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 27, 2009 2:56:15 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Remove the front panel under the door and look for busted shocks.
gowest4552  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2009 7:02:57 AM(UTC)
gowest4552

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Remove the front panel under the door and look for busted shocks.

Hey richappy,
Thank you for your quick response. I will now try find/order the parts.
Sounds like that would be the exact answer.
I'll let you know how it turns out if that's ok.
Thanks again,
gowest455
dh1200s  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2009 7:10:48 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

The failing in Spin Cycle of the wash cycle (or a Spin Only cycle) with a dC or uC error LED display for the of the FAV6800A my machine type or an unbalance statement to the LCD display of your FAV9800A is caused by a very common Clutch Malfunction.

Do you hear/see the wash tub banging around at the start of a spin cycle? If so you have a classic clutch malfunction with the FAV9800A or FAV6800A the LED version of the machine which is my machine. Your TDS sensor is working as designed or the machine would shake itself apart if that failed with this Clutch Malfunction.

I’m an owner like you not a repair person but I know the FAV6800A/FAV9800A series very well.

Do you want to DIY the repair? You need basic mechanical skill sets to perform Clutch Maintenance or replacement. I would estimate you will drop $300 plus if you call in a repair service that is knowledgeable on the machine series and understand what is causing the unbalance error condition.

A repair service will not clean up and re-lube the One-Way clutches/bearings in the Clutch Pulley assembly it's just not cost effective for a repair service..... but it is for the DIY'er. Also can you let us know what the first two digits of your serial number i.e. 10,11,12,13,…up to 17. That is your series number of your machine and may tell me if your machine series will use the upper One-Way roller clutches bearing ring.

If you are the least bit handy you can fix the issue it’s just a tight work area. I have a full Clutch maintenance/Clutch replacement process write up. I can post that process on this site. Let me know what direction you wnat to go.

This is an easy low cost fix if the One-Way Roller Clutches can be cleaned up. If they can't I recommend a replacement clutch from this site AP4310552. I know so many of the FAV9800A/FAV6800A ($1K) machines end up trashed for a very easy cost effective repair. You will need the Service Manual fo the machine it's on the web.

Forum Mod is OK to post link to the Service Manual for the FAV6800A/FAV9800A on this board?

Dick
dh1200s  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2009 7:17:57 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Trust me it's not the front struts.
dh1200s  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2009 8:45:01 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

I should have searched this site here is a link for the manual from this site for the FAV6800A/FAV9800A. It sounds like you want to DIY.

Google this p/n for the SM ""16022808 Rev. 0""

From this post.

http://forum.appliancepartspros...will-not-drain-code.html

You need to drop the clutch pulley out of the machine. I think you will find something liks this plus rust on the One-Way roller Clutchs/bearing.

Last Pic shows clearly the front struts when you remove the front cover. Do Clutch mainenance or replacement if necessary and your FAV9800A will be :D and you will save big $$$.

Dick
dh1200s attached the following image(s):
DSC0Series 10 Clutch lots of powder in the hub large wrap spring removed..JPG
Series 10 Upper One-Way Roller Clutch ring before clean up..JPG
Series 10 Clutch lots of powder all cleaned up..JPG
This how I work on the machine you can lay the machine down for ease of access and removal..JPG
gowest4552  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2009 4:46:29 PM(UTC)
gowest4552

Hello Dick,
Yes, tub bangs at start.
The first 2 digits of Serial # is 15 (whole SN is 15657132ga)
Do you know how to check the shocks to see if they are up to par? I know on car shocks you can tell good from bad very easily.
I did go to sevice manual and downloaded it. "Thanks.
And this quote from you:
"If you are the least bit handy you can fix the issue it’s just a tight work area. I have a full Clutch maintenance/Clutch replacement process write up. I can post that process on this site. Let me know what direction you wnat to go. "
Yes that would be great to have the Clutch maintenance process writeup.
I am totally knew to this webb site stuff, but it seems great if I can master it.
I am 70 years old but used to do a lot of this sort of cars/appliance tinkering - although my profession was Construction electrician.
Lastly, I am keeping some of my grandkids thru Christmas/New Years school break so am slow to respond and getting to work on it.
Thank You so much for the help.
Kenneth gowest4552

Originally Posted by: dh1200s Go to Quoted Post
The failing in Spin Cycle of the wash cycle (or a Spin Only cycle) with a dC or uC error LED display for the of the FAV6800A my machine type or an unbalance statement to the LCD display of your FAV9800A is caused by a very common Clutch Malfunction.

Do you hear/see the wash tub banging around at the start of a spin cycle? If so you have a classic clutch malfunction with the FAV9800A or FAV6800A the LED version of the machine which is my machine. Your TDS sensor is working as designed or the machine would shake itself apart if that failed with this Clutch Malfunction.

I’m an owner like you not a repair person but I know the FAV6800A/FAV9800A series very well.

Do you want to DIY the repair? You need basic mechanical skill sets to perform Clutch Maintenance or replacement. I would estimate you will drop $300 plus if you call in a repair service that is knowledgeable on the machine series and understand what is causing the unbalance error condition. A repair service will not clean up and re-lube the One-Way clutches/bearings in the Clutch Pulley assembly it not cost effective but it is for the DIY'er. Also can you let us know what the first two digits of your serial number i.e. 10,11,12,13,…up to 17. That is your series number of your machine and may tell me if your machine series will use the upper One-Way roller clutches bearing ring.

If you are the least bit handy you can fix the issue it’s just a tight work area. I have a full Clutch maintenance/Clutch replacement process write up. I can post that process on this site. Let me know what direction you wnat to go.

This is an easy low cost fix if the One-Way Roller Clutches can be cleaned up. If they can't I recommend a replacement clutch from this site AP4310552. I know so many of the FAV9800A/FAV6800A (1$K) machines end up trashed for a very easy cost effective repair. You will need the Service Manual fo the machine it's on the web.

Forum Mod is OK to post link to the Service Manual for the FAV6800A/FAV9800A on this board?

Dick
dh1200s  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2009 6:21:19 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

Kenneth,
You series 15 struts will look just like mine. That machine was an internet buy for $.99 plus $25 for gas an tolls. Failing in Spin Cycle like yours. Clean up of the One-Way Roller Clutches with WD-40 and re-lube with Slick 50 One Lube and it was back in service. Total cost to repair maybe $10. I hope you can get away with a Clutch maintenance clean up. I think you will. Your series 15 machine may not use the upper One-Way Roller clutches bearing ring. You will see some pics below.

As I said it’s a tight work area but you do not need to remove the wash tub to remove the clutch. You can inspect the front struts when you pull the front cover off. With the front cover off you can press them down and they should and I feel will return to level position.

Tell ya what don’t remove the cover just yet. Walk over to your FAV9800A open the lid and press the left front tub down by the bleach dispenser as far as you can and release. Did the wash tub return to level setting? Do the same for right front side? Did the wash tub return to level setting? If so your struts are OK but you can do the compression checks of the struts with the front cover off and see that they return to level non sagging set point.

I feel the best way to work on the machine is lay it down on it’s back with a 4X4 (if ya don’t have a bike lift) just below where the drain line exits the machine. Have some bath towels around for any water that main drain out. With your clutch malfunction I read where you ran a Quick Spin cycle with no clothes and the cycle completed.

That's because the slipping One-Way roller clutches that allowed the tumblers to rotate while spinning up had no clothes in the wash basket to shift off balance and the spin cycle completed… no dC or uC error code. If you think you have excess water in the machine go to page 16 of the SM and enter Service Mode then go into Board Output Test and turn on the Drain Pump until you feel the wash tub is as empty as it will get.

Here ya go;

Raise the top of the machine. Insert a flat blade putty knife approximately 2.5” from the left and right sides of the washer top, depress the spring tabs securing machine top to the washer base. See page 33 of the SM for putty knife insertion point.

With a 5/16 nut driver or 5/16 ¼ socket on an extension to remove front panel see page 41 of the Service Manual remove the front panel.

Tools required;
3/8 inch socket and socket wrench to remove clutch pulley bolt. Page 47 of the SM

1/2 inch socket or wrench to loosen Drive Motor tension bolt.

5/16 nut driver or 5/16 ¼ socket on an extension to remove front panel.

1. Lean the washer back and blocked up in that position against a wall for a better reach angle or on the floor as discribed above. Remove the 3/8” clutch Pulley Bolt. That bolt is standard thread. Or lay the machine down on the back panel as described above.

2. Follow SM page 46 & 47 to remove clutch pulley.

3. Remove 4 screws holding plastic cover on clutch, inspect clutch spring to make sure it is not broken. If either clutch spring retaining end is broken off then the clutch must be replaced. Inspect Roller Clutch bearings and clean up with WD-40 and re-lube with Slick 50 One Lube. Some machine series use an Upper Roller Clutch bearing and always a lower clutch pulley Roller Clutch bearing. My series 16 machine doesn’t use the Upper Roller Clutch one way bearing. These bearings are one way rotation bearings in the Clockwise direction. Make sure the Spinner Shaft Coupler will rotate freely in the CW direction in both Roller Clutch bearings. If the Roller Clutch bearings or Spinner Shaft Coupler will not clean up with WD-40 I recommend a clutch replacement.

4. Replace white bearing plate into clutch pulley hub, insure key slot slips into clutch Spring pin in the clutch hub.

5. Replace Clutch plastic cover with 4 screws.

6. Reinstalling the Clutch Pulley assembly is the most difficult part of the process. With a tight work area try a test fitment of seating (if used) the Upper Roller Clutch bearing with the notches into the bottom of the wash tub. Then insert the Spinner Shaft Coupler into that bearing rotating CW to reseat the coupler notches to the spinner shaft. Then the clutch pulley to the squared end agitator shaft. Rock back and forth the clutch pulley assembly with upward lifting pressure to reseat the clutch assembly. When the clutch assembly is properly seated you will feel a 1/16-1/8" gap between the Pulley face and shaft end as mentioned and shown on page 47 of the SM. On reinstallation, tighten Clutch Pulley bolt CCW to 96” pounds 8’ foot pounds (Snug no torque wrench required).

7. Do a quick wash and make sure clutch runs true with no wobble or clicking sound. If the clutch has not been seated properly it will spin off. If this happens go to page 16 of the SM Board Output Test and turn on Drain Pump in Service Mode to pump out excess water.

8. Repeat steps 6&7 if the clutch has excessive noise or spins off.

I'm new to the board and not sure how to comment out my pics so 1st pic is of the Clutch Pulley exploded view (crude).

Next pics are of Clutch Pulley opend up before clean up.

I hope you have success post back with any questions. Take your time you can do this.....Rich
FAV6800AWW Clutch Maint. 2.jpg
Clutch Basket showing spring.JPG
Clutch Roller Bearings.JPG
3. FAV6800AW clutch.JPG
dh1200s  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2009 7:25:46 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

One last step before you clean up those pesky Clutch Pulley One-Way Roller Clutches/bearing.

Holding what I call the Spinner Shaft coupler first picture. Insert that coupler into the Clutch One-Way Roller bearing plate. Now while holding the Spinner Shaft Coupler with one hand as I show in the second pic with your other hand rotate the white bearing plate in the CW direction around the Spinner Shaft Coupler.

The One-Way Roller Clutch bearing plate should rotate freely in the CW direction this is the wash/agitate direction. Now rotate the One-Way Roller Clutch bearing plate in the CCW direction it should lock up solid.

Most times the One-Way Roller clutches will slip did it slip for you? This will cause the agitator shaft to move slightly causing slight tumbler rotation while the wash basket begins to spin up unbalancing the wash load causing big time wash tub swings and those pesky unbalance error codes.

The Control Board sees the TDS D.C. voltage swings out of design limit and shuts down the spin cycle. The Control Board programming will try several attempts to redistribute the wash load and when the magic number of wash load redistribution attempts has been reached the Control Board signals a dC or uC error code to the display. In your case I guess the FAV9800A signals a text error to the display i.e. “unbalance condition?”. Anyway I thought you might want a little more insight into just what is going on here. A poor Clutch design by Maytag. Mine failed at the 3.5yr mark of service and I was not about to trash a $1K machine. Sorry to say I feel number of them do make it to the curb on bulk trash pickup day as my most recent purchase demonstrates.

Here are the pic’s wish I knew how to comment out the pics without individual postings. Can anybody help me with that? I’m a rookie.

Dick
Spinner Shaft Coupler.JPG
One way Roller clutch Bearing plate.JPG
gowest4552  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:30:54 AM(UTC)
gowest4552

Back to dh1200s from gowest4552
Dick, I followed your tread and advice and instructions to the "T" and every thing worked perfectly - just as you said.
NO STRUTS NEEDED
I FIXED IT FOR EXACTLY FREE Thanks to you.
Let me run through this.
I copied all mine, and your, treads/correspondance & pasted in " MY DOCUMENTS". Then I down loaded the PDF to "MY DOCUMENTS" from 'Maytag' (clicked on where you said) in the thread.
I printed out the sheets of YOUR reply's.
I printed out page 46 and page 47 from Maytag PDF.
I read your advice over and over, then started to Disasemble the Washer at 8:00pm. Had it going on wash cycle at 10:05 pm. Plus showed my wife how 1'way rollers worked & goofed a bit in between.
I turned the COUPLER -- CW Then CCW and it would rotate both directions (bad).
Then I gave slipped out the coupler and gave a quick shot of WD40 on the dried out bearing. Slipped back in the coupling a quik twist and it only went in one direction (good).
Got a paper towel cleaned off all WD40 from bearing and surrounding stuff.
Worked some high quality Red Wheel Bearing grease into the bearing. Reinserted the coupler --twist, twist --still worked 1 direction (good).
Gave a lite coat grease to other slightly rusted surfaces. Reinstalled as per you instructions. ALL WORKS GREAT AS OF NOW.
COST = $0.00 I've had the red grease since 2-12-2003 (I datemark everything) and I already had the WD40.
What a great Christmas present.
Thanx from Texas, as they say, You Da Man
Kenneth:D

Originally Posted by: dh1200s Go to Quoted Post
One last step before you clean up those pesky Clutch Pulley One-Way Roller Clutches/bearing.

Holding what I call the Spinner Shaft coupler first picture. Insert that coupler into the Clutch One-Way Roller bearing plate. Now while holding the Spinner Shaft Coupler with one hand as I show in the second pic with your other hand rotate the white bearing plate in the CW direction around the Spinner Shaft Coupler.

The One-Way Roller Clutch bearing plate should rotate freely in the CW direction this is the wash/agitate direction. Now rotate the One-Way Roller Clutch bearing plate in the CCW direction it should lock up solid.

Most times the One-Way Roller clutches will slip did it slip for you? This will cause the agitator shaft to move slightly causing slight tumbler rotation while the wash basket begins to spin up unbalancing the wash load causing big time wash tub swings and those pesky unbalance error codes.

The Control Board sees the TDS analog voltage swings out of design limit and shuts down the spin cycle. The Control Board programming will try several attempts to redistribute the wash load and when the magic number of wash load redistribution attempts has been reached the Control Board signals a dC or uC error code to the display. In your case I guess the FAV9800A signals a text error to the display i.e. “unbalance condition?”. Anyway I thought you might want a little more insight into just what is going on here. A poor Clutch design by Maytag. Mine failed at the 3.5yr mark of service and I was not about to trash a $1K machine. Sorry to say I feel number of them do make it to the curb on bulk trash pickup day as my most recent purchase demonstrates.

Here are the pic’s wish I knew how to comment out the pics without individual postings. Can anybody help me with that? I’m a rookie.

Dick
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply