Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
alanp  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 3:13:20 AM(UTC)
alanp

Groups: Registered

My son was using the dryer, it poped the groung fault. We reset it and it poped right away. We moved the dryer to another plug and as soon as you plug it in the ground fault will pop. What is wrong?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 6:30:31 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: alanp Go to Quoted Post
My son was using the dryer, it poped the groung fault. We reset it and it poped right away. We moved the dryer to another plug and as soon as you plug it in the ground fault will pop. What is wrong?

Alan,

You have a shorted line wire(120 VAC) shorted to the chassis ground.
You need to start at the power cord, and work your way through the wiring harness, until you find the short.

With the power cord unplugged,

Remove the 2 screws that secure the console to the top(bottom corners of the console).
Lay the console on the dryer top and remove the screws that secure the back panel to the console.
To raise the top, remove the lint filter, and the 2 screws securing the filter housing to the top. with a putty knife or simillar tool, push in on the 2 spring clips, located in the seam between the top and front panel, approximately 3 inches in from the corners, and lift the top up.
Remove the lower access panel and disconnect the door hinge springs,and loosen the 2 screws holding the bottom of the front panel to the cabinet.
Remove the 1/4 in screws holding the front panel to the frame, approximately 3 in. down on the inside of the front flange. Pull out at the top of the front panel, disconnect the door switch wires, and raise up and out on the front panel to remove.
Dismount the belt from the motor and idler pulley(take a note of belt routing for reinstallation)and lift drum slightly up and out of cabinet.

You'll have access to all the wiring in the unit, and should be able to find the short from there.

:) :) :)
alanp  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 1:43:45 PM(UTC)
alanp

Groups: Registered

Thank you for your quick response. I did as you said but I did not know how to check 120 without power to the dryer. Any way I kept looking around and moving wires and I found that my igniter had come loose. The screw through the porcelain had backed out. I tightened it up and it is working. Must have been the problem.
Thank you for your reply and I am sure it did help me. I was lost.
Alan:)
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 1:50:50 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: alanp Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for your quick response. I did as you said but I did not know how to check 120 without power to the dryer. Any way I kept looking around and moving wires and I found that my igniter had come loose. The screw through the porcelain had backed out. I tightened it up and it is working. Must have been the problem.
Thank you for your reply and I am sure it did help me. I was lost.
Alan:)

Alan,
Glad you found it, I haven't seen that myself(loose igniter) but that could be the problem, if the igniter is touching the case when the voltage passes through it , a short could/would occur. Maybe I was just seeing the aftermath when repalcing shorted out igniters.

I expected you to find a visibly broken,shorted wire, Checking for 120 VAC would have been the next step.

Good Luck,

:D :D :D
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply