Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 8, 2021 9:46:53 AM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
We have a 15yr old kitchen aid combo oven/convect microwave wall unit, KEHC379JSS07. The unit had been working great working great.
Recently, while starting to bake in the lower oven, we opened the microwave door and shut it. Right at the moment the microwave door was shut, the oven power stopped suddenly. The circuit breaker was found tripped and would immediately trip again when reset, suggesting a short circuit. We called a repairman and he thought that there could be a short in the metal circuit box where the unit is hardwired, as he had seen that before. However since he did not have a dolly, was unable to confirm. I opened up the top control panel and did not see any obvious burnt connections. The terminal block connections looked tight with no sign of discoloration. I have been unable to purchase a new oven, as they are not in stock with no estimated date when I can buy a new one. Thus my interest in repair. My guess is that one of the oven components shorted out suddenly when the door closed. Is there a systematic way to evaluate the potential source of the short? For example, I was thinking of pulling the main fuse, if the breaker continued to trip, this would indicate a short upstream of the fuse, if not, then it would be something downstream. It seems like there could be many possible failed components that could short. Are any of these more common on this unit? For example, the voltage regulator cover material looked quite yellow, is it a wear component that commonly shorts out? How about the microwave door switches? They were activated just at the moment of failure, however seems unlikely they could short since the body is plastic. Any previous experience that could shed light on the potential cause greatly appreciated. Most of the components seem to be available for this unit. So It could be repaired, if the short was identified.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.