Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
burgerman  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2010 3:54:56 PM(UTC)
burgerman

Groups: Registered

Hello,
I got the refrigerator new and it has been in service for about 1-1/2yrs.
A few weeks ago, I opened the refrigerator to find that there was water all over the upper glass shelf inside. The ice maker still works, as does the in-door water dispenser. I opened the fridge door and dispensed water at the same time. I could hear the water running through the filter -- or it sounded like that anway - The water did fill up in the cup, then I pulled the cup away and a second or two later, water just poured out of the housing that contains the water filter. It was coming out toward the back side, where the inlet and outlet parts of the filter plug into the holes in the fridge. I thought maybe the filter was clogged, but it was only about 2 months old. So I went and plunked down about $50 for a new one from Sears. Installed it a couple weeks ago. It worked fine for about two weeks, but just now -- same situation with water pouring out of the housing whenever I dispense water through the door. I assume it's doing it also when the ice maker refills, so I've turned off the ice maker for now. Can you help me with this? -- Please! Thanks very much.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

burgerman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:34:20 AM(UTC)
burgerman

UPDATE: It appears to be leaking where the filter contacts the filter base. I can order the filter base and replace it, but I don't know if that will fix the problem. Has anyone encountered this issue? Thanks for any help you can give.
shuke  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:08:40 AM(UTC)
shuke

Did you get this resolved? I have had the exact same problem with my Kenmore side-by-side. New filter resolved issue for about a week or so. Thanks.
burgerman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2010 4:20:17 PM(UTC)
burgerman

See reply below.
burgerman  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2010 4:26:27 PM(UTC)
burgerman

Shuke,

I know this is long, but you asked, so...

Sorry to hear you are having the same problem. I think I've figured it out, and the answer is not good. Sears has been out three times so far and still not fixed.
I bought one of those "mini warranty" type things Sears offers. It's called a "Service Smart Protection Agreement." It was a one time fee, then any repairs to the fridge are covered up to $500 per occurrence for one year. First Sears guy that came out replaced the filter base, saying it was defective, and the filter itself, saying it was defective. That lasted about 1-1/2 months, then water pouring from the housing again.

I asked for a senior tech the next time. He came out, and after I described the problem, he immediately said he knew what it was. (My Kenmore is made by Frigidaire) He said around the end of 2009, Frigidaire either changed the way they manufacture the filters, or changed the supplier who manufactures them for Frigidaire, or both. They are made in Singapore now. Not sure where they were made before. (It's the Pure Source 2 filter, by the way) Ever since the change, they last a very short time, then they begin leaking. The tech said the water stops flowing through as easily, then the water pressure on the inlet side of the filter pushes the filter out just enough to break the seal at the o-rings and it leaks.

By the way -- All of this was told to me "off the record" by the tech. He said Frigidaire has not officially acknowledged this problem. But, they have recommended two fixes for it -- go figure. The first fix is the tech would order a (water) pressure reducer to install on the inlet side of the filter base.
The second fix is he would order me a "bypass filter" which looks just like the water filter, but it has no guts inside it, so the water just flows freely through it. (unfiltered, of course) Then I would have to go to Home Depot and buy an in-line water filter to install on the outside back of the refrigerator myself. I could easily do that, but I spent a lot of money on a top-of-the-line fridge and it's only 2 years old and I have to bastardize it?? No. I asked what are the chances of the pressure reducer working? He said he didn't know. No one has ever tried it. "Everyone else" (read: many others have had this problem) has gone with the bypass.

I had him order the pressure reducer, had to miss work again when he came out to install it. (If I didn't have the warranty, that little plastic part would have been $136. Labor $176.) He installed the part in about ten minutes, and it didn't fix it at all. Water still poured from the housing. So, he got on his laptop and ordered the bypass filter for me. It just arrived today, but I haven't put it in yet.

I even called Frigidaire to try and get some help, and as soon as I told them it was a Kenmore, made by Frigidaire, they wouldn't even talk to me and told me to call Sears.

I also called the internet filter company that I had ordered a filter from during this whole process. (much cheaper than buying from Sears) They were well aware of the problem with this filter, and were happy to refund my money after I shipped it back to them.

I am shocked that no else responded to this post. I'm sure there are others out there having this same issue.

I don't know if this refrigerator fits the definition of a "lemon", but the fact is, according to Sears, the refrigerator cannot be repaired. (Aside from the work around of the outside-mounted filter) I had one of those on my old refrigerator and the quick-connects spontaneously broke one day, causing water to start flowing freely in the kitchen. Thanks goodness I was home at the time and could turn it off. I just remodeled the kitchen and do not want to use an outside mounted filter again. I may go to the Sears store where I bought it and see what they can do for me.

Have you don't anything about your fridge yet?
shuke  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:07:06 PM(UTC)
shuke

I changed the filter housing about a 6 weeks ago. I know that wasn't that long ago, but I can't completely remember if that solved the problem, but I don't think it did, I think I had to put a new filter in.

So I guess I'm due for it to bust? Great.

Maybe I'll just keep sending the filters back if they don't last long. Do you remember who you were ordering from?

Thanks for the reply.
burgerman  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 16, 2010 4:32:23 AM(UTC)
burgerman

I don't think my first filter housing was even bad at all. I think it is all caused by the new (bad) design of the filters. Seems the filters will last about one to two months, then start leaking. They are way too expensive to only last that long.

I had been getting them from **********************.com, but the one I returned had not been used yet. It was one I had on hand, that I hadn't opened yet. I don't think they will take them back if you have already installed it.
I sent it back because I guess I'll just bypass the filter in the refrigerator
and go to the in-line filter on the back of refrigerator, as much as I hate having to do that. I asked the person at **********************.com if they have any of the older model PureSource 2 filters - the ones that apparently don't cause the leaking - but they said they don't. I think I'm going to go to the store where I bought the refrigerator and talk to the manager to see if anything can be done. If no luck with that, I'll probably get a good in-line filter from filters fast dot com. (they have really good prices and selection).
Good luck with yours.
cuch13  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 14, 2010 11:30:37 AM(UTC)
cuch13

I also have the exact same problem with my Kenmore Elite Refrigerator. The only thing that works is taking the filter out but I cannot use the door dispenser. Thank you for the info on bypass and filter on the back. I might try this fix. Who has time for this crap? My fridge was only 2 years old when this problem started!

I tried to purchase the extended service plan, but since I complained about the leaking, they won't give one to me now. I am so disappointed with Sears major appliances products. I've had nothing but problems with them. They even have my purchase and install date incorrect in the system by a whole year.
shuke  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:54:07 PM(UTC)
shuke

I think I'm going to try one of these bypasses. It looks like it would just depress the valves to allow water flow but obviously would not filter it.
https://www.********************...tID=891463&PPStack=1
shuke  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 15, 2010 7:03:43 PM(UTC)
shuke

Figured the website didn't show up. Just google "frigidaire water filter bypass" and click on the shopping results. I'm not going to buy this yet, as I am actually getting my most recent pure source filter replaced by the online supplier I got it from. Of course they said they had never heard of this problem before, and blamed it on my refrigerator being too cold and causing freezing in the filter leading to cracking.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply