Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Robinness  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 7:45:40 AM(UTC)
Robinness

Groups: Registered

I just replaced my filter about a month ago and now it is leaking where the water goes into the filter. My kenmore fridge is about six years old. Never had this problem before. Guess this is what happens when you buy crap from other countries. I plan to try another filter and if it happens again, I will be raising cane. I am hoping that I just got a bad filter.
Robinness  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 7:48:07 AM(UTC)
Robinness

By the way, I purchased my filter at sears...almost 50 dollars with tax!
shuke  
#13 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 7:59:07 PM(UTC)
shuke

I'm giving one more filter a try then going to switch to a bypass if I have problems. I don't care about having filtered water, I just want water getting to the icemaker.
seabaughs  
#14 Posted : Saturday, October 30, 2010 12:59:58 PM(UTC)
seabaughs

I've replaced my filter many times over the past few years. A substandard filter sounds right, but the problem is not the seals (o'rings) or any part of the refrigerator. The filter itself is what's leaking. The very back of the filter has a seam that is glued on. That's where your leak is. It's likely caused by the result of "Water Hammer". When your water shuts off to the fountain or the icemaker, the pressure hammers or spikes inside the lines and filter. The seam on the back edge of the filter it the weakest point. You can test this by covering one of the ports on the back with your finger and sucking on the other one. With water in the filter, you'll see bubbles enering the spot where it leaks. You can blow, but it's harder to do and you'll probably blow water past your finger. I'm going to the hardware store now to see if I can create a pressure snubber with a "T" fitting and a line with air trapped in it. If I can get the right size fittings, I should be able to trap air in a vertical line which will absorb the hammer effect. Air compresses, water does not. The snubber would have to be on the refrigerator side, after the valve on the back corner of the appliance.
epawelka  
#15 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 4:02:13 AM(UTC)
epawelka

I found this conversation because I just replaced my water filter on my refridgerator, as I've done with no problem many times, but this time water started spewing out in the front at the filter replacement site when I put the new one in! I tried putting the old one back (in case something was wrong with the new one), but that didn't help. I had to turn off the water to the refridgerator.

Then I found "JustAnswer" and they are telling me it is the "valves inside the housing that are worn or damaged. This is a fairly common problem. The housing is the part that the filter plugs into and this will need to be replaced." Does that sound right? I was thinking that sounded more like a slower leak than the "spewing" I experienced. Can anyone comment on this please?
PDSR  
#16 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 8:48:30 AM(UTC)
PDSR

I have a lemon as well.... leaks from ice maker. Thanks for your tips on whats wrong... I will fix it now and then put it in the garage as my beer fridge with out the icemaker. No more Sears appliances for us or our kids or our family..... by ignoring this they really messed up:mad:
seabaughs  
#17 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 6:44:35 PM(UTC)
seabaughs

What is leaking is the filter itself. I am absolutely certain of this ! The end of the filter assembly where it was
glued together is leaking at that seam.
It is not the “o” rings or the mount assembly in the fridge. I’ve put 8 or more filter cartridges in
mine. I’ve J.B. welded the seam over and
over and they still start leaking again.
I finally got smart and cut the lines behind the filter housing and
connected them together with a 5/16ths union.
This completely bypasses the filter assembly. Then I put a standard inline filter on the ¼ inch
line behind the refrigerator. As you
know, the cartridge for your refrigerator is about $50. A standard in-line filter is $17. I spent countless hours trying to figure out
where the leak was coming from and then countless hours trying to get it to stop
leaking. I even J.B welded a new,
non-leaking cartridge and it started to leak too. If you doubt me, remove your cartridge (with
water still in it. Place a small water
balloon over one of the nipples on the back.
Blow up a second balloon and place it over the other nipple. Lay it on its side and in less than a minute
you’ll see water drops forming. Cut that piece of cr@p out and put a standard
filter behind the refrigerator… to do anything else is futile !

LetMikeyDoIt  
#18 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2011 9:10:07 AM(UTC)
LetMikeyDoIt

Originally Posted by: seabaughs Go to Quoted Post

What is leaking is the filter itself. I am absolutely certain of this ! The end of the filter assembly where it was
It is not the “o” rings or the mount assembly in the fridge. I’ve put 8 or more filter cartridges in
This completely bypasses the filter assembly. Then I put a standard inline filter on the ¼ inch
know, the cartridge for your refrigerator is about $50. A standard in-line filter is $17. I spent countless hours trying to figure out
where the leak was coming from and then countless hours trying to get it to stop
non-leaking cartridge and it started to leak too. If you doubt me, remove your cartridge (with
Blow up a second balloon and place it over the other nipple. Lay it on its side and in less than a minute

THANKS For Your Post! I have the same problem and was thinking I would try a new filter, but they are not cheap :eek: (for me $50 bucks is a lot of money!) so I checked online before buying one. I wasn't sure I would find anything about my specific water leaking into the fridge problem, but it seems a LOT of people have the same problem ! Thanks again your reply was very helpful.
DitzyDame  
#19 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 2:56:20 PM(UTC)
DitzyDame

I have the EXACT same problem... but what I can't figure out is why it's leaking water when the hoses were disconnected from the water source a year ago! Where is the water coming from? These appliances are so expensive and I can't just go out and buy another one. Unfortunately... I'm a girl who doesn't know anything about appliance repair (wish I did) so I don't know how to remove filters or disconnect hoses or whatever. I hate that I can't use the icemaker, but I gladly gave that up in hopes of ending the water leak. I just wish I didn't have to clean out water every couple days because of this stupid leak!!!
DitzyDame  
#20 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 3:00:02 PM(UTC)
DitzyDame

HOW DO YOU CUT THE FILTER OUT??????

Originally Posted by: seabaughs Go to Quoted Post

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply