Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
josh39026  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2015 6:25:06 PM(UTC)
josh39026

Groups: Registered

idk how old this freezer is as I got it from a friend as it just quit working and I figured I can try and fix it if not then to the dump it goes, as I am a big time DIY and I hate taking things to ppl, but i am a noobie at appliance so i been reading online as much as i can but i havnt found much of an answer other than general basic stuff so i need help in trying to figure out if my motor is bad which im thinking its not because i don't hear a clicking in the back which brings me to why im thinking its my starter relay but im having trouble trying to understand how to test it with a multimeter as the multimeter that i have doesn't have a continuity tester on it however im gonna be getting one so i just need help in trying to figure out how to test the starter relay and the overload....which i don't know if that would affect the freezer from starting.
when the freezer is plugged in i see that the little power light is on but other than that nothing...it doesn't get cold nor do i hear any clicking or trying to start.

any help and input is much appreciated again im still learning all this and how to use a multimeter
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2015 2:22:03 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
A model number may help others help you.
Find your model number - AppliancePartsPros.com

Also is it a chest freezer or an upright unit.

The first thing to check would be the control thermostat.
It's contacts should be closed.

Below is my usual blurb on meter usage which may be helpful to you.

If you do not own a meter, I would suggest you purchase a one. You can get a decent digital multimeter for under $20.00. You do not need fancy though it is nice if the leads are a couple feet long.
If it saves ordering one unnecessary part it has paid for itself and you end up owning a useful tool.
Most places will not let you return electrical parts so if you order it, you own it.
A couple things to watch when measuring ohms and continuity
1. Always remove power from the machine otherwise you could blow your meter.
2. Always disconnect at least one side of any device you are checking. This eliminates the possibility of measuring an alternate/parallel circuit path.
3. When checking for closed contacts and continuity use the lowest scale (Usually 200 ohms). Then try higher scales. This scale is 0 to 200 ohms so if the device you are measuring is 300 ohms this scale would show an open circuit which it is not, you are just measuring outside the scale's dynamic range.
4. When you start always short the meter leads together. This will tell you that the meter is working and if there is any 0 offset.

There is a good STICKY at the start of this forum about it's use.

Another way to check the thermostat is to unplug the unit and the two wires that go to the thermostat's contacts. Then short those wires together, making sure that they cannot short to anything else. Then plug the unit in to see if the compressor starts up.

Also note that there are two types of compressor start devices.
One is a standard relay, the other is a solid state device. The solid state unit cannot be checked easily so usually it is a replace to check it, if the compressor windings check out OK.

Also there is an over heat (clixon) on most compressors.

Below is a good link with general repair info.
How To Fix a Refrigerator - Appliance Repair Guide - ACME HOW TO.com
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
josh39026  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 5:59:55 PM(UTC)
josh39026

Groups: Registered

I don't know the model number as there is non on the chest deep freezer whoever had it before my friend who gave it to me had painted over it or it was torn off or feel off but I LOOKED EVERYWHERE and even looked on the internet for possibilities of where it could be, but nothing.
ive read the stickys as well.

ive reviewed the links multiple of times I believe I am getting a closed circuit from the compressor relay, I havnt been able to check the compressor itself as I am unsure but I am gonna do more research into checking the compressor properly. and when you say checking continuity you mean checking as well if it is a open circuit vs closed circuit?

I don't know how to short the wire to check the thermostate if you can elaborate more on it that would be great as well as I will research some more on the internet.

I believe I might have a solid state compressor relay
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2015 1:15:11 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"] when you say checking continuity you mean checking as well if it is a open circuit vs closed circuit[/COLOR]?
Yes.
Also checking if a compressor winding is ground out ( shorted to the case).
See the link I included.

The thermostat should have two wires going to it.
If the ends plain connectors just pull them off the thermostat and tape them together (short them). Make sure that they cannot short to anything else. Then plug the unit in and see if the compressor starts.

If the connectors are covered is plastic then you could use a paper clip to short the two thermostat connectors together.

Just make sure that the unit is unplugged when working on it.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply