Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rkiburis1  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 6:41:16 AM(UTC)
rkiburis1

Groups: Registered

Unit is in a garage. Fresh food side started freezing (28 degrees), damper cycles when unit is shut off and restarted, freezer works fine. Replaced damper with a new control kit, PN 5304482075. With new control kit, the freezer and fresh food side stay at 38 degrees, compressor hardly runs at all, temps controls do not seem to have any effect. Re-installed old control box and set the temp per advice in this column (warmer freezer setting/colder fresh food setting). Fresh food side is now 32 degrees, freezer is 10 degrees. What's up with the new controll box?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:44:40 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Turn the cold control all the way up to the coldest setting, then check freezer temperature after a few hours, then post.
rkiburis1  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:46:13 AM(UTC)
rkiburis1

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Turn the cold control all the way up to the coldest setting, then check freezer temperature after a few hours, then post.

Per my post, the refridge currently has the old control box back in. If you are talking about the new box, I will have to re-install.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:13:37 PM(UTC)
richappy

Adjust the refrigerator control to the coldest position, then after a period of time, measure the freezer temperature.This control should have an off position.
rkiburis1  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:07:32 AM(UTC)
rkiburis1

Adjust the refrigerator control to the coldest position, then after a period of time, measure the freezer temperature.This control should have an off position.

Re-installed new control box last night. I double checked all connections and the only thing I noticed was the connector on the damper motor might not have been picking up all three contacts. The damper cycled when the freezer control was turned off and on. The unit was fired up and it appeared to run fine, however this morning the temps were a little high (freezer 12 degrees/fridge 39). I set the controls to the factory settings and will monitor temps and post results.
rkiburis1  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:01:16 AM(UTC)
rkiburis1

Originally Posted by: rkiburis1 Go to Quoted Post
Re-installed new control box last night. I double checked all connections and the only thing I noticed was the connector on the damper motor might not have been picking up all three contacts. The damper cycled when the freezer control was turned off and on. The unit was fired up and it appeared to run fine, however this morning the temps were a little high (freezer 12 degrees/fridge 39). I set the controls to the factory settings and will monitor temps and post results.

Setting the controls colder made the freezer warmer! If I didn't know better, I'd say the control harness is reversed. The color codes of the wires on the original box controls are opposite in the new box. The cold control is installed on the proper side of the control panel (left side of panel). The control for the fridge (right side of panel) has it's cap tube going to the damper housing, but the wire colors are opposite of the original control box!
Should we be thinking about a return?
richappy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:48:32 AM(UTC)
richappy

If the connector for the control box is polled so you can only plug it in one way, and the wire colors are not the same on both sides, it seems there is a problem with it.
If the compressor and fans are running constantly and the freezer temperature is only 12 degrees, you have refigeration problems that gauges and amprobe would confirm.
It's also possable the condensing fan motor in the back is not running, just check.
rkiburis1  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:56:15 AM(UTC)
rkiburis1

If the connector for the control box is polled so you can only plug it in one way, and the wire colors are not the same on both sides, it seems there is a problem with it.
If the compressor and fans are running constantly and the freezer temperature is only 12 degrees, you have refigeration problems that gauges and amprobe would confirm.
It's also possable the condensing fan motor in the back is not running, just check.

Fan is running, but compressor doesn't kick on when cold control is rotated to a higher setting. Only comes on when control is set to a less cold (1 or 2) setting. Control acts like it's backwards.
rkiburis1  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:56:35 AM(UTC)
rkiburis1

Originally Posted by: rkiburis1 Go to Quoted Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fan is running, but compressor doesn't kick on when cold control is rotated to a higher setting. Only comes on when control is set to a less cold (1 or 2) setting. Control acts like it's backwards.

Confirmed that compressor comes on when the freezer control is rotated to a warmer setting, almost to "0". Compressor shuts off when control is rotated to a colder setting.
richappy  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:43:31 AM(UTC)
richappy

Well that sure confirms a mis-wired control.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply