Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<3839404142>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JBags  
#391 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2009 5:48:58 PM(UTC)
JBags

Groups: Registered

Hello, I have a Jenn-Air JFC2087 HRS (name plate says made by Maytag) that is about five years old. This is a french-door, freezer on the bottom model.

My power went out for a while last night, and now the refrigerator portion of the unit is not working, but the freezer is actually very cold...much colder than it was. (The power outage might have been a coincidence, so let's not read that much into it.)

There *is* frost on the back interior wall of the freezer, but I have not yet removed the back panel. I suspect, therefore, after reading the sticky post that the problem might be the defrost system. After getting the parts diagram, I do not see anything that says defrost timer, thermostat, or heater. The thing that looks as if it might be the defrost heater is called "Heater, Evaporator." Could that be the same part? I couldn't find anything that resembles the timer or the thermostat, but I might be looking in the wrong place.

Any help would be appreciated. Let's say I don't want to test the continuity of these parts, and just replace them all...is that advisable? Thinking now about doing a manual, old fashioned defrost and then restart anyway.

Thanks!!!
woodchuckie  
#392 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:03:13 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

Part 32 is the defrost thermostat although it's not on the diagram it is in the parts list. It clips to the evaporator. Part 15 is the defrost heater. All this is diagram 5.

You don't have a defrost timer. That function is handled by the electronic control. Part 5 on diagram 3. Replacement parts for JENN-AIR JFC2087HRS | AppliancePartsPros.com
Gene  
#393 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:09:36 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The problem can be a faulty defrost system as well as a faulty damper control. Most likely the damper control because one night is not enough for defrost problem to show up. You can find the troubleshooting instructions in the Service manual.

There is no defrost timer in your refrigerator. All functions are operated by the electronic controls.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for JENN-AIR JFC2087HRS | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
JBags  
#394 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:59:31 PM(UTC)
JBags

Thanks Woodchuckie and Gene! Using the service manual...which I am very very thankful to have...I did a "Defrost Thermostat and Defrost Circuit" service test using the control panel. It showed that the defrost thermostat is shorted (closed). Does this mean that just the thermostat is bad, or that the heater could also be bad as well?

Would you replace both to be on the safe side? It looks as if all other test were good, including the damper test. The damper, at the top of the refrigerator, opens and closes as it should.

Thanks again...I really appreciate it...I need a giant repair bill like I need a hole in the head right now.
Gene  
#395 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2009 11:01:47 PM(UTC)
Gene

The defrost thermostat should be closed when it's cold. This is normal. Did you observe the defrost heat at this time?

Gene.
An Dang  
#396 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2009 9:15:01 AM(UTC)
An Dang

hi Gene
sorry for reply be later I realy check resistances defrost heater It be good 240K, and I open the temp control assy in refrig and see a damper door not realy open all, and look on the housing Assy auto I try turn the screw but I did not see the damper door open more, Can you help me how do i know the adaptive defrost control broken.
thank your times with me
A. Dang

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
There is no any timers because the defrost cycle controls by the adaptive defrost control which is most likely the culprit.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for MAYTAG MSD2756GEW | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
Gene  
#397 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2009 1:42:13 PM(UTC)
Gene

The defrost heater resistance of 240K is way too much. It suppose to be around 20-40 Ohms. If you did the test right then the heater is bad.

You can use the Service manual for more troubleshooting.

Gene.
EamonAidanAlexa  
#398 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:03:20 AM(UTC)
EamonAidanAlexa

Gene,

Thanks for the help thus far. To add a new twist, about a week ago we noticed the freezer was much colder than we needed it to be. Ice cream frozen solid, ice not staying in cubes but freezing in chunks/blocks. We lowered the setting but saw no change. This week the refrigerator is cool but not cold. Butter is solid but soft, liquids are just a bit above room temperature.

Does that/Would that change your advice in any way?
djalexem  
#399 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:31:24 AM(UTC)
djalexem

I have a Kenmore Refrigerator serial number LA30618443, model number 253.73072300 I having a problem with the refrigerator not getting cold. Air is coming up to refrigerator section but not cold enough. The freezer is working great. I have never dealt with refrigerator problems but am a savvy handyman. Is there an idiots guide to refrigerator troubleshooting? Thanks a bunch......
Gene  
#400 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:08:31 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: EamonAidanAlexa Go to Quoted Post
Gene,

Thanks for the help thus far. To add a new twist, about a week ago we noticed the freezer was much colder than we needed it to be. Ice cream frozen solid, ice not staying in cubes but freezing in chunks/blocks. We lowered the setting but saw no change. This week the refrigerator is cool but not cold. Butter is solid but soft, liquids are just a bit above room temperature.

Does that/Would that change your advice in any way?

Answered here: http://forum.appliancepartspros...ost-timer-locations.html

Gene.