Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<3940414243>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
woodchuckie  
#401 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:14:42 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

Originally Posted by: djalexem Go to Quoted Post
I have a Kenmore Refrigerator serial number LA30618443, model number 253.73072300 I having a problem with the refrigerator not getting cold. Air is coming up to refrigerator section but not cold enough. The freezer is working great. I have never dealt with refrigerator problems but am a savvy handyman. Is there an idiots guide to refrigerator troubleshooting? Thanks a bunch......

The fridge gets its cold air from the freezer through a vent between the freezer and fridge.The fan in the freezer blows air through it. There is a flap you adjust with the fridge temp. control. Make sure it's open.
If the evaporator coils behind the back panel of the freezer are icing up because of auto defrost failure that will stop the circulation of cold air and eventually affect the freezer too.

check defrost timer, defrost heater, defrost thermostat

Refrigerator Repair Guide: How To Fix a Refrigerator - ACME HOW TO.com

The timer is part 23 on this diagram. KENMORE | Model #25373072300 | REFRIGERATOR | SHELVES | SearsPartsDirect.com
Gene  
#402 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:15:09 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have a Kenmore Refrigerator serial number LA30618443, model number 253.73072300 I having a problem with the refrigerator not getting cold. Air is coming up to refrigerator section but not cold enough. The freezer is working great. I have never dealt with refrigerator problems but am a savvy handyman. Is there an idiots guide to refrigerator troubleshooting? Thanks a bunch......

The first thing I would do is remove the cover on the back of the refrigerator and make sure the condenser is clean and the fan next to the compressor is running. Check the rear panel in the freezer for a snow build up. Post the results.

Gene.
djalexem  
#403 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:44:31 PM(UTC)
djalexem

Groups: Registered

Took off cover in freezer, a lot of frost built up. Fan is working fine, Im manually defrosting the fridge but why is frost building up?
rando  
#404 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:57:37 PM(UTC)
rando

gene,

my freezer never goes into defrost cycle but i cannot isolate the defrost timer since everything is controlled by the mother board. is there any way to manually put it in defrost cycle so i can verify that it is the mother board? the is a ge GSS22JFPHWW fridge.

thanks,

randothemando
djalexem  
#405 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 3:30:53 PM(UTC)
djalexem

How many fans in a refrigerator? By reading this forum I am beginning to understand the basics of a refrigerator. Im assuming the condenser is located at the bottom of the fridge?
Gene  
#406 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:36:03 PM(UTC)
Gene

...why is frost building up?...

The article on the first page of this thread will explain in detail how the defrost system works.

There are two fans in most refrigerators: evaporator fan in freezer and condenser fan on the back.

The condenser coil is located on the back of refrigerator.

Gene.
Gene  
#407 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:51:57 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: rando Go to Quoted Post
gene,

my freezer never goes into defrost cycle but i cannot isolate the defrost timer since everything is controlled by the mother board. is there any way to manually put it in defrost cycle so i can verify that it is the mother board? the is a ge GSS22JFPHWW fridge.

thanks,

randothemando

This question answered here: http://forum.appliancepartspros...ectrical-schematics.html

Gene.
djalexem  
#408 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:08:36 PM(UTC)
djalexem

Ok so I manually defrosted the freezer coils and the freezer itself. Refrigerator is getting cold now. If I wanted to change all parts mentioned earlier(timer, thermostat, heater) to be on the safe side, what would this set me back?
woodchuckie  
#409 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:40:57 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

Here's your parts.

It's very doubtful that all three are bad, so for every one you test that may be money you can save.
Refrigerator Repair Guide: How To Fix a Refrigerator - ACME HOW TO.com
mamerchant  
#410 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 10:29:15 AM(UTC)
mamerchant

Hi Gene,

I have a Maytag MSD2456GEQ side-by-side. For the last few months I have had problems with the fresh food side, pretty much ever since I had the maytag recall done in March. The freezer was working fine but there was no air coming into refrigerator section. Everytime I would defrost the freezer, the refrigerator side would work for a few days, then the air would stop flowing through again. This time I opened up the back panel of the freezer and found the coils were frosted up. From this thread it looks like most likely it is the defrost system. I have researching this great website and learned alot. I have located the defrost timer and heater on the diagrams, but cannot find the location of defrost thermostat. There is a thermostat in the ice maker, but that cant be the same as the defrost thermostat? right?

please help!

mo