Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
johnkelner  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 2:13:48 PM(UTC)
johnkelner

Groups: Registered

Pressing the open "button" (more like square panel), does not open the door. It disengages partially and I can pull the door open while holding the 'button'. The latches look and feel fine on the door, but the holes they go into do not. The bottom one looks like there is a part behind it which seems ok, but the top is 'empty'. The bottom hole may have the top part fallen in there too. I can't really tell. Do I need the switch kit or latch board or both or neither to fix this? How do I get into the microwave once I take it out of the cabinetl. I can do that, I installed it and the trim kit. But how do I open the microwave box to get to this part? Thanks.

John Kelner
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

TechnicianBrian  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 4:02:39 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Groups: Senior Expert

Try removing the cabinet and then take the look at the button and how it contacts the door release lever. Sometimes a tab will break on the button and will wedge itself between the button and the release putting enough space in between the two and create your problem. If that is not it, then the switch holder may need a little adjusting, or may be broken. Just take a look at it and see what you find. The mechanism is very simple so you may be able to effect a repair without to much work.
johnkelner  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 6:02:13 PM(UTC)
johnkelner

That makes good sense and will probably tell me what parts, if any, I need. I guess I was trying to avoid taking the box out of the wall. This 'do it yourself' stuff is fine until you have to 'do it yourself'. I may not get to it for a few days, but wanted to say thank you for the reply.

John
TechnicianBrian  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 6:10:14 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Glad I could help.
johnkelner  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:47:29 AM(UTC)
johnkelner

Ah ha... security torx screws huh??? Ok, I got it apart. All switches and even the button to lift the door tabs appears to be working fine. I can't figure out what pushes the door open. Is it part of the switch bracket mechanism (called the latch board on your site - AP3178794)?? Doesn't look like the switches push the door open?? I tilted the box to see if there were any 'parts' broken and lying on the bottom and didn't find anything. thanks for the continued assistance.

John
johnkelner  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:01:49 PM(UTC)
johnkelner

Brian...

It is the door open button which presses against the piece which pushes the door levers up which ultimately pushes the door open - if it pushes them up high enough. There is apparently a piece of plastic broken between the door open button and the opening swinging arm inside. I can't tell by feel if it's either one, but in either case, gluing something between the two to take up the slack should work. Activating the inside swing piece makes the door work fine. Pushing the button on the outside does not push the swing piece far enough in. I am probably going to go with cardboard and gorilla glue unless you recommend something else.

Thanks.

John
johnkelner  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:45:20 PM(UTC)
johnkelner

Ok, so I decided to take apart the front panel which includes the door button and back flippy mechanism. It was actually the DOOR BUTTON which was not pushing in fully. Why? There are four 'guide' plastic pieces (two on top and two on bottom) which align the switch so that the center three pieces push the swingie thing in the right place. One of the four broke off, fell into the button mechanism and was preventing the button from going all the way in. A bit of shaking and turning caused it to fall out and voila. all worked well. But then I had to put it back together. Part of that DIY thing. And it works well. I am done. Thanks for the advice.

John
TechnicianBrian  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:23:46 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

I have seen it happen many times myself and figured it would be something simple. Glad it worked out for you.
GrayWorker  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 6:00:39 PM(UTC)
GrayWorker

Thanks for posting the above solution. We had exactly the same problem. Able to make the button work by rotating the microwave 180 degrees so that it was resting on its top. The button worked OK in that position. Held the button in while rotating the microwave back to its normal orientation. Same exact model and you could hear the broken piece rattling around. The information you guys posted really saved me a lot of time!