Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<1819202122>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
meash20  
#191 Posted : Sunday, June 20, 2010 4:15:17 PM(UTC)
meash20

Groups: Registered

Wow, I think my problem is the exact same 2 capacitors gonna try to replace them myself too!
deviousfred  
#192 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 12:29:29 PM(UTC)
deviousfred

Hello all. I stumbled upon this thread as my GE refrigerator woke me up last night with a clicking noise, almost like a clock. I unplugged it and went back to bed figuring I would deal with it when I was fully awake later in the morning. I ran a google search which brought me here. I was ready to order the motherboard but then read on these last two pages the capacitors seem to be culprits. I spotted the two bad capacitors and got some new ones at Radio Shack. I replaced them and the refrigerator fired right up again. Ran for about <1min and then stopped and I spotted one of the capacitors had bulged up again, then I unplugged it. Almost instantaneously, the bulged capacitor exploded and spewed some sort of liquid. At this point I have called a repairman.

I would like to make a note; I removed the bottom sheetmetal cover and used my shop vac to clean out what I believe is a blower motor encased in a steel cage and noticed some sort of liquid under what I think is the compressor? I vacuumed it up as well. I don't know whether this liquid is water coming from inside the fridge as the ice melts or if it the freon from the cooling system. Either way, the repair man is on his way. Just figured I would share my experience and see if anyone has any other suggestions for me.

I held off on ordering the motherboard because I didn't want to get a new motherboard in and have the capacitors blow as soon as I plugged the fridge in and be out about $150. Could my problem be coming from a shorted out blower motor or compressor pump?

I called my friend who I went to college with who majored in electrical engineering to find out more about capacitors and their functions and what could cause them to go back so quickly. He said it could either be a number of things, too much voltage in or too much draw in which either case would cause them to exceed their thermal capabilities and fail. So it could be a voltage regulator in/on the board allowing too much voltage through or one of the devices in/on the refrigerator drawing too much. Not knowing such, I decided to leave it to the pros.

Thanks,
Fred
MtlCanadien  
#193 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 5:05:02 PM(UTC)
MtlCanadien

Just to update you guys with where we stand re: complaints to GE. I did phone GE customer service in US but was asked to contact customer service in Canada which is handled out of Moncton. The rep, after being told of the frequency of this repair, placed me on hold and returned with "There isn't any recall, or replacement program available on the part" but I was told that due to the frequency of the malfunction, the company did decrease the price so that it is not very expensive to replace".

Of course, speechless, I proceeded to write my letter and I await a reply.
rbminor67  
#194 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:45:53 AM(UTC)
rbminor67

Like many others, I began hearing a clicking noise coming from the back of my GE Refrigerator. The frequency of the clicking became more and more frequent (2 or 3 times per day for up to 30 minutes each time.)

I removed the back panels and noticed the clicking noise was coming from a control board. I also noticed that the condenser fan was not turning at all. Somehow the refrigerator continued to cool and the ice maker continued to work, but I suspected things would soon fail as the frequency of the clicking was increasing each day. Based on the forums I reviewed, seems the board was bad or going bad, so I scheduled a GE service appointment.

GE repair tech came and confirmed that the control board needed to be replaced. The unit was not under warranty. He replaced the current board (P/N WR55X10416) with a new board (P/N WR55X10942.) The total cost for the repair was $278.64. No more clicking noise and fridge seems to be working great. Board is warranted for 5 years.

GE Refrigerator Model No. PDS22MISAWW
rbminor67 attached the following image(s):
WR55X10942 Install-1.jpg
WR55X10942 Install-2.jpg
Ratpak1  
#195 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2010 12:59:54 PM(UTC)
Ratpak1

Any help appreciated, Coils and Fan are clean
GE model #GSS25IFRF WW
CIRCUIT BOARD Gea#200D485G013
C/B WKKT MODEL#0158-00-04
THANK YOU:eek:
rbminor67  
#196 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:44:57 PM(UTC)
rbminor67

What is the "Service No." on the circuit board? This should be just below the GEA# you already provided.

Originally Posted by: Ratpak1 Go to Quoted Post
GE model #GSS25IFRF WW
rbminor67  
#197 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:07:10 PM(UTC)
rbminor67

The Service No. on your circuit board should be WR55X10473. Verify this. If so, you can purchase and replace this board with P/N WR55X10942 at a cost of roughly $135 - $150 +S/H, if you do the repair yourself. Part is available on this website as Part Number: AP4436216.

FYI - if you call GE, it will run you approx. $275 for the repair, but of course they handle everything.

GE model #GSS25IFRF WW
Ratpak1  
#198 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:01:38 PM(UTC)
Ratpak1

No Service number found
only # under GEA part # is 0905DG
Thanks!
Gene  
#199 Posted : Friday, July 16, 2010 8:01:04 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
No Service number found
only # under GEA part # is 0905DG
Thanks!

According to the model number you posted, the main control board Part number: AP4436216
MtlCanadien  
#200 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:31:46 PM(UTC)
MtlCanadien

Posted a few weeks back re: paying $330~ for repair; complained to GE canada and just received a cheque for $175.

If you would like a copy of the letter I mailed them, please PM me and I'll send it off.

Received a phone call explaining that they would meet me halfway.

Better than nothing..