Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dcan  
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 26, 2009 9:59:24 AM(UTC)
dcan

Groups: Registered

I have had quarters getting stuck in the pump in a GE profile clothes washer. I would think that GE would redisgn the unit to add an X of plastic so that coins cannot ener the pump. I added a washer to the front of the puinp that will not allow quaters to enter. I'll let you know how it goes. Draining and cleaning every time is a pain and all due to a lousy design.
Originally Posted by: masterfool Go to Quoted Post
We had this problem for months. I took the bottom front panel off and removed the drain plug/trap. WOW! I found pens, change, tools, screws, guitar picks, hair, sand...no wonder it wouldn't drain! I cleaned all that out and now the washer is working fine. My guess is the pump that was getting hot had some manner of debris inside it? I wish GE would publish this as a maintenance issue (or did they already?). Anyway, my wife is happy again :)
nclewine  
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 27, 2009 6:14:08 AM(UTC)
nclewine

Our GE front-loader just started acting up over Christmas. Clothes were still wet at the end of the wash cycle, but until then it worked fine. I was just about to call the repair person (UGH! $$$$) and I searched this site.

I, too, cleaned out the drain trap (I never knew this existed) and it STUNK TO HIGH HEAVENS! There were coins, stones, can tops, and a doggy poo bag clogging it up. No wonder it gave up rinsing and draining at the end of the cycle.

I'm now running a quick load to see if this fixed the problem. I have faith it will. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!
MelC  
#13 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2009 6:36:34 PM(UTC)
MelC

Thank you, everyone who posted! What a ridiculously easy fix to unclog the drain. Not only did I do it myself (very proud of myself), I saved the repair fee ($150 for him to even show up) and I'm $10 richer. My ex can eat his hat for telling me I would never be able to do it myself. The $10 was his and I'm keeping it! lol

Thanks again!

Mel
fixitmama  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:42:22 AM(UTC)
fixitmama

THANK YOU!!! All who posted, this helped me to fix my washer!

I have a GE frontloader - purchased in 2008 - nothing but problems -

To answer a few questions that are here -
The drain plug is on the front of this washer - you can see it without removing anything - there is a small 5"x3" panel on the front bottom that you pull out and then the plug twists free - have a large pan ready and unsrew slowly - water will come gushing out - have towels at the ready!

There are 2 screws on the bottom of the larger bottom front panel - remove these and you can see inside

you will see the drain plug housing is connected to the water pump and there are two hoses connected to the housing and the pump one coming from the washer to the drain plug and one going from the pump to your drain.

Remove the hoses carefully - I used plyers to pinch the clamps together.

the hardest part of this was removing the drain plug housing and pump - because it seems like you should be able to just remove the pump - but you can not!!
- see attachment to this post for a picture

There are two screws holding in the housing and pump - remove them and the whole thing pulls clear.

Once out you can make sure there is not more coins or crap in the thing. Three screws hold the housing to the pump - mark these with a sharpie before you remove them - because once it is off there are multiple ways to re attach it.

Once free of the drain plug housing I spun the pump a few times and put it all back together -

Tried it out by put a few items in on rinse and spin- very few items - this washer determines water output by weight of load. At first the pump made a buzzing sound- but by the end of the cycle it was quiet as ever.

Good luck!:)
fixitmama attached the following image(s):
pump.jpg
mr_mechanic_I_wish  
#15 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2010 6:54:12 PM(UTC)
mr_mechanic_I_wish

re GE washer 6240 stopping in mid cycle

same problem. I had almost resigned myself to getting a new machine (I don't know how old it is - it was in the house when we moved in a year ago.) I found this site and the fix seems to have worked - two washes in and counting.

I love this aspect of the internet! Thanks to all posters of helpful advice.
kovette90@msn.com  
#16 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2010 7:19:08 PM(UTC)
kovette90@msn.com

:) Thank's , All tips were a hit .I save a buck .
mcgannclan  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:04:15 AM(UTC)
mcgannclan

Thanks to all for the input... another service call avoided. Lots fished out of the filter: lint, coins, legos, jewelry and even a clothes pin.

But how do these items make it to the pump filter? Seems like a closed system to me.
Jrip  
#18 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2010 6:31:05 PM(UTC)
Jrip

Thanks to the site I was able to get my washer working again. Like many of the above posters have reported, my washer would stop at what seemed like randow moments with the start/stop light flashing. Hitting the start/stop button would allow the cycle to resume but always I would end up with tons of suds and very wet clothing left in the basin once the wash was "done".

I took the advice of opening the front panel and cleaning the filter as a first step. Since I just moved into this house I wasn't certain the last time it was cleaned out and did it ever show.

My findings in the filter include:
1x pen, in several pieces
4x loonies (canadian dollars)
1x dogtag necklace
1x handful of what looked like pieces of demin
?x pieces of square plastic

Overall the filter was absolutely clogged and it looks like the washer would have timed-out or overheated itself trying to suck water through all that stuff.

Long story short, cleaning the filter works.

THanks,
Jim
LadyLeatherneck84  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 12:14:19 PM(UTC)
LadyLeatherneck84

I also wanted to say thank you for this information. I had washed a pillow which inadvertently ended up with a hole and some of the stuffing went into the machine. I had cleared all the stuffing out of the door and then afterwards when I tried to run a load of wash got the error message that the machine had a drain problem. The machine is only like 4 months old. I found your advice and decided to try this method first before calling a repair person. Besides the pillow stuffing in the filter I also found some coins and a thick headband of my daughter's. My machine is now working again and it didn't cost me a penny to fix. I never would have thought that there was a service access panel in the front. Thank you so much.
proudmom03  
#20 Posted : Friday, December 3, 2010 6:21:58 PM(UTC)
proudmom03

I am having the same problem my GE washer wont drain. We cleaned out the drain and had a lot of stuff in it, thought it solved the problem. We put everything together and the drain thing is hot like you said. I have call customer service and I need a repair man. It is so close to the holidays and really cant afford it. Please can you give me more suggestions?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply