Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bobster99  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2010 5:48:41 AM(UTC)
bobster99

Groups: Registered

My GE Side by Side has been giving me some issues lately. The unit would work just fine then suddenly the refrigerator would stop cooling. When I would figure this out I would check things out and just as suddenly as it quit it would start up again and be fine. I just assumed that I must have left the door open and all would be well.

Today was different. The unit was working fine last night and this morning I got up to find all of my stuff was defrosted and the refrigerator unit was barely cool. I pulled the unit from the wall and found out that the condenser fan was working but the compressor was not. Others on this forum have mentioned that a relay was clicking on their unit when this happened but mine is not.

The compressor is at room temperature so it has not been running for a while. I assume the problem is the start relay but I do not have any schematics or even a trouble tree to know what to look at next. I did inspect the mother board and there is not any evidence of a burned component there.

What do I try next and can someone out there point me to a schematic so at least I can trace the wiring and find a solution

Thanks
Bob
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

bobster99  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:10:45 AM(UTC)
bobster99

Just found the capacitor and according to my multi meter the unit is fine... rated at 15uF and tested at 15.47 uF. Removed cover off Compressor, both units inside have continuty but there is not any power getting to them.

Now what? Thermostat or Motherboard? Motherboad looks fine and the only fuse on the board checks out ok.
bobster99  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2010 7:20:57 AM(UTC)
bobster99

Ok, I pulled the mother board... everything looked fine, no cold solder joints or burns anywhere. Reinstalled mother board and the unit started up.

Now I am worried... maybe there was a bad connection at the mother board but given the condition that the mother board was in and there was not any evidence of corrosion or anything like that, I find that hard to believe.

If anyone has experanced a simular problem, please let me know what the solution was.