Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dipster00  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2008 9:37:25 AM(UTC)
dipster00

Groups: Registered

Our GE Profile microwave (model JE2160SF03) is just over a year old, and suddenly died. One moment the clock was on, the next moment I looked at it and nothing was displaying. It's almost as if it fused. Of course, GE is a stickler with the warrantly and because we're a month over the 1 year mark, it's not covered. I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what may have happened and how we can fix it ourselves (if it's a fuse?)

The only other piece of info I can offer is that our door opener (push button) had been sticking for quite some time and was not always opening the microwave. Any help on a possible diagnosis/treatment would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

mustang64  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2008 9:51:55 AM(UTC)
mustang64

Did you find out what the problem was with your microwave? Mine just did the same thing - same model too.
dipster00  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2008 5:24:19 PM(UTC)
dipster00

Yeah, we were able to fix it by doing a couple things. First, we had to order special screw security bits to just open the microwave casing in order to even determine the possible cause. After doing so and being able to open the back, it appeared as though it had fused (you could tell by the bulb and surroundings). We bought the fuses from Lowes, and also changed the recepticle the microwave was plugged into. This seems to have worked so far! (knock on wood). The biggest pain was the security bits - they purposely make it so that normal screwdrivers won't work to open the back.

Hope this helps, and good luck! Let me know how it goes!
mustang64  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2008 5:51:34 AM(UTC)
mustang64

Thanks! We will give it a try...
mustang64  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2008 4:59:49 PM(UTC)
mustang64

Any idea on where to get the security bit?
tsears  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 25, 2008 8:15:23 AM(UTC)
tsears

Any luck finding the security bit? I have the same microwave and its is dead as well. Mine died twice during warranty and has been repaired twice by Sears. It's now out of warranty and don't want to pay Sears to get it working again for 6 to 9 months. If I hadn't bought the Trim Kit to install as build in I'd junk and buy a new non-GE product.
richappy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:00:48 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
These are special torq bits with a hole in the middle available at Lowe's.
tsears  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 2, 2009 10:14:35 AM(UTC)
tsears

Thanks. I'll head to Lowe's to see if I can find them.
tsears  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 11:33:06 AM(UTC)
tsears

Found the security bit at Lowe's but not without asking for assistance. Don't bother looking just ask.

My problem wasn't a blown fuse. The flame sensor (located on the top right side of micrwave if you are standing in front of it). The flame sensor was "closed" thus blocking the electricity flow to the front panel. I unpluged the flame sensor (just 2 red wire push connections) then snapped the sensor of the frame (just 2 plastic tabs) and placed in freezer for 10 minutes. This "opened" the sensor. I reinstalled and microwave works fine.

If fuse is not blown and you have the microwave installed above oven with Trim Kit like I do this might be your problem.
crmackenzie  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 7:07:44 AM(UTC)
crmackenzie

I just had my GE microwave (JE2160SF01 - Jult 2004) die. It had a smell with it like when a flourescent light ballast goes bad. No clock or other signs of life. Would this be covered under the 5 year part of the warranty?

Any ideas.

Chris
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply