Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
prcummings  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 20, 2018 3:29:04 PM(UTC)
prcummings

Groups: Registered

Hi, hopefully someone can help me. I replaced the hinges P/N WP71003353 with supposedly genuine jenn air parts today and now the door does not close up tighht like it did with the worn out hinges. I have to push on the door slightly to get the light switch activated and the self cleaning lock won't engage unless I push alittle bit on the door.
The door works nice and smooth now but it does not close tight against the seal. It seems like the springs are not as tight or they need more tension on them. Could these be inferior hinges?? The oven door has never been off or twisted so it isn't anything like that.
The door seemed to go on the pins inside good but don't know what that looks like. Thanks for any help you can offer.

paul
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

prcummings  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 21, 2018 5:37:14 AM(UTC)
prcummings

Can anyone offer any help on this? I'm getting desperate on what to do next? Thank you

paul
ThatGuy  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 3:13:55 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Does your hinges look like these?

Whirlpool WP71003353 Hinge, Door - AppliancePartsPros.com

Are you sure you have the door all the way into the frame and down on the pins?

Could you post pictures of the door gap, the door frame around the hinge area, and the hinge it's self.

Were there any adjustments on the hinges or door? Perhaps the frame or door are slightly bent.
prcummings  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 4:10:20 PM(UTC)
prcummings

Thatguy, the hinges are the same as in the picture. We owned the oven from the delivery. No bent door or frame. Before putting the old hinges back in I inserted an original and new hinge in each receptacle (without door)to see what they looked like. Come to find out the original hinge is positioned at a slight angle in toward the frame where the new hinge is completely vertical, first difference. Second I pulled on each spring to feel the tension of each and the replacement had very little tension at the closing point compared to the original 19 yr old spring. I compared the hinges side by side and they look identical except for the length of the spring which is slightly different. Could this be an issue of being a replacement spring fit for many models and not matching the specs for the weight and geometry of my door?
PS I will send photos when i figure out how. Thank you very much.
Also I have confirmed the hinges are all the way engaged in the receptacles.
prcummings  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 27, 2018 4:03:45 PM(UTC)
prcummings

Well I got it fixed. If anyone has the same issue this is what I had to do. The springs on the original hinges were a bit stronger so I replaced the new springs with my old ones in the new hinges. Then I realized the stop against the roller was not allowing the hinge to retract as far as the original so I filed the plate down some to get the hinge to retract further in to the frame.
I also decided to swap the receptacles from side to side to move the indentations in the pins to a different location. This probably didn't make a difference but I thought I would do it anyway. These two fixes allowed me to use the new hinges with the mods mentioned above and now the door works like new again.

paul
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply