Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<198199200201202>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
romeyn  
#1991 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2016 9:41:40 AM(UTC)
romeyn

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore Elite 795.77563600. We bought it used, and thankfully still have our previous fridge which still works fine.

The Kenmore worked fine for about 10 days, then is started warming up. We thought this was because we had accidentally left the upper doors ajar, which is easy to do if you close them both at the same time! Then I noticed a screw on one of the lower hinges of the doors had come loose and was keeping the freezer drawer open just a bit.

We moved everything back into the old fridge and fully defrosted the Elite. I placed thermometers in both compartments and powered it back up. It seemed to work fine for about two weeks (empty), and then the refrigerator compartment started warming back up. The freezer was fine.

I removed the back panel inside the freezer compartment and the condenser was a block of ice! I now have it thawed and have been doing research. Am I correct in my determination that this model does not have a defrost timer? I can't find one anywhere! I'm also having trouble locating the thermistor.

See the linked picture. I'm sure that's the heating coil. But the thing I suspect is the thermistor is labelled as "Controller Assembly" in the service manual exploded diagram. One of the "tabs" is inserted into the condenser vertically, the other horizontally.

How would anyone recommend I troubleshoot this?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
edie1022  
#1992 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2016 10:34:20 AM(UTC)
edie1022

[FONT=&quot]The fridge was making a noise like it was trying to cycle but couldn't go all the way. Ice in the icemaker started melting and dripping through the dispenser. The top part of the fridge was not cooling enough so food spoilage rate was [FONT=&quot]fast[/FONT].

Cleaned the fridge inside and out. Opened the back panel of the freezer and melted the ice around the evaporator coils. Replaced the evaporator motor. Put everything back together but the same problem persists. The freezer's back panel has frost on it. Hardly to no air is coming out of the damper even when I open the freezer door.

I'm reluctant to buy another part in case the damper is not the problem. Any suggestions on what parts I should check on and how? Also, is there a defrost timer in this fridge? Maybe the timer is off?
[/FONT]
Gene  
#1993 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2016 7:05:26 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
There definitely is a problem with the defrost system which, in your refrigerator, consists of three parts: defrost heater, defrost thermostat and adaptive defrost control. Adaptive defrost control is an electronic device which operates the defrost cycle and is located inside the control box in the fresh food compartment.
The first step is to test the defrost heater and the defrost thermostat for continuity. The following article on our forum will explain in detail how to run a continuity test using either an analog meter or a digital meter - How To Check Continuity With Ohmmeter.
If any of these two parts will fail the test, both of them would need to be replaced.
The defrost heater Part number: AP4527302
Part number: AP4527302

The defrost thermostat Part number: AP2150145
Part number: AP2150145

If both parts tested OK, the adaptive defrost control would need to be replaced. You can view the repair video to better understand how to replace the part.
The adaptive defrost control kit Part number: AP4909015
Part number: AP4909015

Good luck.
Gene.
edie1022  
#1994 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2016 12:49:46 PM(UTC)
edie1022

Thanks for the reply, Gene! I didn't get a chance to check your reply until today and before going ahead and replacing the evaporator motor thinking maybe that was the problem.

Recently, I noticed that the freezer temperature spiked up so that the frozen stuff started defrosting. I opened up the freezer back panel and the coils were frozen over again so, once again, I manually defrosted it using a hair dryer. One thing I also noticed was that the evaporator fan's speed was inconsistent; it made a very faint noise like it was trying to accelerate but could not maintain it.. Mind you, it had a new evaporator motor. I put my hand over the fan while it was running and I can barely feel any air. While I was at it, I also opened up the damper assembly, unplugged and plugged the wiring harness (did the same with the evaporator motor wiring), and then put the whole thing together again. When I plugged in the fridge, it made the appropriate noises and cold air was flowing through the damper. After a short while though, there is barely any air coming through. Only the bottom shelf compartment is significantly cold. The freezer is working fine though although the back panel has a thin coat of frost on it so I suspect the coils are freezing over again. (Update: Freezer temp is going up again; top part is condensating.)

Given all this, do you think it might still have something to do with the defrost parts? I'll have to borrow an ohmmeter to check on the continuity and report back. Hopefully, it is the most inexpensive part. I don't want to give up on this fridge yet since it is not even 8 years old plus a new one is not within my budget at this time.
Gene  
#1995 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2016 2:32:10 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: edie1022 Go to Quoted Post
One thing I also noticed was that the evaporator fan's speed was inconsistent; it made a very faint noise like it was trying to accelerate but could not maintain it.. Mind you, it had a new evaporator motor.

When did you replace the motor and where did you get it from?

Your description put the motor on top of the suspects list.
If the motor is still under the parts warranty, it has to be exchanged. Otherwise you may want to order another motor.

The part number for the evaporator fan motor kit is Part number: 5303918549
edie1022  
#1996 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2016 10:32:32 AM(UTC)
edie1022

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
When did you replace the motor and where did you get it from?

Your description put the motor on top of the suspects list.
If the motor is still under the parts warranty, it has to be exchanged. Otherwise you may want to order another motor.

The part number for the evaporator fan motor kit is Part number: 5303918549

I got it from an online retailer. I explained the situation and they said they'll send me a replacement. Hopefully, I don't get a lemon again.

Thanks for the advise.
Gene  
#1997 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2016 10:41:49 AM(UTC)
Gene

Good luck.

Keep us updated.
edie1022  
#1998 Posted : Thursday, November 3, 2016 7:44:13 AM(UTC)
edie1022

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Good luck.

Keep us updated.

Got the replacement part and installed it yesterday. At first the fan hesitated and was slow going but I read somewhere in this forum about triggering a defrost cycle by quickly clicking the light on and off 5x. Shortly after doing that, the fan started cycling fast and the fine frost on the copper (?) pipes (one thin and one thick running alongside each other) between the evaporator motor and the coils started clearing like it was defrosting. Cold air once again started blowing through the damper so I put the fridge back together. Checked on it this morning and the problem is back. I've ordered a new defrost thermostat and will replace that part next. So the saga continues.
Gene  
#1999 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2016 2:14:27 PM(UTC)
Gene

I'm afraid it would not fix the problem. The evaporator fan motor operates by the adaptive defrost control and looks like this part caused all problems.
edie1022  
#2000 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2016 6:37:16 PM(UTC)
edie1022

Will replacing the adaptive defrost control fix the problem?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply