Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

25 Pages«<1718192021>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
joelgriffiths  
#181 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:16:19 PM(UTC)
joelgriffiths

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: dh1200s Go to Quoted Post

If you could check this for me does your wash basket rotate slowly rotate CW when you are in wash cycle.....CW Clutch Pulley rotation?

Yes it does. It makes one hell of a racket when it's washing too (because of this rotation).

Does this mean it's the bearing or the clutch? I thought it meant the bearing, but figured I ought to ask to be sure.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I meant to get back to this awhile ago but got busy and started holding the basket when it does its CW re-balancing thing. That works, but I would eventually like to fix it.
dh1200s  
#182 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:37:18 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Originally Posted by: joelgriffiths Go to Quoted Post
Yes it does. It makes one hell of a racket when it's washing too (because of this rotation).

Does this mean it's the bearing or the clutch? I thought it meant the bearing, but figured I ought to ask to be sure.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I meant to get back to this awhile ago but got busy and started holding the basket when it does its CW re-balancing thing. That works, but I would eventually like to fix it.

Joel,

From going back through this thread your machine is what I call the 2nd generation Outer Tub design. Your machine does not use the Upper One-Way bearing just the Clutch Pulley assembly. In the 2nd generation design the functionality of the Upper One-Way bearing ring was incorporated into a single bearing assembly in the Outer Tub it is the lower Outer Tub bearing assembly. A forum member came up with a replacement bearing assembly see in this thread the post dated 03-04-2014, 11:24 AM.

For you to replace that bearing assembly you would have do a Outer Tub tear down. You can view this post http://forum.appliancepartspros...t.html?highlight=dh1200s a lot of comments in the thread but you will see some owners have done an Outer Tub rebuild for this 2nd generation design.

I have one of those machines that I will rebuild just have no hands on with that Outer Tub 2 gen design. I have done the 1st gen Outer tub rebuild with Tub Seal/Tranny O-Ring replacement, Outer Tub bearings and Spinner Suppport bearings........This rebuild path is not for everyone so read thru that thread and you see if you feel if is worth the effort and expense.

Your Outer Tub will us a standard 6207-2RS for the Upper Outer Tub Bearing and a CSK207 Bearing for the Lower Outer Tub Bearing which will need to be shimmed out for the reduced bearing thickness of the CSK207. All this is called out in this post http://forum.appliancepartspros...t.html?highlight=dh1200s . The Lower Outer Tub bearing in your machine sounds like it is breaking down allowing the wash basket to rotate CW in the wash cycle + a lot of bearing noise as you described..........Dick
joelgriffiths  
#183 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:17:54 AM(UTC)
joelgriffiths

Your machine does not use the Upper One-Way bearing just the Clutch Pulley assembly.

Am I reading this right? It sounds like the bearing has nothing to do with this then. The clutch, when I pulled it out, was tweaked badly. Is this just a clutch replacement for me?

The Lower Outer Tub bearing in your machine sounds like it is breaking down allowing the wash basket to rotate CW in the wash cycle + a lot of bearing noise as you described..........Dick

Does the clutch control this, or is it caused by the bearing. The noise I'm talking about is the tub banging the walls during the wash cycle because the tub is spinning while the paddles are rotating the load.

I'm a bit confused. It sounds like I don't even have the one-way bearing.
cyberjones98  
#184 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:57:14 PM(UTC)
cyberjones98

Hi Dick, I hope I’m doing what you asked for, this is in response to a different post: http://forum.appliancepartspros...-any-cycle-new-post.html
I will drop out the clutch over the weekend and check the one way bearing like you suggested. I believe that all series 11 machines use the one way bearing, at least the first generation ones. I have attached a photo of the clutch that I installed back in March so you can see what clutch I’m working with. If after I drop out the clutch and don’t see any rust, what else should I be looking for? Give it a shot of WD40? The tub spins only in one direction, CCW, and will lock if tried to spin clockwise if that is any indication that the one way bearing is working. I have been able to run a complete cycle with the machine empty, and ran a full cycle with a very full load, but not a normal or small load
cyberjones98 attached the following image(s):
Clutch.jpg
dh1200s  
#185 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 5:29:32 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Originally Posted by: cyberjones98 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dick, I hope I’m doing what you asked for, this is in response to a different post: http://forum.appliancepartspros...-any-cycle-new-post.html
I will drop out the clutch over the weekend and check the one way bearing like you suggested. I believe that all series 11 machines use the one way bearing, at least the first generation ones. I have attached a photo of the clutch that I installed back in March so you can see what clutch I’m working with. If after I drop out the clutch and don’t see any rust, what else should I be looking for? Give it a shot of WD40? The tub spins only in one direction, CCW, and will lock if tried to spin clockwise if that is any indication that the one way bearing is working. I have been able to run a complete cycle with the machine empty, and ran a full cycle with a very full load, but not a normal or small load

Cyber before you clean up the the One-Way bearing in your Clutch Bearing and the One-Way Bearing in the Upper Bearing ring go to this page in this thread and do the test I asked forum member gowest4552 to perform and read his response; http://forum.appliancepartspros...nbalance.html#post162489

Let me know your results then clean up both One-way bearing's.........Dick
dh1200s  
#186 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 6:51:25 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Originally Posted by: joelgriffiths Go to Quoted Post
Am I reading this right? It sounds like the bearing has nothing to do with this then. The clutch, when I pulled it out, was tweaked badly. Is this just a clutch replacement for me?

Clutch replacement will not stop the wash basket from rotating CW in the wash cycle. The One-Way bearing assembly that prevents wash basket CW rotation in wash cycle is part of your Lower Outer Tub bearing assembly (2nd gen Outer Tub Design) and that has failed. A Maytag/Whirlpool appliance repair tech could challenge my assessment but from participating in many virtual repair's(I need to rebuild my two 2nd gen machines) I feel that is absolutely the fail point.

To stop the wash basket from rotating CW in the wash cycle (Clutch Pulley CW rotation) you need to tear down and rebuild the Outer Tub. It's a job but others have performed it for 2nd Gen Outer Tub design.

If your machine was a 1st Gen Outer Tub design a clean up of the Upper One-Way bearing ring might get the machine back in full service. If not a clutch Pulley replacement comes with the Upper One-Way bearing ring.

Maytag design engineers were out in left field when they came out with this 2nd gen design of moving the Upper One-Way Bearing ring function to the Lower Outer Tub bearing assembly, for DIY owners it made an Outer Tub rebuild a bit more complicated.

Bottom line don't spend the money for a Clutch Pulley Assembly unless your are going to rebuild the Outer Tub.

For all owners of the FAV6800A and FAV9800A the LCD console the real fix if you are going keep the machine is to perform the http://forum.appliancepartspros...t.html?highlight=dh1200s In this rebuild you repalace the Tub Seal and Tranny O-ring. I feel that Tub Seal failure is the main fail point causing Clutch Pulley assembly and Outer Tub bearing failures............Dick

FAV6800A/FAV9800A see this post http://forum.appliancepartspros...alance-6.html#post430270

Give it a shot I forgot about this forum members fix...........Dick
cyberjones98  
#187 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:44:49 PM(UTC)
cyberjones98

Hi Dick, not sure if this last post from you is for me? My tube will only turn in the CCW position, locks in the CW position. I have replaced the clutch 3 months ago. I have yet removed the clutch to take a look, this is planned for this evening. I have started to take it apart the machine and noticed that at the top part of the washer it seems to be worn (plastic seems to be melted) and I can't think of what did this, I don't see any moving parts around. Maybe it was something I was washing that did this, like a zipper or something. I'm thinking this has nothing to do with it, so off with the clutch. I haven't got all the answers to the questions from the post you had me look at. From the little I saw, it looks like I have about the same issue, but I can give you more in my next post

-Greg
cyberjones98  
#188 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 7:46:21 PM(UTC)
cyberjones98

Hi Dick - When I got the Clutch Pulley off the washer, I found some rust which indicates a tub seal leak&#8230; Outer Tub bearing replacement &#8211; that is for another day. I took the plastic cover off the Clutch Pulley Hub. I inserted the &#8220;Spinner Shaft&#8221; coupler into the Clutch One-Way roller bearing plate. It rotated only in the CW direction, it would lock in the CCW direction. One thing I did find when taking the Clutch Pulley Hub apart was that the spring was bent and the post was not attached, it looks like I found the problem. I plan straitening the spring and put some WD40 on the whole unit to clean it up a bit, then put it back on the machine. Is there any part that should not be greased or WD40&#8217;d?

-Greg
dh1200s  
#189 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2014 5:08:00 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Originally Posted by: cyberjones98 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dick, not sure if this last post from you is for me? My tube will only turn in the CCW position, locks in the CW position. I have replaced the clutch 3 months ago. I have yet removed the clutch to take a look, this is planned for this evening. I have started to take it apart the machine and noticed that at the top part of the washer it seems to be worn (plastic seems to be melted) and I can't think of what did this, I don't see any moving parts around. Maybe it was something I was washing that did this, like a zipper or something. I'm thinking this has nothing to do with it, so off with the clutch. I haven't got all the answers to the questions from the post you had me look at. From the little I saw, it looks like I have about the same issue, but I can give you more in my next post

-Greg

Yep Greg that last post was for joelgriffiths

When you removed the Clutch Pulley did your machine use the Upper One-Way bearing ring?

Quote:
My tube will only turn in the CCW position, locks in the CW position.
Correct......with normal operation the wash basket should never rotate in the CW direction......in the 1st gen Outer Tub design which uses the Upper One-Way Bearing Ring that bearing ring prevents the Wash basket from rotating CW direction with Clutch Pulley CW rotation (wash/agitate cycle direction).

joelgriffiths wash basket is rotating CW during Clutch Pulley CW rotation (wash/agitate direction) in his 2nd gen Outer Tub design. The One-Way bearing that prevents that is located in the Lower Outer Tub bearing assembly in that generation of Outer Tub design............A BS design/downgrade by Maytag......just my opinion of the eng. change of the Outer Tub, they should have touched nothing. If your machine has the 1st gen Outer Tub design and you decide to rebuild it the the rebuild process is a bit easier/cheaper.

Quote:
I haven't got all the answers to the questions from the post you had me look at.
Don't worry about that I don't have all the answers either.....we learn by becoming involved.......expanding our hands on knowledge of the machine. Let me know how you make out when you drop out the Clutch Pulley..........Dick

Greg.....I see your machine is a 1st gen Outer Tub design from your a previous post/pic of your clutch pulley assembly in the thread.
dh1200s  
#190 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2014 5:25:10 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Originally Posted by: Takeonedigital Go to Quoted Post
I just wanted to thank you for the clutch rebuild instructions and thorough diagnosis steps. I had a uL error last night and soaking clothes. Started fix at 10pm and had a running load by midnight with just tools and wd40! You rock and I thank you.

Takeonedigital glad it worked out for you and you have extended the service life of the machine. Clutch Pulley maintenance is a temp fix. Most FAV6800A/FAV9800A at this point in time are well past the service life of the Tub Seal the root cause of Clutch Pulley One-way Bearing the Upper One-Way bearing ring if used, Spinner Support Bearings and the Outer Tub Bearings.

Some owners do breath additional life into the machine if your are into DIY repair.......http://forum.appliancepartspros...t.html?highlight=dh1200s