Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<2829303132>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davidlwallace  
#291 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2009 7:22:07 AM(UTC)
davidlwallace

Groups: Registered

Gene, After I replaced the defrost timer 5 weeks ago, everything seemed to work fine until today; coils in freezer are frozen up again. As I've read your posts, it seems the only defrost components are timer, thermostat, and heater. You stated the only defrost components that could be intermittent were timer and sometimes thermostat. I've replaced the timer. I've never understood what the defrost thermostat really does. Do you advise to replace it next?
Gene  
#292 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2009 4:01:24 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: davidlwallace Go to Quoted Post
...1. coils in freezer are frozen up again...

...2. I've never understood what the defrost thermostat really does...

...3. Do you advise to replace it next?

1. Is it snow or ice?

2. The defrost thermostat senses the cooling coil temperature and operates with the electric current to the defrost heater.

3. If there is snow on the coils - yes. If there is ice chunk(s) then the problem is more serious, probably the sealed system.

Gene.
allysmom  
#293 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2009 10:34:22 AM(UTC)
allysmom

Hi there,
I have a Samsung RS2556WW. I looked at the breakdown and can not find the defrost timer. I do have some ice in the frigerator, but the temperature keeps rising.
Thanks
Gene  
#294 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2009 2:00:07 PM(UTC)
Gene

There is no a defrost timer in Samsung refrigerator. This refrigerator operates by the electronic control boards. You can check the defrost thermostat and the defrost heater for continuity. If there is nothing wrong then the control board has to be replaced.

If the defrost thermostat is bad you can replace it yourself, but if the defrost heater is bad then the whole evaporator assembly has to be replaced and it has to be done by a certified technician.

Gene.
CoutureChiq  
#295 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2009 6:01:25 PM(UTC)
CoutureChiq

Hi Gene,

I am new to this forum, and desperately trying to fix my refrigerator. I have a Kenmore Coldspot 106.73863302. The freezer is working fine, but the main compartment is not cold anymore. I don't think it's a defrost problem, I've unplugged the unit, let it defrost, and then replugged back in - still the same problem. The is almost no air flowing from the freezer to the main compartment when the freezer door is closed. However, when I open the freezer door, the cold air starts flowing through the vents. There is no blockage as I have removed all the food from the fridge and the vents are not iced up.

In reading prior posts, someone else had a similar problem and you suggested that it might be the damper control? How do I check this? I tried looking for a manual but couldn't find one for my particular model number.

Also, I think it may be the fan. There is a fan in my freezer that (I think) fans the cool air from the freezer to the main compartment, but it is not fanning.

Could it be anything else?

Thank you so much!
allysmom  
#296 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:09:39 AM(UTC)
allysmom

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
There is no a defrost timer in Samsung refrigerator. This refrigerator operates by the electronic control boards. You can check the defrost thermostat and the defrost heater for continuity. If there is nothing wrong then the control board has to be replaced.

If the defrost thermostat is bad you can replace it yourself, but if the defrost heater is bad then the whole evaporator assembly has to be replaced and it has to be done by a certified technician.

Gene.

Hi Gene,
How do I check for continuity? Or where? Did I mention the whirring noise from the fan or the motor? Would that tell me the bearings are out and I need to replace the motor?
Thanks Gene :o
Gene  
#297 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2009 1:31:37 PM(UTC)
Gene

CoutureChiq,

Because you have the top mount freezer, the first thing I would do is remove the rear panel and the floor in the freezer and check for the ice built up due to frozen drain. This ice would block the air ducts.

Also can you explain what did you mean when you said: "There is a fan in my freezer...but it is not fanning"?

Gene.
Gene  
#298 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2009 1:41:11 PM(UTC)
Gene

Allysmom,

Samsung refrigerators are not very simple and not many technicians know how to fix them. It is very easy to damage an interior panel in these refrigerator if you do not know how to handle them right. I would recommend to call a Samsung authorized guy to diagnose and fix it for you. DIY can cost you more money with this fridge.

You can learn how to run a continuity test from the following article on our forum - How to check Continuity with Ohmmeter.

Gene.
CoutureChiq  
#299 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:05:29 PM(UTC)
CoutureChiq

CoutureChiq,

Because you have the top mount freezer, the first thing I would do is remove the rear panel and the floor in the freezer and check for the ice built up due to frozen drain. This ice would block the air ducts.

Also can you explain what did you mean when you said: "There is a fan in my freezer...but it is not fanning"?

Gene.

There is a fan in a duct connected to the back panel of the freezer. (I think this is an evaporator fan) This fan sits above the holes that the cold air to the FFC flows through. This fan is not spinning. Could it be the motor for this fan?

We removed the back panel - there is no ice buildup. The air ducts are not blocked. When we open the freezer door, we can feel the cold air flowing to the FFC. As soon as we close the freezer door, the air flow slows almost to a complete stop.

Edit: I just looked at the refrigerator in my workplace. It also has a fan in the back of the freezer, and when I open the door, this fan is on and spinning. My home refrigerator's same fan was is no longer spinning.
davidlwallace  
#300 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:12:36 PM(UTC)
davidlwallace

1. Is it snow or ice?

2. The defrost thermostat senses the cooling coil temperature and operates with the electric current to the defrost heater.

3. If there is snow on the coils - yes. If there is ice chunk(s) then the problem is more serious, probably the sealed system.

Gene.

Gene,
Here is the full dialogue that we have had thus far; I'm including it because I think we might have gotten caddywompus. I know you talk to a lot of people about a lot of issues, so I thought it best to include the full context.
2/8/09 To Gene from David.
Gene,
I've read your posts regarding defrost system, and am convinced this is my problem; but I'm puzzled still. First, I'm puzzled why my model # doesn't show up on any sears parts website, but model #'s that are very close do show up; so I have used parts diagrams from the very similar model# 25359482991. My original symptom was warm refrigerator, which led me to find ice on evaporator coils. I manually defrosted evap coils, then plugged back in, and it worked fine. The defrost system kicked in regularly, and I could see ice on coils melt. It worked great for a month. Yesterday, same problem reoccurred. So, I defrosted evap coils manually. I found your post on defrost system, so I located defrost timer, turned to advance until I heard click, observed defrosting evap coil, after 35 minutes, timer clicked and freezer started back up. All seems like it is working fine. However, I am confused why the ice buildup a month ago, and again yesterday. I have not done a continuity check on defrost heater because I saw the ice on the evap coil melt when in defrost mode, so it must have continuity. What is your best guess? Thanks, David.

2/9/09 From Gene, To David.
Hi David,
The only part in the defrost system which can have an intermittent problem is the defrost timer. In the situation you described, I would replace it first. The defrost thermostat could do it too, but it is much rare.- The part number for the defrost timer is AP2111929 Gene.

2/9/09 To Gene from David.
Thank Gene; I ordered a defrost timer yesterday and it should be here tomorrow. If that's not it, I'll call again; otherwise, thanks a lot. David

2/9/09 From Gene to David.
You are welcome. Keep us posted. Gene.

2/28/09 To Gene from David.
Gene, After I replaced the defrost timer 5 weeks ago, everything seemed to work fine until today; coils in freezer are frozen up again. As I've read your posts, it seems the only defrost components are timer, thermostat, and heater. You stated the only defrost components that could be intermittent were timer and sometimes thermostat. I've replaced the timer. I've never understood what the defrost thermostat really does. Do you advise to replace it next?

2/28/09 From Gene, To David.
1. Is it snow or ice?
Gene.

3/3/09 Gene, Back to this message: Given this continuous dialogue, I am now somewhat confused. The answer to your question #1 above is "Ice". But that was my initial problem in the first place (see 2/8/09 post above). Your initial advice was to look at the timer, which I replaced (see 2/9/09 post above). From your secondary advice (see 2/9/09 post above), I have ordered a defrost thermostat; it has arrived, and I will replace it tomorrow.

My current confusion is based on your #2 and #3 above. Regarding #2: can you please explain the relationship between the defrost timer and the defrost thermostat? My current understanding of my defrost timer is that it is a clock that runs on 8.5 hour intervals to switch the defrost cycle on; which would turn on the defrost heater; which then runs for 35 minutes timed by the defrost timer. So, how does the defrost thermostat have a role in the defrost cycle if the defrost timer is the switching governor?

Regarding your #3 above: since my first post, I've had ice on the condenser coils rather than snow. Also, I've only been focused on figuring out which of the 3 defrost components is the issue, and have not been led to consider any other parts or systems. But your #3 above leads me to believe that you think my problem is other than my defrost system.

So, do you have a logical procedure for me to go forward with that can help me identify the issue?
Thanks so much for all your help, Sincerely, David