Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zook11  
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:34:17 AM(UTC)
zook11

Groups: Registered

Ok so I posted earlier that Sears tech replaced relay. Fridge worked fine.
This repair lasted five days!
We lost another refrigerator full of food.
Service tech rescheduled under warranty. First appointment 4 days out. On that day appointment was from 8-5. about 2:00 I decided to call and see where tech was or if he was still coming. Routed though India or where ever and 20 minute computer phone loop I got a human who said tech would call me. 1 hour later tech called(my cell phone, number given to call) and was at the wrong address. Another house I own but not the one that: Was on my service agreement and that the previous tech had serviced fridg. He said he had one more appointment near that area and then would be over. 1 hour later he called again and said the main office told him even tho he was 15 min. to my location that that would have to be handled by a different tech! After several more calls phone loops though texas, arizona and god knows where else and being told someone was on the way. At 5:00 I called again and they stated the tech called and no one answered. I discoved they called my office line and left a message, not the cell number given and which had already been called twice! Now they said there is nothing they can do but reschedule... next appointment 4 more days out! By the way for the food loss you get another 800 number to start that process. I did curse too much at the end of this 12 hour ordeal. The next day I was at the Sears parts warehouse getting parts for another repair and mentioned what had happened. The guy went in the back room and came back and said someone will be out Today July 26. So now am again at home waiting for the Tech. Will update after anyone ever gets here!
erkme73  
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:22:25 AM(UTC)
erkme73

Originally Posted by: mcs11 Go to Quoted Post
try partsdepotonline.com for this part, ships in 2-4 days though...

mike

I ordered the relay assembly from a seller on EBY (of all places) on Thursday (July 2th) and I had it in my had by Monday - regular mail. They were in my state, and it was only $15 w/shipping. Fridge has run like a top since then. Of course, we weren't certain this would solve the problem, and with the anticipated delay for the part, we opted to buy a new fridge. LG this time. $2500 later, we have a really nice shiny fridge in the kitchen, and a perfectly functioning Whirlpool in the garage. To be honest, the LG (4 door) is lacking in many ways and I have considerable buyer's remorse. Not the right thread so I'll skip the details.
zook11  
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 19, 2009 4:11:02 AM(UTC)
zook11

I posted in my last e-mail I was given a next day appointment 8-5.
I waited patiently for the Tech. I heard my office phone ring at 4:53! It was the Tech. Still after many discusions they call the wrong number! Luckily I caught the phone however and the Tech came at about 6:10. He plugged in unit immediately began to replace BAD COMPRESSOR. YES the TECHUMSAH with blue Indian was the problem. 1 hour later up and running after another 11 hour wait for me. Working fine today. Now to file loss of food report.........
SearsCare  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 3:17:30 PM(UTC)
SearsCare

Dear Zook11,
I am sorry to hear about the trouble you have experienced with Sears repair service. My name is David and I work for the Sears Cares Team. We would like to speak to regarding this experience. If you can contact us at searscares@searshc.com so we can further discuss your concerns. Please include your screen name (Zook11) in your email so we can reference to your case.
Thank you,
David V.
Senior Case Manager
Rob-00  
#15 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 5:46:48 AM(UTC)
Rob-00

Originally Posted by: erkme73 Go to Quoted Post
I gutted the relay base - removing the shards of the resistor that was previously inside. I made a jumper with a momentary push-button which, when pushed, will short the start coil with the run coil (via the cap). It worked just fine to start the compressor and it's running now. As soon as the compressor shuts off, though, it will not restart on its own. For now, I've set the temp to the coldest setting, which will buy me some time to find the part locally tomorrow - or order it from here if I can't find it.

I've uploaded a layman's schematic of the jumper location. This is temporary and will only get the compressor started if held as the compressor tries to start. DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT. If you jumper this permanently, you'll fry the cap, and probably cause a fire.

Thanks this worked great get me threw the weekend. Also a good test to test everything else to see if it all works. Now all I have to do is go and get the part monday thank you
erkme73  
#16 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 6:49:18 AM(UTC)
erkme73

@Rob:

Glad to see it worked. My fridge hasn't skipped a beat since the July '09 incident. Weird how these things always seem to go bad going into the weekend.
MrKFC  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:11:22 AM(UTC)
MrKFC

Tried the jumper but it wouldn't work. The overload protector was too far gone and kept dropping out. Otherwise it would have worked.
Bought the parts at a Sears parts store. I called their parts online. They would have expedited the part to me next day at no additional charge if I called before 11 am central time. It was quicker to drive the 25 miles to the store. The part at Sears was $62.82 plus tax, but for that I got two Start-Dev parts with overload protectors and two more overload protectors. I'm set for a while and it's working just fine.