Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<131132133134135>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gene  
#1321 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:42:47 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mraknroll Go to Quoted Post
...Is there some underlying issue that may be causing the thermostat to fail?...

Nothing but poor quality. 15 years ago I never saw defective parts out of the box!

Gene.
Mraknroll  
#1322 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:00:58 PM(UTC)
Mraknroll

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the quick reply Gene. Quality of the replacement part was my main concern, and the reason for my query. It doesn't make much sense to buy the same exact part again if I am going to have to go through this again in a couple of years. Do you have any suggestions as to finding a higher quality replacement? I don't mind paying more $$ if it means I don't have to empty out my freezer again in 2 years!
Mraknroll  
#1323 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:00:59 PM(UTC)
Mraknroll

Thanks for the quick reply Gene. Quality of the replacement part was my main concern, and the reason for my query. It doesn't make much sense to buy the same exact part again if I am going to have to go through this again in a couple of years. Do you have any suggestions as to finding a higher quality replacement? I don't mind paying more $$ if it means I don't have to empty out my freezer again in 2 years!
Methodical  
#1324 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:16:01 PM(UTC)
Methodical

Thanks Gene - all is good

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Al,

It would not affect the ice maker performance, but you would not be able to use the ice dispenser. The ice bin has to be removed, defrosted and dried.

Gene.
Methodical  
#1325 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:34:46 PM(UTC)
Methodical

Yes unplug both and test for continuity. Also, if you remove the thermostat you may as well test it for continuity if you can get it frozen (i.e. place in another freezer if you have one)

Originally Posted by: smackattack Go to Quoted Post
According to the instructions, you say to remove 1 wire and test continuity on the heater, if they are both in a quick disconnect, can i unplug it and then just check continuity touching each wire in the plug?

You say the heater going bad is rare, is the most likely culprit the defrost thermostat then? Could I start just by swapping the thermostat and see if it solved the problem. I must say, on inspection, that defrost heater looks like a right pain in the butt to change.

Thanks again
Gene  
#1326 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:54:18 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: Mraknroll Go to Quoted Post

It's hard to say which part is better. I figure out that some times aftermarket parts had better quality than OEM.

Gene.
Gene  
#1327 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:55:00 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: Methodical Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Gene - all is good

You are welcome. I'm glad it's up and running.

Gene.
Denis_D  
#1328 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:30:10 AM(UTC)
Denis_D

Denis,

Did he replaced the gasket?

Gene.

No he didn't. I was planning to order that when I knew whether or not I you were going to suggest replacing defrost parts (timer, etc).

Do you think that I should I replace the gasket first?
zonic  
#1329 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:06:24 AM(UTC)
zonic

There is no defrost timer in your refrigerator. The defrost cycle operates by the control board (#6 on the diagram).

You can force the defrost following the instructions attached to the reply.

- The electronic control board Part number: AP5177497
Part number: AP5177497

- The defrost heater Part number: AP2990875

Thank you Gene for the advice. I'll let you know if the problem will occur again few days from now.
Gene  
#1330 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 1:21:58 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: Denis_D Go to Quoted Post
No he didn't. I was planning to order that when I knew whether or not I you were going to suggest replacing defrost parts (timer, etc).

Do you think that I should I replace the gasket first?

Quote:
...but the port between the freezer and the fridge got cloged with ice and blocked the cold air from the freezer from entering the fridge...

Quote:
...A couple of weeks later I had the same problem. but this time I could actually see the frost form on the duct outlet (upper-rear) on the fridge side

Such problem has nothing to do with the defrost system. Most likely the door(s) not sealed properly or repeatedly kept ajar.

You can check the door seals by a visual inspection or by inserting a dollar bill between the door gasket and door frame. If it will stay firm, the seal is good.

Gene.