Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rambler2411  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 6:40:38 PM(UTC)
rambler2411

Groups: Registered

Hi Dick, I hope you get this. I've ordered the bearings, o-ring and tub seal per your suggestion and will post once I've started disassembly.

A
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

dh1200s  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:57:40 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Follow all safety warnings in the Service Manual and remove 120VAC power to the washer before working on the machine.

Hey Andy,

Remember to remove the Tumblers you will need a #20 TORX driver 6” to 8” should do it. I just put my #20 TORX driver bit on a ¼” socket extension. Follow the SM to get down to removing the six spinner bolts.

The six Spinner bolts will be corroded in. Give them a good wash/soak with PB Blaster overnight. As I mentioned in the Maytag Neptune load unbalance post I sheared one off with my ½” impact tool and that made the job a bit more painful. Other folks I have worked with had no issues.

1st pic of looking into the inner tub of the clamping ring and six Spinner Bolt locations. 2nd pic of 5 Spinner bolts and one sheared off bolt.

My bearing extraction tools are plain vanilla as you will see in the 3rd pic.

I flipped the Outer Tub upside down on a piece of carpet and with a large screwdriver/socket extension I started to pound out the upper bearing first. A 3/8” dia piece of drill rod would probably work better.

You will see a floating spacer between the original 6207-DU bearings 4th and 5th pics. You need to work around the inside of the spacer as you pound out that first bearing.

Once I got that first bearing out I laid the outer tub on its side and took a piece 1” PVC about 3’ long (that’s all I had on hand) and my 2.5lb hammer and with careful strikes punched out the bottom 6207-DU bearing. A helper would be handy to have during this process to help control tub movement.

Take care thru the process with the hammer strikes that you don’t have a hammer blow glance and strike the tub. Take care with the molded in Drive Motor bracket that you cause no damage to it when working on this project.

Once the bearings are out I wire brushed bearing hubs in the tub to remove rust as best I could.

If other Forum members/ART’s have suggestions please jump in.

I laid out a drawing for local machine shop for home brew bearing insertion tool start/seat the bearings. I ended up using that for just starting to seat the bearings you won’t need anything like that. A forum member I worked with went to Auto Zone and rented a bearing seating tool that is worth exploring.

I placed some large washers over the bearings to protect the races and with careful 2.5lb hammer blows seated the bearings. Don't forget after seating the 1st bearing insert that spacer. I did....not fun ):

Will post some additional pics of the installed 6207-2RS in the Outer Tub.

Let me know how many coins you find in the tub. I have a Sump Cap filter I came up with if you are interested. It will help protect the Drain Pump impeller from any coins that get past the Sump Cap as well as other debris/crap.

Next post if no other questions I will go over a tip for installing the Tub Seal…….Dick
dh1200s attached the following image(s):
Wash Basket removed Spinner Plate.JPG
Spinner Plate with Wash Basket bolts I broke off one. 2.JPG
Bearing extraction tools.JPG
Outer Tub Beaings bottom 1.JPG
One of two NSK 6207 DU bearing and spacer.JPG
dh1200s  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 5:57:52 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Andy,

When you pull the Spinner Assembly out 9.999 times out of 10 the sleeve that is in the old tub seal will remain on the Spinner Support shaft. I show small drill bit pointing to it and the process of removing it.

You will throw that old sleeve away..... do not reuse . You will have a new sleeve installed in your new Tub Seal.

When you pull out the Spinner Support I would clean up and re-grease the cage needle bearing (Clutch Pulley end) the agitator shaft rides in just as a preventive maintenance step. That bearing can be replaced I have done so just for the hands on as well as the upper Spinner Support bearing that the splined agitator shaft end rides in. Those bearings are pictured below.

I'm no expert at this so if any of the process is not clear let me know.....Dick
1 Drill bit pointing to sleve.JPG
4 Work you way around the sleeve prying up.JPG
5 We have lift off.JPG
Agitator Shaft removed showing roller bearing cup Clutch Pulley end.JPG
Agitator bearings.jpg
dh1200s  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 6:10:15 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Just some pics from a Tranny and Spinner support I picked up real cheap.

The install pic mentions to greese the spinner support on install just a fyi.
Spinner Support Plate 2.jpg
Agitator shaft.JPG
Agitator Shaft Spline.JPG
Spinner and Agitator Shaft seated.JPG
Transmission mounted to Spinner plate.JPG
dnmll  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2011 2:52:11 AM(UTC)
dnmll

I believe I may have to replace the tub seal because I took clutch off to do the clean up suggested but found both bearings rusted stuck and the rust seems to have started above the clutch like the tub seal is starting to leak. It yanked the pin from the spring but did not break the spring in clutch. I tried taking all the needles out of bearings and soaking everything in wd-40 for a couple of days and then soaking in oil and reassembling but still had to beat one bearing on and its locked up. Maybe I can buy the clutch without the pulley and spring? I think the new one will go bad if I don't fix the leak though. I don't know the series yet because I'm working on it where its installed. I will try to pull it out and look with a mirror. It is the FAV6800aaw. I originally started taking it apart and searching for answers because of the unbalanced problem. I appreciate any advice you might have. :eek:
dh1200s  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:09:47 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

dnmll

Follow all safety warnings in the Service Manual and remove 120VAC power to the washer before working on the machine.

I feel from what you described a Tub Seal and Tranny O-Ring replacement is called for.

I have a few questions;

1. When you removed the Clutch Pulley it sounds like your series used the Upper One-Way Bearing mounted on top of the Clutch Pulley “”found both bearings rusted stuck””. If so then I feel you have a Series 10 or 11 machine designated by the first digits of your machines S/N. You can check that out on the right rear Console Model I.D. tag.

2. With the Clutch Pulley and Upper One-Way Bearing mounted on top of the Clutch Pulley removed the Wash Basket can be spun either CCW normal spin cycle direction or CW. With the Clutch Pulley and Upper Bearing ring mounted the Wash Basket should never rotate CW.

Thru the lid can you spin the Wash Basket CCW as fast as you can by hand? The Wash basket should turn CCW several revolutions and come to a gentle stop. Does it and do you hear any bearing noise? Just checking the health of the Outer Tub bearings.

3. Do you have the FAV6800A/FAV9800A Service Manual 16022808 Revision 0 December 2003?

Let’s see what you find and we will proceed. I’m an owner like you and have done a complete Outer Tub rebuild including Spinner Support bearings but I’m no expert..... but have a good DIY feel for the machine and will try to help you get the machine back in service with resonable cost of repair, that's the goal. I assume you can tollerate some down time?

“”Maybe I can buy the clutch without the pulley and spring?””

I believe this Clutch Pulley and Upper bearing ring use a HF3520 One-Way Needle clutches type bearing. I bought one and was going to try pressing into the Clutch Pulley hub if I ever come across one in a junk pile.

You can’t buy the SS large wrap spring that I’m aware of. Most DIY folks I have worked with on different forums re-bend the ends to shape and give it a try. No feedback on long term service results. There two different p/n numbers for the Clutch Pulley I know the cheaper one by ½ price is this p/n 25001169.

“”I think the new one will go bad if I don't fix the leak though.””
Yes right on…….…….Dick

Parts;
Qty 1 Tub Seal AP4035323
Qty 1 O-ring seal AP4034167

If you need to replace the Outer Tub Bearings;
Qty 2 6207-2RS Bearing 35x72x17 other series machines that do not use the Upper One-Way bearing ring need special attention to the Lower Outer Tub Bearing used.

The Clutch Pulley I recommend for all FAV6800A/FAV9800A series is p/n 25001169.
dh1200s  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:15:10 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

My unbalance error code post on this forum;

Maytag Neptune load unbalance

Dick
dnmll  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2011 1:17:38 PM(UTC)
dnmll

Originally Posted by: dh1200s Go to Quoted Post
dnmll

I feel from what you described a Tub Seal and Tranny O-Ring replacement is called for.

I have a few questions;

1. When you removed the Clutch Pulley it sounds like your series used the Upper One-Way Bearing mounted on top of the Clutch Pulley “”found both bearings rusted stuck””. If so then I feel you have a Series 10 or 11 machine designated by the first digits of your machines S/N. You can check that out on the right rear Console Model I.D. tag.

2. With the Clutch Pulley and Upper One-Way Bearing mounted on top of the Clutch Pulley removed the Wash Basket can be spun either CCW normal spin cycle direction or CW. With the Clutch Pulley and Upper Bearing ring mounted the Wash Basket should never rotate CW.

Thru the lid can you spin the Wash Basket CCW as fast as you can by hand? The Wash basket should turn CCW several revolutions and come to a gentle stop. Does it and do you hear any bearing noise? Just checking the health of the Outer Tub bearings.

3. Do you have the FAV6800A/FAV9800A Service Manual 16022808 Revision 0 December 2003?

Let’s see what you find and we will proceed. I’m an owner like you and have done a complete Outer Tub rebuild including Spinner Support bearings but I’m no expert..... but have a good DIY feel for the machine and will try to help you get the machine back in service with resonable cost of repair, that's the goal. I assume you can tollerate some down time?

“”Maybe I can buy the clutch without the pulley and spring?””

I believe this Clutch Pulley and Upper bearing ring use a HF3520 One-Way Needle clutches type bearing. I bought one and was going to try pressing into the Clutch Pulley hub if I ever come across one in a junk pile.

You can’t buy the SS large wrap spring that I’m aware of. Most DIY folks I have worked with on different forums re-bend the ends to shape and give it a try. No feedback on long term service results. There two different p/n numbers for the Clutch Pulley I know the cheaper one by ½ price is this p/n 25001169.

“”I think the new one will go bad if I don't fix the leak though.””
Yes right on…….…….Dick

Parts;
Qty 1 Tub Seal AP4035323
Qty 1 O-ring seal AP4034167

If you need to replace the Outer Tub Bearings;
Qty 2 6207-2RS Bearing 35x72x17 Sealed (note can be used for Series 12 thru 17 but requires some mod).

Clutch Pulley all FAV6800A/FAV9800A series I prefer 25001169 look for best price.

Thanks for your quick response.
1. 10217137EC
2. Wash basket with clutch on won't turn, but with it off it turns very easily and will rotate for 30 seconds with little noise.
3. I tried to find the service manual online, but no luck yet. The clutch bearing looks like it is molded to the plastic and would be hard to remove so I will probably have to buy the whole thing.

I saw 2 different part numbers for clutch and thought maybe one was cheaper because it didn't include the pulley or something.
dh1200s  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2011 2:07:00 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

Your Outer Tub Bearings seem good.

Tub Seal and tranny O-ring and Clutch Pulley will get you back in svr.

I Google and I find the SM with this phrase; 16022808.pdf

Check thru a couple of the hits.

Can you e-mail me and will help with the SM and Clutch?

My e-mail adr is attached to Vcard on my profile.........Dick
dnmll  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:38:21 PM(UTC)
dnmll

Well I disassembled the washer. I unplugged it first. I pulled away from the wall a few inches so I could lean the top back. I removed the front panel, unplugged the motor, disconnected the drain hose from wash tub, undid the wire hangers from rear of tub (Just lift tub up and push hanger out), took balance sensor off wash tub, and pulled tub straight up to disconnect front struts. I then took the tub to the garage to disassemble the rest.

I pried the two covers off agitators and then removed 2 Torx 20 screws and removed the agitators. Removed the rest of the torx screws to remove most of the inside plastics for cleaning. (They were covered underneath with scum and black mold.) I removed four bolts holding the transmission and gently pried back and forth while tub was tilted on its side and removed the tranny. Lots more black mold, soap, and dirt.

I turned wash tub upside down. I used a 1 3/4"socket and impact to remove the nut. Turn tub upright and removed 6 bolts to remove the spinner support shaft. I then had to pry the tub seal sleeve off shaft like Dick said. There was rust on bottom of wash tub and on top of spinner support shaft. No evidence of water inside of transmission so it looks like water was leaking through the o-ring and going down the center of the spinner support shaft. I think the main bearings are ok.

I am wondering if I should change the small bearing on support shaft??? Not sure how to remove it. I will have to order tub seal, O-ring for transmission, clutch, and maybe the small bearing. I'm wondering if it is worth putting new tub bearings in while I have everything apart. Other than that, nothing hard so far but lots of cleaning to do.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply