Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hennjw  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2010 7:00:56 AM(UTC)
hennjw

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Artica side by side refrigerator/freezer approximately 8 years old. Ice maker is no longer working. Green power light remains on but no ice. I replaced a Water Valve about 2 years ago after it began leaking with no problems. Reading forum I figured either the ice maker needs replaced or something has gone wrong with water valve. Trying to figure out which to replace. Is there a way to tell which one has gone bad?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2010 7:56:02 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hennjw Go to Quoted Post
I have a GE Artica side by side refrigerator/freezer approximately 8 years old. Ice maker is no longer working. Green power light remains on but no ice. I replaced a Water Valve about 2 years ago after it began leaking with no problems. Reading forum I figured either the ice maker needs replaced or something has gone wrong with water valve. Trying to figure out which to replace. Is there a way to tell which one has gone bad?

Without a model number, I can only give you general tests and instructions.

If you could, please get us a model and serial number, we can be more helpfull.

In general :

Does the water dispenser work ?

Have you checked or replaced the system filter ?

If you have a meter, check the fill valve solenoids for 500 to 1000 ohms.

You may want to check for 120 VAC at the icemaker solenoid(s) when the icemaker cycles to the fill increment.

Please reply with the model number, if you could, we will be able to help you more efficiently with it.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
hennjw  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:35:09 AM(UTC)
hennjw

The refrigerator is a GE Profile Arctica, model#PSS25NGMA and serial# GA410304. The water dispenser works and the auger that attempts to push the ice out, just no ice. I regularly change the water filter and did so about a month ago.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:12:32 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

The refrigerator is a GE Profile Arctica, model#PSS25NGMA and serial# GA410304. The water dispenser works and the auger that attempts to push the ice out, just no ice. I regularly change the water filter and did so about a month ago.

Good,

Thanks for the information.

Now, we're down to the fill valve or a bad circuit in the icemaker control module.

You are sure the icemaker is on(green light lit) ?

Did you get a chance to test the resistance in the icemaker fill valve (500 to 1,000 ohms)?

I attached the icemaker test mode for you.

*The electronic icemaker has a service test mode that can be utilized by the service technician in order to test
basic operation of the icemaker. The service test mode consists of a harvest cycle followed immediately by a
water fi ll. The harvest cycle is entered, regardless of icemaker temperature or arm position.
To enter the service test mode:
Turn the power switch to the off position and wait 20 seconds. (The green power light will be unlit.)
Turn the power switch to the on position. (The green power light will be lit.)
Push the feeler arm from the out position to the in position and back again 3 times and only 3 times

within 20 seconds

Note:
If the icemaker has already started a harvest cycle and the arm is moving, it may be impossible to
properly move the arm and enter the service mode without allowing it to reset and powering up again. If the
icemaker is allowed to go through it’s normal harvest cycle, it will take 10-15 minutes after it dumps the ice
for water to enter the icemaker.
While in the harvest mode, the heater will remain on for a minimum of 20 seconds. The water fi ll cycle will
initiate the fi rst fi ll (5.1 seconds) without waiting for the mold to prechill. Only one water fi ll occurs during the

service mode. The icemaker will exit the service test on its own and enter the normal freeze cycle. *

You should check for 120 VAC at the valve terminals for the icemaker fill valve, while in the test mode, to determine if you have a bad valve or icemaker control module.

I'm sure this process, will get you properly diagnosed and repaired.

hennjw  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:53:21 AM(UTC)
hennjw

I performed the icemake test mode with no success. I am sure the green light is on. I attempted to test the resistance on the valve but I'm not sure if I checked the right connections.
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:22:11 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

I performed the icemake test mode with no success. I am sure the green light is on. I attempted to test the resistance on the valve but I'm not sure if I checked the right connections.

Great,

If you followed the instructions for the icemaker test mode, then you have an internal failure and will need the icemaker assembly.

Part number: AP4345120
Part number: AP4345120

Going by the diagram the the orange and white wires,at the fill valve solenoids are your icemaker voltage wires.

Disconnect those wires from the solenoid(s) and check across the 2 terminals on the solenoid for 500 to 1000 ohms. that will indicate the coils are in range and should operate, after you replace the icemaker assembly.

Good Luck,
:) :) :)