Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
svcmgr  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 10:23:59 AM(UTC)
svcmgr

Groups: Registered

To start, I think I know what the answer is to this but I would like another opinion before I spend the money.
I have a Whirlpool oven (electric). The other night, while cooking something in the oven, the oven all of a sudden made a noise and locked the door. I am pretty sure there was a E2 and -F3- on the display. I didn't notice or write it down because we were in somewhat of a panic because there was food in the oven.
After we put away the fans and put the batteries back in the smoke detectors and cleaned up the burnt mess, we were a little hesitant to use the oven again.
We tried it again, and with very watchful eyes, it seemed to work ok.
The other day, it did it again (while it was preheating). So, I shut off the breaker and let it sit for a while.
Now, when I turn the power back on, the E2 -F3- will show up on the screen. Another funny thing is that when I turn the power on, the broiler element turns on and gets hot even though everything is off.
I checked the Temp sensor. At room temp it ohms out at 1080 ohms.
Is there something else I can check before thinking of replacing the main board? I saw the price of those things and I would like to be sure to eliminate everything else or prove it is the board before purchasing a new one.
Thanks for the help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 1:44:39 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Quote:
...I checked the Temp sensor. At room temp it ohms out at 1080 ohms...

Quote:
...when I turn the power on, the broiler element turns on and gets hot even though everything is off...

You do not have to run any more tests. The control board is the culprit. I would buy the control board with an almond key panel just because its price is about $50 less. You can talk to the APP team to find out the ETA on the part.

- The control board Part number: AP2989600
svcmgr  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 5:10:48 PM(UTC)
svcmgr

Thanks for the quick response Gene!
That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure.
Your help is very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 7:49:26 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome. Keep us posted.

Gene.
svcmgr  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:04:36 AM(UTC)
svcmgr

Hi gene,
Me again.
2 to 4 weeks for a part. I don't suppose there is a way to disable the oven part so we could at least use the burners?
Thanks,
Gene  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:52:15 AM(UTC)
Gene

Remove the rear cover and disconnect either the "P-3" or "P-4" plug from the control board. According to the wiring diagram it should interrupt power to the control board.

Gene.
svcmgr  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:30:38 PM(UTC)
svcmgr

Gene,
I initially tried disconnecting P3 (I misread the plug) and turned the power back on. I noticed that the broiler element still was heating. I looked on the diagram and I disconnected P2-1 just for that element.
I powered it back up and the element is now off. No alarm displayed on the screen.
I am wondering if my initial problem was that the relay that controls the broiler element was failing. This would cause the broiler element to turn on when it wasn't needed causing the oven to get too hot and then the control locking out the door because of the temperature.
I can turn on the oven (I didn't turn it on for long) and the bottom element starts heating.
I wonder if I can use it this way until I replace the part?
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Gene  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:58:31 PM(UTC)
Gene

Very likely the problem is a bad (shorted) Broil relay on the control board. As long as power is not coming from the control board to the Broil element you probably can use the rest of its functions until you replace the board.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply