Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
falon871  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2008 5:18:48 PM(UTC)
falon871

Groups: Registered

my fridge just started warming up and spoiled new milk. checked fridge temp, was 60 degrees. freezer temp is 4. i cleaned the air openings in the back, no help. I dont feel any kind of air entering the fridge. have the temp turned all the way down no difference. also slight amout of frost starting to accumulate in the freezer back walls. why is the fridge hot? I do have the wiring diagrams to this unit. have electronics experience, and am ASE certified in automotive ac systems. so I can do service on this item if need be, I just dont have any documentation on how the fridge is cooled to troubleshoot it. is it forced air, or got coils in the walls? any help would be appreciated.

joe
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

falon871  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2008 6:02:10 PM(UTC)
falon871

on further notice, it appears there is a cold air vent at the top where the thermostat is, and there is no air entering from the avap fan. so there must be a thermostat problem, or a cold air door motor problem that controls the amount of air that enters the fridge side from the freezer side.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2008 1:32:11 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Locate your defrost timer in back of the control panel and turn till the compressor stops. If freezer starts defrosting, replace the defrost timer. If not, pull the freezer back panel and check the defrost thermostat while cold, a round thing clipped to the evaporator. Should be shorted. Thaw freezer with hair dryer and order thermostat.
okbobcats  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2008 3:48:56 AM(UTC)
okbobcats

is the fan running in the freezer area?
falon871  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2008 5:51:19 PM(UTC)
falon871

I will check the timer and defrost thermo. Both the fans are running. it is also not making ice anymore. seems to be no air flow to the top of the freezer and the fridge. and the fridge runs continuous without stopping
falon871  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2008 6:18:48 PM(UTC)
falon871

I have not found the defrost timer yet. What control panel are we talking about? is it located behind the rear panels inside the freezer where the evap fan is? thanks
richappy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2008 6:30:17 PM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You will find a white button covering the defrost timer shaft hole behind the control panel in the fridg section. Either in the back of the fridg. or underneath in the front.
falon871  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2008 7:16:21 PM(UTC)
falon871

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
falon871  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2008 7:20:11 PM(UTC)
falon871

ok, the evap was froze over solid. that explains the no airflow. I checked the defrost thermostat and it was open while frozen. so i assume this would be the problem since no current would get to the defroster. I will replace this part. meanwhile after defrosting with hair dryer the fridge is working again. thanks guys. I just have to figure out where to get the part number for this part in my hand.
falon871  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2008 4:52:43 PM(UTC)
falon871

the defrost thermostat was the problem. thank you for all your help. I will be back again
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply