Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jkon2  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 7:16:22 AM(UTC)
jkon2

Groups: Registered

Compressor not running. Both fans (freezer and one near compressor) are running. Tested the compressor with VOM and it tests good. Magnetic start relay tests good with VOM also. What is the other small component Located on top of the magnetic start relay? Any more help as to what may be wrong would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 7:57:34 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Whirlpool ET1MHKXMT06 Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

[COLOR="Blue"]What is the other small component Located on top of the magnetic start relay?[/COLOR]
Could be you are looking at the overload.
If yes then it should be 0 ohms when cool.

I am assuming that you checked the compressor windings for resistance and continuity. Also that you checked that they were not grounded.
Note that these test can tell you that a compressor is bad but do not tell you that it is good as it may have internal mechanical problems.

Also if the start relay measures OK and looks OK it does not mean that it is good as the contacts may not be closing.
Or is some cases opening which would cause the compressor to overheat.

Be sure that it does use a start relay as the tech sheet shows some unit use a PTC and there is no good way to check these.
File Attachment(s):
ET1MH.pdf (525kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
jkon2  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 8:24:12 AM(UTC)
jkon2

Thanks so much denman. Yes I tested the compressor for continuity and resistance. I am not an appliance guy but am well experienced in electronics and am very handy. So much for info on the good old internet. So the compressor can still be bad. I tested the magnetic start relay one way then turned it upside down. Continuity one way and open the other way but I guess I cannot assume that is OK also? The other component that is on top of the start relay is the overload protector I assume? Is it thermal? In other words once it cools down will work again? I tried plugging it back up after having it out for a while but no dice. Or is the overload protector act like a fuse...once open then it's done. I'll have to wait til I get home from work to check but it sounds more and more like it may be time for a new frigerator. I can't stand that it is only 8 years old but the appliance place that I bought it from new is very reputable and honest. The guy that delivered it and set it up said that most new refrigerators are not going to get more than ten years on them. Not like the good old days when 20 years on a frig was no big deal. I would assume just to have a reppair tech walk in the house is going to be 100 bucks then plus parts. Is it true that new frigs are generally no good for more than 10 years? I just thought if it was something simple like $25-$50 part that I could put in would then be worth it. But now I cannot even assume that the compressor is good. For God's sake it could be the electonic board which I see runs over $200 for the part. Not worth it!
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2015 12:52:09 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]Continuity one way and open the other way but I guess I cannot assume that is OK also?[/COLOR]
Correct at lewast not 100% sure.
[COLOR="Blue"]
The other component that is on top of the start relay is the overload protector I assume?[/COLOR]
Correct.

[COLOR="Blue"]Is it thermal?[/COLOR]
Yes but it should reset once it gets to cool down.
mjr46  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2015 6:18:09 AM(UTC)
mjr46

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
[COLOR="Blue"]Continuity one way and open the other way but I guess I cannot assume that is OK also?[/COLOR]
Correct at lewast not 100% sure.
[COLOR="Blue"]
The other component that is on top of the start relay is the overload protector I assume?[/COLOR]
Correct.

[COLOR="Blue"]Is it thermal?[/COLOR]
Yes but it should reset once it gets to cool down.

don't be so sure the relay is good because it tests good, both my compressor and relay passed all the tests, relay was bad, confirmed by installing a hard start device.......go to your local appliance store and buy a 3 in 1 and install it, they cost 15 bucks = cheap insurance if it works and not a big cost
jkon2  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2015 2:29:54 AM(UTC)
jkon2

It was a bad compressor overload protector. Picked a new one up yesterday and installed it. That did the trick and the frig was nice and cold this morning. I cleaned the condesor coils which I hadn't done in the 8 years I owned it. Wonder if that put a strain on the compressor? Thanks All!
jkon2  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2015 2:32:41 AM(UTC)
jkon2

Forgot to say...Parts place didn't have the relay but he will today and I will install a new relay after work today. Thanks Again!
denman  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2015 6:20:16 AM(UTC)
denman

You are welcome.

I am glad to hear that you did not have to use a hard start kit as they can be hard on the compressor and should only be used as a last resort.

You unit should be more efficient now with clean condenser coils.

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply