Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Richmaytag  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2008 9:36:02 AM(UTC)
Richmaytag

Groups: Registered

Freezer temp will not go down less that 17 degrees. Slow ice maker operation results. Soft ice cream
Temp will not go down any further after adjusting controls. Condenser clean, all fans fine, defrost cycle works, no freezer frost - evaporator no ice at all.
Runs all time except for when defrost cycle kicks in.

Low on gas? What type? suction line pressure at 78 degrees ambient?

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

icehouse  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2008 3:31:39 PM(UTC)
icehouse

Groups: Senior Expert

Fact: Refrain from putting gauges on a system until you have checked everything else out. Proper voltage, amperage, evaporator coils free of ice. condenser coils absolutely clean. Only then install gauges.
Then check system "Superheat" by measuring suction line temperature taken six inches away from compressor and low side pressure (this is an R-134a unit). subtract. You should have 9*F.
Example: Low side pressure = 8 psig
Suction line temperature = 12* F.
Using a pressure temperature chart convert suction pressure to saturation temperature. Subtract saturation temperature from suction temperature, the results is "Superheat"
In this case saturation temperature is 3* F.
Suction line temperature (12* F. ) minus saturation temperature (3* F.)
equals 9* F.
:)
Richmaytag  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2008 5:14:24 PM(UTC)
Richmaytag

Hi Icehouse,

My condenser coil is immaculate and both the fans work properly. I have measured my AC voltage and I have a nominal 123.7. With the refrigerator running in its normal cycle it is pulling only .9 to 1 amp! I attempted to get a temp reading at six inches from the compressor but was not successful with the digital thermometer I have. But I can tell you that the temp is no 12 degrees fahrenheit or anything close . I have worked on car AC's and know what the ideal air output of 43 degrees is like and this is no where close !!!!!!!Went way past the six inches and suction is a tad cooler but that is it. I tried my sniffer at the solder joint between the compressor and condensor - negative. If there is a leak it has to be on the low side because by now it should basically have nada in there. But I do not think there is a leak because it has always worked like this from the day I got it. Never had a hassle with the ice maker so I never took temp readings.

Also noticed that unit was manufactured and filled on 3/31/04. This unit carries a 5 year warranty on sealed system; is a leak or underfill of R134 covered under the warranty? Will be checking with Maytag tomorrow.

Thanks for your feedback. What do you think
icehouse  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2008 5:26:37 PM(UTC)
icehouse

Originally Posted by: Richmaytag Go to Quoted Post
Hi Icehouse,

My condenser coil is immaculate and both the fans work properly. I have measured my AC voltage and I have a nominal 123.7. With the refrigerator running in its normal cycle it is pulling only .9 to 1 amp! I attempted to get a temp reading at six inches from the compressor but was not successful with the digital thermometer I have. But I can tell you that the temp is no 12 degrees fahrenheit or anything close . I have worked on car AC's and know what the ideal air output of 43 degrees is like and this is no where close !!!!!!!Went way past the six inches and suction is a tad cooler but that is it. I tried my sniffer at the solder joint between the compressor and condensor - negative. If there is a leak it has to be on the low side because by now it should basically have nada in there. But I do not think there is a leak because it has always worked like this from the day I got it. Never had a hassle with the ice maker so I never took temp readings.

Also noticed that unit was manufactured and filled on 3/31/04. This unit carries a 5 year warranty on sealed system; is a leak or underfill of R134 covered under the warranty? Will be checking with Maytag tomorrow.

Thanks for your feedback. What do you think
Sealed system is covered under warranty. :)
Richmaytag  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2008 6:51:48 PM(UTC)
Richmaytag

Thanks for the warranty info. So U agree that based on the parameters I cited that I am low on refrigerant?
icehouse  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2008 5:38:07 AM(UTC)
icehouse

Thanks for the warranty info. So U agree that based on the parameters I cited that I am low on refrigerant?
Partially frosted coils, low amperage draw leads one in that direction.
Richmaytag  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 12:21:27 PM(UTC)
Richmaytag

Hi Iceman,
Repair person here today and it appears he agrees with our diagnosis regarding the problem being in the sealed cooling system. He is going to return and wants to replace the drier. Is he on the right track? Could it be the compressor? If so, wouldn't it be smart for him to bring along a compressor in case his drier "fix" does not do the trick?

I not only noticed the low amperage draw but also noticed that when you unplug the unit and then plug it back in, the compressor kicks in right away and does not wait for the pressures to equalize so it can start. I still think it is a low gas situation.

What do U think? Incidently , I use to live in Huntington Sta.

Thanks
icehouse  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 2:19:12 PM(UTC)
icehouse

Hi Iceman,
Repair person here today and it appears he agrees with our diagnosis regarding the problem being in the sealed cooling system. He is going to return and wants to replace the drier. Is he on the right track? Could it be the compressor? If so, wouldn't it be smart for him to bring along a compressor in case his drier "fix" does not do the trick?

I not only noticed the low amperage draw but also noticed that when you unplug the unit and then plug it back in, the compressor kicks in right away and does not wait for the pressures to equalize so it can start. I still think it is a low gas situation.

What do U think? Incidently , I use to live in Huntington Sta.

Thanks
Iceman was in "Another 48 Hours", I'm Icehouse and if it started that rapidly there is a leak.
Ask him if he is using the drier with the dye pellet, and UV light. :)
icehouse  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 2:20:39 PM(UTC)
icehouse

Where are you now if you don't mind.
Richmaytag  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 4:54:08 PM(UTC)
Richmaytag

Moved to Port St Lucie, Florida in 2004 - just in time for the two big hurricanes that hit!!!!!!!!!! Got "initiated" fast, real fast!

No idea what you are talking about regarding using drier with dye pellet and UV light but I will ask the dude. Have a gut feeling that the dude will give me a real nice blank stare. Folks down here are very, very nice but the real natives are a tad light between the ears. Thank god there are enough Yank "immigrants" down here for a little mental stimulation.

Reason why I do not think it is a clogged drier is that,( I may be wrong and if so please tell me why), is that my logic tells me that that situation would restrict the flow of refrigerant into the high pressure side of the circuit more, further increase the pressure and make it almost impossible for the compressor to ever start until the pressures equalized over time. For the compressor to start immediately tells me that there is practically no restiction whatsoever on the high pressure side.

Teach me, man, I am willing to learn!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Rich H
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply