Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stan11  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 31, 2010 10:35:20 AM(UTC)
Stan11

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I recently replaced a corroded bake element in my oven. Broiler and cook top worked fine. After changing out the element and upon closing the breaker, the element heated up red hot with the oven temperature set to off. I pulled the back off, removed the new element and measured the voltage at the element terminals (yellow and red)- 238 volts.
I had read on your site that if the element failed by shorting (not sure if this was the case), then the bake relay contacts may have welded shut. So I replaced the relay board (part no. 74001870) and tried it again. This time the element stayed on a very low heat with the oven temp set to off. I removed the element and discovered that when I set the oven temp to anything above zero (control starts it at 350F) I hear a “pop” and the clock/oven control display goes blank. The breaker does not trip, so I turned the breaker off, then on and the oven display (clock/control) resets OK. The broiler, cook top, oven light and fan still work. The bake element resistance reads 24 ohms.
Questions:
1) I read that the clock/oven control is sensitive to fluctuations but other threads have advised replacing the control only because the bake relay is on the control board in many ovens. Mine are separate boards. I inspected the old relay board and the bake contacts are not welded. So before replacing the expensive clock/control I wanted to ask your advice.
2) The wiring diagram does not show any fuses (other than the hi limit thermal switch), so what is “poping” and then resetting?
3) How is current getting to bake element if relay is open (or could relay go closed when power is restored even with oven temp set to off)? What would cause this?
4) Are there other troubleshooting routines I should perform?
5) If I replace the clock/oven control and it turns out not to fix the problem, is it returnable?
This is all pretty puzzling, so your guidance is very much appreciated.

Stan
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Stan11  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 1, 2010 4:14:29 PM(UTC)
Stan11

I found a similar problem to mine on this forum and investigated further. It turned out to be a short between one end of the bake element and the oven back panel. Apparently, the new bake element had a longer reach through the back of the oven than the old one. Solved problem by bending the terminal tab upward to a 90 degree angle. This gave adequate clearance to the back panel.
Great forum.

stan
Clear-View  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 10:53:11 AM(UTC)
Clear-View

I need that very relay board and am willing to buy it from you.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:03:55 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Stan,

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your diagnosis and repair with us. It is not often we see such situation with a heating element terminals longer than it suppose to be, so your post was very illuminating and instructive.

Thanks again and good luck with your oven.

Gene.
Gene  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:05:08 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Clear-View Go to Quoted Post
I need that very relay board and am willing to buy it from you.

What is the original problem with your oven?

What is the complete model number of the oven?

Gene.
Stan11  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 8, 2010 7:31:27 PM(UTC)
Stan11

Clearview,
I just saw your post. The relay board is available. Contact me via the forum.

Stan