Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PaulH  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2008 9:15:34 AM(UTC)
PaulH

Groups: Registered

I am trying to locate an obsolete part: 20-09-115 (or could be 20-09-116). This is the front right burner for the GCV36G cooktop.
The wife thought it was un-repairable and tossed in the garbage - so I can't repair it :( Kind of urgent as needed in order to close on the sale of our house. Any help would greatly be appreciated!!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2008 8:07:21 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Paul,

I double checked for this part and it is no longer available.

Gene.
andymh  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:33:59 PM(UTC)
andymh

I have that model. I need 3 out of 4 burner knob assemblies (the switches, not the knobs). Or I might get rid of it. If you still have yours, maybe one of us can salvage the cooktop.
ChrisLadd  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2008 5:58:36 AM(UTC)
ChrisLadd

The switch for the right rear burner on my Thermador GCV36G stove top won't turn anymore. The part is listed as number 16. Anyone still have one of those?
andymh  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2008 6:40:36 AM(UTC)
andymh

Originally Posted by: ChrisLadd Go to Quoted Post
The switch for the right rear burner on my Thermador GCV36G stove top won't turn anymore. The part is listed as number 16. Anyone still have one of those?

I had this problem on 3 of 4 of my burners, and it turned out that on all 3, it was corrosion on the valve cylinder. I was able to break the corrosion on 2 of the 3 and restore them without replacing any parts. The one unsuccessful attempt was my first where I tried to break the corrosion with the dial. Don't do this. I only managed to break the metal locking tab, which rendered that dial completely useless. Here's what to do:

• First, turn off the gas to your stove. (It is very easy to pull out the valve cylinder and permit gas to flow at high volume into your kitchen.)
  • Remove the dials and raise the stove top to expose the valves.
  • Remove the screws holding on the black starter switch (I'm telling you this from memory -- so there may be one or two steps I'm forgetting -- but they should be obvious.) For example, you may have to remove the electrical leads to the starter switch.
  • Remove the spring that covers the solid valve cylinder.
  • With a pair of pliers, carefully grip the top of the cylinder, and with some bit of force, turn the cylinder back and forth until it turns easily. I did not apply WD40 or graphite lubricant as I wasn't certain this was advisable, and simply breaking the corrosion was sufficient.
  • Reassemble the valve. I found that a flathead screwdriver was helpful in holding down the spring while replacing the starter switch.
  • Test that the dial now can turn and that the starter also sparks.
  • Turn on the gas and be certain none is leaking.
Hope this works for you. Let me know.
ChrisLadd  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2008 8:36:39 AM(UTC)
ChrisLadd

Unbelievable. It was only one burner. It was gas, so I wasn't going to mess with it if I couldn't just buy a new valve. But for you it was three valves. And necessity is the mother of invention. Thanks ten times over.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply