Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
billinaz29  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:36:07 AM(UTC)
billinaz29

Groups: Registered

Hello,

Don't currently have model number (Part No. is GE 162D7734P011). It's a GE side-by-side with icemaker about 7 years old in a condo @ Mammoth Lakes. I brought the owners manual home with me, but all it gave me was the above part number. Problem is: last 2 times I've been up there, I've had to defrost the coils with a hair dryer. I understand the solution is to replace either/all the defrost heater, thermostat, and timer. My question is how to replace these elements. With the freezer compartment panel off, are these items readily indentifiable/available for replacement, or do I have to look in a different location? Sure appreciate any help/advice you could give. Thanks much,

Bill Salmond (Tucson, Az.)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

roycreamer  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:47:30 PM(UTC)
roycreamer

Groups: Expert

bad model number...the heaters and tstat are behind that freezer panel, but i'm not sure where the timer is on this box. i think it's in the refrig section where the controls are at the top.

hope this helps...
billinaz29  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2008 9:07:08 AM(UTC)
billinaz29

Thanks for your response. Went back to my condo at Mammoth last W/E and had to de-ice it again with a hair dryer. GE Model number is TFX22-PRDAWW. Hope this helps to ID it more correctly. Looked like the only heater element was a 6" horizontal bar at the bottom of the freezer coil ass'y. There also was a 1" dia (small hockey-puck-type) element clipped on at the top of the freezer coil ass'y--is this the thermister?? Could not locate anything in either the freezer compartment or behind the refrig. control panel that looked like a defrost timer clock. Any further comments/advice would sure be appreciated. Thanks much, Bill S.
billinaz29  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 6, 2008 2:44:49 PM(UTC)
billinaz29

Thanks for your response. Went back to my condo at Mammoth last W/E and had to de-ice it again with a hair dryer. GE Model number is TFX22-PRDAWW. Hope this helps to ID it more correctly. Looked like the only heater element was a 6" horizontal bar at the bottom of the freezer coil ass'y. There also was a 1" dia (small hockey-puck-type) element clipped on at the top of the freezer coil ass'y--is this the thermister?? Could not locate anything in either the freezer compartment or behind the refrig. control panel that looked like a defrost timer clock. Any further comments/advice would sure be appreciated. Thanks much, Bill S.
Gene  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 2:44:16 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Bill,

The defrost timer is located in the fresh food compartment (#257 on the break down diagram).

The defrost heater and the defrost thermostat are located behind the rear panel in the freezer (d/heater - #230 on the break down diagram) and d/thermostat - #240 on the break down diagram).

You can find the complete troubleshooting instructions in one of previous posts: http://forum.appliancepartspros...frigerator-too-warm.html

- The part number for the defrost timer is AP2061695

- The part number for the defrost heater assembly (including the defrost thermostat) is AP2071523

- The part number for the defrost thermostat is AP2071262

Here are the break down diagrams for the GE refrigerator Model TFX22PRDAWW

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply