Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DIY_Again!  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2023 9:12:52 AM(UTC)
DIY_Again!

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello, all!

My question is: How can I test the transmission on my machine to determine whether I need an entire new transmission or if I can just get away with a neutral drain kit?

I have a Kenmore Model 80 machine that recently was making a noise. Based on advice from this posting I replaced the basket drive assembly and clutch. But, that didn't fix the issue.

There is also new behavior I don't believe existed before: When the spin cycle first starts, it doesn't drain the water prior to spinning; it spins and drains at the same time. However, it also makes loud grinding and banging noises while doing so. The noise is so bad, I stop the spin cycle rather than let it finish to prevent any further potential damage.

From what I can tell, all signs point to the transmission. Is there any way to determine whether I can get away with a neutral drain rebuild kit or if the transmission is basically shot? I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

[EDIT] I forgot to mention, it seems to agitate as expected without issue.

Model 110.26842694
Brand Sears Kenmore
Age More than 15 years
Transmission 3360629

Edited by user Monday, March 20, 2023 9:44:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Add relevant info.

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.