Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2022 1:10:41 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have an older GE toploader washing machine from 2001 (WBSE2090A0WW) that a few weeks back started making a horrible sound when agitating or spinning. It actually performed fine, just loud as heck, a harsh clunk-clunk roaring/grinding sound. After perusing various forums for advice I did the following:

New tub bearing (no improvement).
Replaced lower transmission bearing (very difficult and the original bearing was leaking and would click-click when rotating so it was definitely due for a replacement)

After that it was still making the harsh clunk-clunk sound, but again would wash my clothes normally. Huh. Ran a few loads and all was well, but just that horrible sound.

Then I thought it might be the clutch. Replacement clutch came in today and after installation it's amazingly quiet!!! The horrible sound is gone!!

But now it won't spin. It tries, it will start spinning for a couple of seconds, building up speed, but then it stop spinning.

I thought it was the switch on the left side of the tub with the air hose. I could pull it off the tub and blow into it and I could hear the switch click behind the control panel, so I don't think that's it.

When it's off and I try and rotate the drum by hand counterclockwise it is pretty difficult, takes some oomph. But I don't know what is normal.

Could it be I got a bad clutch? How could I test the clutch to see?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.