Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
junkie_vince  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 8:00:54 AM(UTC)
junkie_vince

Groups: Registered

Hey everyone,

I have a Whirlpool oven thats been burning everything we try to bake lately. After doing a bit of online research and speaking to Whirlpool's parts distributor I've come to the conclusion that the oven thermostat is the most likely culprit. The parts distributor said that the original part (Robert Shaw Part#RAC12-133-48) has been discontinued and replaced with BSI Part#6700S0011.

Since the parts aren't the same some of the labels are different so I'm not exactly sure which wires go where on the new part. L1 and L2 are easy but the others are a bit confusing.

Thanks in advance :)
junkie_vince attached the following image(s):
WHIRLPOOL - 01.jpg
WHIRLPOOL - 02.jpg
WHIRLPOOL - 03.jpg
WHIRLPOOL - 04.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 4:17:56 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
On your old control 1 and 3 go to the bake element.

2 and 4 go to the broil element.

The pilot light is on 1 and 4.

Did you get wiring instructions with the new control?
junkie_vince  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 2, 2017 3:02:18 AM(UTC)
junkie_vince

Thanks for the info ThatGuy!

I'm a bit confused though.. I can only hook up 1 wire for the pilot light on the new control.. it doesn't have multiple prongs like some of the others. Also, shouldn't anything connect to COM? It allows for up to 3 different wires so I find it odd not to get any.

The new control box did come with a basic sheet. I forgot to include a picture of the wiring schematic in my original post.

Here you go:
junkie_vince attached the following image(s):
Image.jpg
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 2, 2017 5:53:29 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I think the middle diagram is the one we need.

Notice how all three wires bake, broil, and one side of pilot connect to the "common" terminal.

Your new Thermostat has three spade connectors on its common terminal.

Connect one side of each of the bake (red), broil (blue), and pilot wires to common (com3)on the new t-stat.

Connect the other blue (broil) wire to brl2.

Connect the red (bake) wire to bke1.

Connect the other end of the pilot light to pl.

That should do it. Make sure the push-on connections fit snugly. Loose connections generate heat.
6700series  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 17, 2019 6:42:15 PM(UTC)
6700series

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
I think the middle diagram is the one we need.

Notice how all three wires bake, broil, and one side of pilot connect to the "common" terminal.

Your new Thermostat has three spade connectors on its common terminal.

Connect one side of each of the bake (red), broil (blue), and pilot wires to common (com3)on the new t-stat.

Connect the other blue (broil) wire to brl2.

Connect the red (bake) wire to bke1.

Connect the other end of the pilot light to pl.

That should do it. Make sure the push-on connections fit snugly. Loose connections generate heat.

I have the same problem. I followed these steps and the oven will not heat (bake or broil). The pilot light doesn't light either.
6700series  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 17, 2019 6:47:16 PM(UTC)
6700series

Replaced a Robertshaw RAC-12-133-48 with a Exact Replacement Parts Inc. 6700S0011 thermostat kit. Any help would be appreciated!
Eric Lee  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2021 3:00:48 PM(UTC)
Eric Lee

Canada

6700series> I have the same problem. I followed these steps and the oven will not heat (bake or broil). The pilot light doesn't light either.

Same here. Then I checked the 30 amp fuses with a multimeter. It turned out one of them was bad even though it was not obvious, did not look "blown" on visual inspection. I replaced that one and now the oven heats. I'm using the "old" thermostat, the one I thought was broken.

To do a resistance or continuity test with a multimeter:

• Disconnect the power to the range, it's not needed for this test.
  • Power to the multimeter is required for this test so turn the multimeter on.
  • Select the Ohms or Resistance setting, sometimes the Greek letter Omega.
  • Touch the leads together. It should show zero (0) resistance. If it doesn't check the battery in the multimeter.
  • Put one lead (doesn't matter which one) on the metal at the bottom of the fuse and the other on the metal (the screw threads) on the side. The resistance should be zero (0). Try it first on a fuse you know is good.
  • If it's not zero or very near 0 get a new fuse, resistance-test it, and replace the bad one with it.

Another thing I tried before I discovered the bad fuse was a continuity test on the Safety Thermostat which is between the L2 lug on the main thermostat and the right (if you are behind the oven facing forward) 30 amp fuse. (The L1 lug connects to the other 30 amp fuse.) (The wires from L2 to this fuse may be the same colour and and a different colour from others, but don't rely on that entirely.) There should be continuity, that is, resistance should be zero or near zero. If there isn't, the Safety Thermostat may be broken. The Safety Thermostat is near a dime-sized metal "button" in the oven at the upper right, near the capillary tube of the Main Thermostat; it is not in the "head" of the range with all the other controls and so may be difficult to get at. The part number of the Safety Thermostat is 9751448.

If the oven is controlled, say with a timer, from the control panel circuit board, something on the circuit board may be the problem. In my case I don't think the oven is controlled by anything on that board.

A web site with diagrams and part names and numbers for many models of ranges is at youserguide dot com. Search for, for example, WCE34401, the Whirlpool model number.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply